(Topic ID: 244823)

STERN should think about playing the LONG game!

By iceman44

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 149 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by JodyG
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

38E34250-8687-4DF6-9C17-6CBBAC0D758B (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 9.43.38 AM (resized).png
    IMG_1216 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1220 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1221 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1215 (resized).JPG
    dougmackenzie01 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1660 (resized).PNG
    IMG_1999 (resized).JPG
    There are 149 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 4 years ago

There is plenty of room for guys like AP and especially Deeproot to come in and start picking off meaningful chunks of Stern market share.

AP is doing it the right way. Oktoberfest may not be a hugely popular theme but it’s a kick ass FUN deep mode based game that will only get better and they put the consumer first

Can you imagine if someone like DR can come along with all of its coders and graphics people and create a pinball experience that GROWS with each pin over time?

In other words, I buy their pins and we know we will get the Lyman treatment x 2

Maybe updates and new challenges every year

The old Stern model of “hey GB and Munsters sold really well so we don’t have to worry about making the experience better”.....

If DR or anybody can change that old model, I’m in and I suspect many others will be as well

For HUO these are expensive toys that the manufacturer should think about ways to extend the long term experience versus same old same old

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Maybe updates and new challenges every year

I think that would work if the pin itself could be easily rethemed but whole new layout and experience even if its cookie cutter style is tough to beat. Theres something about the NIB experience and the goodbye process to a pin uv had ur time with, like women. you can change the hair, teach her a new language, new clothes but......................nuff said.

#3 4 years ago

Public relations wise, Munsters is a critical title to the long run of Stern. Everyone will point to as an example, how Stern treats the coding, depth and most importantly show series integration of that table. They must get it right there, even though selling well and show the fans they will give us our monies worth in regard to code. The game looks and shoots well. Code is the only achilles heal of the game. It is fun, but needs that lasting depth for us home buyers.

If Stern shows us they don’t care, as long as sales are good, because no matter the game everyone wants more code, a keystone title like Munsters won’t go down well with the community in the long run. They simply need to hit it out of the park on that title for sure, imo.

#4 4 years ago

Without a doubt the elephant in the room with Stern is definitely coding or lack thereof. if somebody there at this point doesn't know they have a problem with coding than that is a serious issue. One of the absolute biggest bitches as far as lack of coding is Ghostbusters and how many years ago was that now? And now here we are still talking about a lack of depth and coding on the newest game that they're putting all their hopes on. It's a systemic problem and if they don't curb that problem now I think it's ultimately going to drive people to other vendors it's inevitable. Or at least my two cents worth I guess

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I think that would work if the pin itself could be easily rethemed but whole new layout and experience even if its cookie cutter style is tough to beat. Theres something about the NIB experience and the goodbye process to a pin uv had ur time with, like women. you can change the hair, teach her a new language, new clothes but......................nuff said.

It’s hard for me to love em and leave BUT I get that sentiment

I’m thinking LCD animation changes to keep it fresh and some new code to create some different challenges

In other words, a little nip and tuck, breast enhancement, etc

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

In other words, a little nip and tuck, breast enhancement, etc

Ok, I see where u going. I'm in.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

the manufacturer should think about ways to extend the long term experience

Quoted from Hazoff:

would work if the pin itself could be easily rethemed

Multimorphic already does this. If you want more of that, buy their pins and encourage others to buy them too. Their modular approach works best with a robust variety of game choices.

#8 4 years ago

I really like Sterns and the ones I have. But after seeing the cheapness of the pins versus what they used to be and getting burned on my last two NIB from them I just can't and won't. On top of the coding issues. I just added a Houdini and love how solid and packed it is. Which definitely has me more interested in Octoberfest these days. I would love to add a MET back in the house but after two bad playfields just on that one I'm just to afraid to try.

#9 4 years ago

You guys are really on to something here.

Makes a lot of sense that the #1 pinball company - by far - should radically rethink their business model. I’m sure they are tired of making money and staying in business.

And as players and collectors, I’m sure we’d all be better off if they took cues from their competition. They should start with eliminating whitewoods, abandoning popular licenses, and ending their troublesome practice of releasing numerous titles a year.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Multimorphic already does this. If you want more of that, buy their pins and encourage others to buy them too. Their modular approach works best with a robust variety of game choices.

