Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by maldoror
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Fotolia_5697547_XS.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

I've seen some folks carping for a return to 1 model (you know, because of fairness, lol)

Rather than reduce the models, if they change anything, they're more likely to develop a Super Limited Platinum Edition machine and make 50 of them! And sit back and watch the deep pocket'ed collectors and speculators trip over one another to buy them!

Then make 10 Titanium models for $20,000, etc. Don't think they'd sell? I wouldn't bet against it.

Peon Class (assemble yourself)
    Pro (slightly crappy)
    Premium (decent machine)
    Limited (decent plus sparkles)
    Platinum Super Limited (extra $11 toy, $2 plaque for folks pin-peen)
    Titanium (includes Stern delivery and setup in your home, and a free shasta)

The recent chaos over the METLE is clearly marketing genius by Stern.... expect more, not less in the future...

#2 11 years ago

Thanks. There weren't enough of these threads

#3 11 years ago

I agree 100%, I am in on titanium, just because I haven't has a Shasta since 1984.

Realistically, I like the 2 models theory. Pro and premium, some people cannot afford the premium, so to have a more affordable model is good. It is truly the biggest bang for the buck (I guarantee they make less %). Then for fun, they take a premium and make a limited edition model. They sell out quick and are not designed for everyone to be able to get one (ie limited edition). If everyone got one it would be the premium right......

So they could just quit making a limited I guess, just to eliminate whining, but what's the fun in that, I like the LE principle. I like the chase, scoring 1 of 250, it's a great financial move for Stern because we are paying for limited which is mostly profit.

Good for Stern, and good for us.

#4 11 years ago

Yes, I think its going to be MORE versions, not fewer based on recent activities...

But, one title that ends up as a bust, and then all bets are off.

My bet on the "bust" pin will be the Angry Birds Platinum LE Edition

#5 11 years ago

We don't need MORE versions of one pin.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

The recent chaos over the METLE is clearly marketing genius by Stern.... expect more, not less in the future...

Better yet...Carl delivers it himself for $25 and gives you an 1 hr intense lesson on it with a 10 minute deli meat sandwich break. Titanium edition should at least include a warm Pepsi Blue or Crystal Pepsi.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Thanks. There weren't enough of these threads

Quoted from kwiKimart:

one pin..... THATS IT!

#8 11 years ago

I agree the pro/premium model is the way to go.

When I see a new stern in the wild, it is almost always a Pro. They're out there and if collectors could get over the 'keeping up with the Joneses' they would find they're plenty fun to play. I've never met a non-pinhead who said, "this just feels like it's missing something" or anything to that effect.

The forums don't paint a complete picture. Non-hobbyist ops around here are rare.

As for LEs, the more of a 'line outside the club' mentality stern can create, the better for them.

#9 11 years ago

I actually think being able to customize your game in different ways would be great. For example, we have people who can't have a female on the game or any sort of adult theme. Yet what if there was an optional, edgy translite made for every game? The apron is another spot that could easily be customized - the rule card and pricing sheet areas are basically wasted in home collections.

#10 11 years ago

There should be 2.

1. Cheap lesser version that will get completely f'd up on location within 6 months.
    2. Premium for us.

This way they can simply make as many as needed.

#11 11 years ago

One pin please...

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

One pin please...

Quoted from kwiKimart:

Quoted from beatmaster:

one pin..... THATS IT!

Good news for ALL of you guys. There is ALWAYS *ONE PIN* for you to choose from. It's called the Pro, and it's not that expensive (relatively). If you’re truly in it for the “sport” then quit complaining and buy that one. If you don't want the extra *options,* you don't have to pay for 'em - you can ALWAYS buy the base model. If you do want it "fully loaded," it’s gonna you cost a bit more. Get used to it!

Be careful what you wish for with your "one pin" remarks...do you only want one version of the “more expensive” Premium (so you can complain about the price) or do you only want the one "more affordable” – ‘base’ model (so you can complain about it being neutered) Pro? You’re not going to get both…no matter how many of these posts you guys write.

#13 11 years ago

Wow, some of you guys really took the bait on this one

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from molspin:

Good news for ALL of you guys. There is ALWAYS *ONE PIN* for you to choose from. It's called the Pro, and it's not that expensive (relatively). If you’re truly in it for the “sport” then quit complaining and buy that one. If you don't want the extra *options,* you don't have to pay for 'em - you can ALWAYS buy the base model. If you do want it "fully loaded," it’s gonna you cost a bit more. Get used to it!
    Be careful what you wish for with your "one pin" remarks...do you only want one version of the “more expensive” Premium (so you can complain about the price) or do you only want the one "more affordable” – ‘base’ model (so you can complain about it being neutered) Pro? You’re not going to get both…no matter how many of these posts you guys write.

one pin means one fully load reasonable price pin, not 2, 3, 4, 5 version, pro, premium, le, se, sx, dx vhs, dtx, surround, masterizing... one pin! thats it!

this way nobody cry about translite, color, cabinet, i got f?&c by stern, didn't get my le, won't make any money, ''hey look what i got'', mine is better than yours, or this or that.

don't care about the price, just one f@#%!n' pin.

simple.

