(Topic ID: 244823)

STERN should think about playing the LONG game!

By iceman44

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 149 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by JodyG
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

38E34250-8687-4DF6-9C17-6CBBAC0D758B (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 9.43.38 AM (resized).png
    IMG_1216 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1220 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1221 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1215 (resized).JPG
    dougmackenzie01 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1660 (resized).PNG
    IMG_1999 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheRudyB.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#102 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Throw the cost CALCULATOR in the F ing garbage can!

If you can make the same margin at $8200 on a BKLE then sell it for that (no license fees)

While I have very similar feelings that the price should fit the game and not the game fit the price, I think that stuff on the BKSOR backglass, flyer and elsewhere about Planetary Pinball and Williams Electronics probably means there was some kind of license fee involved. Well ... that and the word "license" too.

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

What, did you take a poll? Most people that I have talked to think the Knight is lacking. He doesn’t move at all. He has a lousy standup target in front of him instead of being a true bash toy. His weapon and shield are not attached to his arms but just kinda there.
    They should have used resources to make him move in some way. Head left to right, body back and forth like well walker, etc. The Black Knight is lame. With how empty the game is and such a cheap license, the BOM has got to be the cheapest of any modern Stern by far. The Knight should have rivaled the MM castle as far as complexity and fun factor. Instead it rivals tie fighter on a spring.

Yeah, why doesn't the knight move? Heck, in reaction to certain events the knight ought to step out of the trench and run around the playfield blocking your shots and doing his best to kick the ball down the center or into the outlanes. And whenever he loses track of where he's standing for a second, you can flip him onto the upper playfield and release all the balls in the catapult on top of him; Pro players get to scramble his brains when he lands in the pops.

#138 4 years ago

To follow on what @snyper2099 said, I am still frankly amazed that a third game in the Black Knight series ever came into being after a 30-year intermission - the last 20 years of which elapsing since WMS stopped making pinballs - along with the less-than-stellar life support prognosis for pinball still being around now back then. I really liked the first two, but I simply "knew" back in 1999 that BK2000 was now relegated to being the only BK sibling. Never thought about it after that.

Then about a year ago the whispers began. Then a few months ago they started getting louder. And louder. Then March 26, 2019 arrived. What I thought was impossible had actually just happened. Not only had pinball had survived, it had been thriving. The third BK game was real. And the designer of that first couple was in charge of this one too.

So even though the grinch thought he had stolen pinball from our lives and our souls and set dark times upon us once more, pinball still came roaring back. For Stern to do BKSOR bodes well too - especially given their penchant for movie, TV, music, etc. licenses.

I'm curious to see how Cosmic Carnival from Suncoast gets received too. But I'm thrilled to see what I hope is just the beginning of a resurgence in non-licensed/original pinball titles (BKSOR counts as it's not one of those TV/movie/music licenses even though rights had to be secured to do a third one.) And I hope more pinball design teams will get the opportunity every once in awhile to take a break from the licensed world to flex their creative muscles and design something completely original - and that those designs are well received alongside the licensed games and help show the wide range of what pinball has to offer players of all ages.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheRudyB.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-should-think-about-playing-the-long-game?tu=TheRudyB and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.