I’m anxious to see what theme Gerry has coming that could be a game changer for them

It would drive sales of all their other titles too I would think

If Multi can gain some traction that would be great

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You guys are really on to something here.
    Makes a lot of sense that the #1 pinball company - by far - should radically rethink their business model. I’m sure they are tired of making money and staying in business.
    And as players and collectors, I’m sure we’d all be better off if they took cues from their competition. They should start with eliminating whitewoods, abandoning popular licenses, and stop their troublesome practice of releasing numerous titles a year.

Innovate or die Levi

Remember Kodak? BlackBerry? Etc etc

Keep on doing the same thing, wash rinse and repeat and see what happens

Especially if DR does what I’m talking about

I and many of my fellow past NIB buyers are thinking the same thing.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Innovate or die Levi

Sterns been doing this for 32 years bro.

“Long game” LOL.

Its a little early to be drinking.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Its a little early to be drinking

Naa, it’s a beautiful Saturday afternoon worthy of a cold beer.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

“Long game” LOL.

That’s the kind of attitude that is gonna take em down too

You don’t buy games. I get it

You do recall the barely hung on lean years no?

Arrogance and taking customers for granted will put you right back there

#15 4 years ago

I would be happy if they could make a pin that Didn't have bad playfields or cabinets.

#16 4 years ago

Or some vodka and pinside. After all it's five o clock somewhere

IMG_1999 (resized).JPGIMG_1999 (resized).JPG
    #17 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

That’s the kind of attitude that is gonna take em down too
    You don’t buy games. I get it
    You do recall the barely hung on lean years no?
    Arrogance and taking customers for granted will put you right back there

Or so you and your ilk have been saying for 5 years.

Why not lead by example and put your money where your mouths are? I expect you guys to go all in on AP and multimorph. That’s where the innovation is boys, buy up their stock!

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why not lead by example and put your money where your mouths are? I expect you guys to go all in on AP and multimorph. That’s where the innovation is boys, buy up their stock!

Deeproot

After buying 5 yrs I’m saying the me and many of similar mindset are looking for something new and better, that’s focused on a longer term experience

JJP can’t compete on price, so let’s see what DR does with all that $$$ and talent

Here’s a news flash, it WONT be more of the same old same old. Good or bad

Stern was basically bankrupt and needed a bailout from investors, just like JJP

Yeah, it’s worked out so great for them for 32 years every year. Lol

Its Lyman only for me now, so I’m looking forward to AP, DR and future JJP games and maybe P3

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sears has been in business since 1893. How's that working out?

#20 4 years ago

The pinball machines that don’t exist and can’t buy are always way cooler than the games that do exist and you can buy.

Have fun flipping your innovative deep root games this weekend gang.

#21 4 years ago

Stern is innovating too, just in ways that aren't designed to upend the industry. They're making fun games, promoting the competitive landscape. As the market grows, every piece of the pie gets bigger.

#22 4 years ago

Stern is innovating too

i like their innovation of the power button in the backbox

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

i like their innovation of the power button in the backbox

Yeah remember when they did this and it was the end of the world?

Sarcasm emoji

#24 4 years ago

I just wish they would work on the quality. A multiple thousand dollar product that doesn't last will be their downfall if people do as I have.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

I just wish they would work on the quality. A multiple thousand dollar product that doesn't last will be their downfall if people do as I have.

Then find another thread bro!

This is about how stern needs to innovate if they want to keep up with world-beaters like Oktoberfest.

#26 4 years ago

Quality shouldn't be innovative but it would be for Stern.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Quality shouldn't be innovative but it would be for Stern.

Shouldn't that apply to every manufacturer of pinball machines?

#28 4 years ago

Very simple but I really like color changing lights like some other companies are using. ST LE is the closest example of this.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Innovate or die Levi
    I and many of my fellow past NIB buyers are thinking the same thing.

Remember Pin 2K?
    Everyone wants new and different until it actually happens. Then they hate it.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

A multiple thousand dollar product that doesn't last will be their downfall if people do as I have.

I dunno about quality anymore.
    A dirty 24 and new BK pro both looked great and equally reliable through a recent weekend show.
    The new 12k YBR had issues.
    Oktoberfest seemed ok.
    Let me know when someone gets it right.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I can stone cold guarantee you that my next NIB purchase will be an Oktoberfest. After the first NIB being a Stern I doubt I'll ever buy one again. For the money the game shouldn't play like a whitewood with a pretty paint job. Fool me once. Other companies will and are start to eat their lunch by not chinsing out on their machines and it shows.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Remember Pin 2K?
    Everyone wants new and different until it actually happens. Then they hate it.

NOBODY, but some buttheaded exec, wanted P2k. Nobody.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

I dunno about quality anymore.
    A dirty 24 and new BK pro played through a weekend show just fine.
    The new 12k YBR had issues.
    Let me know when someone figures it out.

It is true that you can read about any machine having some problems and some not. But playfield and cabinets seem to be a problem for one. Toys, boards, switches and stuff are just part of a complex item like pinball.

#34 4 years ago

A pin that would allow you to play against someone somewhere else that owns that same pin. When it's their turn your pin plays in front of you just like they were there minus the crop dusting. Plus it would make for cool videos of pins playing on their own like they were possessed.

#35 4 years ago

It’s not like you are buying a $60 Xbox video game you can put in a box when you are done with it

Just some simple F ing changes to start with

Update a mode challenge or mini wizard once a year

Fully utilize the LCD clips by adding and incorporating them further each year to keep it fresh

The LE model is going to take a huge dump when DR games hit

Those fat juicy profit margins are gonna dry up because NIB buyers will have other better options AND with every release, people are just getting tired of getting F Ed on the secondary market when they go to sell these older stale pins

Further creating a F ing GLUT of high priced ply wood and lights!

Yeah, keep it up, same model

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

The LE model is going to take a huge dump when DR games hit

God I hope so...that would be great.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

ending their troublesome practice of releasing numerous titles a year.

You say this sarcastically but it’s kind of the truth.

#38 4 years ago

As long as Stern manages to release more games than anyone else and get them at 5k they will stay there for a while.

#39 4 years ago

Have you been drinking again Iceman?

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:Sterns been doing this for 32 years bro.
    “Long game” LOL.

The same could be said for Gottlieb. They did it for 45 years and were by far the dominant pinball company for most of those years. When solid state came along, they refused to change, fell way behind and ultimately never caught up. They went from the gold standard to 'has been' in a few years.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Have you been drinking again Iceman?

Not yet. Getting ready to fire up the grill, drink some cold and chilies and hop in the pool

We are baking at 100 degrees today

Optimistic feelings on DR based on what I’m hearing here locally

We shall see

#42 4 years ago

Or how about playing against a computer player even. I think Joust was a cool concept and linked NBAFB. Some thing to give a social environment without being social. But worked better than pinside.

#43 4 years ago
    IMG_1660 (resized).PNGIMG_1660 (resized).PNG
    #44 4 years ago

Sears has been in business since 1893. How's that working out?

A s-l-o-w death

#45 4 years ago

Stern? Meh, I much rather play B/W games.

#46 4 years ago

JJP has been making arguably better pins in the sense of build quality, features, and code for years. Still, I don't think they pose a serious threat to Stern's overall business and you rarely see a JJP on location. When POTC was announced, it was supposed to be a dark night for Stern. LOL. Stern seems to be doing better than ever. Maybe not every pin sells well but they do move pins. Deeproot has been talking big but still have nothing to show while Stern keeps cranking out game after game. If someone can make a premium level pin for a pro price, then that might be something. I doubt that will happen though.

#47 4 years ago

Bring back sam or even whitestar and you will have awesome sterns again that will dominate once more. The golden era for them. Now they are toys for a gameroom and not for location. A friend is an operator and will never buy another new stern until the board set gets fixed.
    He cannot keep a new stern running reliably like the older sterns do. They used to be bullit proof.

Older sterns are going up in value all the time. They were built like tanks. not so much anymore unfortunately. I love stern ..please bring back SAM!

#48 4 years ago

Ice makes good points. When I think of who I want to make a theme I’m interested in, the answer usually isn’t stern. They can make some amazing games, but they also churn out some real duds. It’s a crap shoot. Most of it related to code.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I don't think they pose a serious threat to Stern's overall business and you rarely see a JJP on location.

They don't even post an unserious threat. I hope they continue to make pins and I'd like to buy one in the future so let get our big boy pants on and make something cool JJP still its a boutique company and poses in my opinion zero threat right now. What the hell is "DR" and what games are they making?

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

how about playing against a computer player

Alvin G Football and Soccerball did that.

There are 149 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-should-think-about-playing-the-long-game?hl=vipervs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.