#15 11 years ago

Base and Deluxe - built as needed.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from beatmaster:

one pin means one fully load reasonable price pin, not 2, 3, 4, 5 version, pro, premium, le, se, sx, dx vhs, dtx, surround, masterizing... one pin! thats it!
    this way nobody cry about translite, color, cabinet, i got f?&c by stern, didn't get my le, won't make any money, ''hey look what i got'', mine is better than yours, or this or that.
    simple.

Sounds like you have a problem making a decision when you have choices. Good luck with that.

#17 11 years ago

Yes they will and all four of the Metallica band members will only have them.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from Propaganda:

Yep, then you can take a sh!t on all the dudes that bought the "Base" and try to make it a "Deluxe" like you do in all of the TRON Pro threads. ...which I do occasionally laugh at BTW...especially that "snail light cycle" pic. LOL

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from molspin:

Sounds like you have a problem making a decision when you have choices. Good luck with that.

thank for the thumb down, sounds like you can't respect other peoples opinion. good luck with that!

never said i can't make a decision, i see you don't get it, re-read again.

#20 11 years ago

Sorry, sweetheart. I think I gave you a thumbs down by mistake - iPad miss-tap (I've removed that for you, I apologize, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings). That said, I did disagree with your post and think you missed the point of mine...you're simply not going to get "everything you want for one low price." That's not how things work over here. I don't think that's how Canada does it either, but I might be wrong?

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

Better yet...Carl delivers it himself for $25 and gives you an 1 hr intense lesson on it with a 10 minute deli meat sandwich break. Titanium edition should at least include a warm Pepsi Blue or Crystal Pepsi.

I much prefer the Pepsi Clear............or a New Coke.

#22 11 years ago

First time ever consumers want FEWER choices?

Why?

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from beatmaster:

simple.

Wrong.

What you are saying is that if Stern just released the first Premium Metallica that nobody would cry about the translite? Makes no sense at all.

#24 11 years ago

One pin please...

Ah, the "Model-T Ford" approach to variety....

excellent. welcome to 1909!!

Fotolia_5697547_XS.jpgFotolia_5697547_XS.jpg

#25 11 years ago

I dont understand the issues with options? If they make one pin, lets say ACDC Premium, then you would buy the ACDC premium, If they make an ACDC pro, a premium, and an LE you can still just buy the ACDC premium..... right?

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

I dont understand the issues with options? If they make one pin, lets say ACDC Premium, then you would buy the ACDC premium, If they make an ACDC pro, a premium, and an LE you can still just buy the ACDC premium..... right?

of course.

I think the unspoken problem is some folks don't like having LE options because, frankly, they wont have one....

I would think buyers would like the ability to dial-into the machine that bests suits them- rather than have some marketing guy pick the ONE (hopefully) everyone will like.

#27 11 years ago

Titanium Edition and Lyman comes out and teaches you all the rules and how to play and I'm in

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from molspin:

which I do occasionally laugh at BTW...especially that "snail light cycle" pic. LOL

The Tron Pro guys have been licking that mod developers pinballs for like a year now hoping for a solution to their lighting desires. The whole, “back to the drawing board situation” is a ridiculous let down that merits a WTF. As of today, it’s still not available. The snail clearly symbolizes the pace at which this “WIP” project progresses.

I just want two choices: a base model for the operators that is affordable, and a deluxe model for the pinheads.

#29 11 years ago

No...we should be going back in time to one edition only that has everything on it. If you want plated siderails, shaker, or upgraded backglass you should be able to buy it separately and install it yourself or pay the dealer to install it.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from molspin:

Sorry, sweetheart. I think I gave you a thumbs down by mistake - iPad miss-tap (I've removed that for you, I apologize, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings). That said, I did disagree with your post and think you missed the point of mine...you're simply not going to get "everything you want for one low price." That's not how things work over here. I don't think that's how Canada does it either, but I might be wrong?

thank you i feel better now. again, i said i don't care about the price, never said low price, i said one reasonable price. told you re-read...
    canada, usa, uk, whats the difference?

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

No...we should be going back in time to one edition only that has everything on it. If you want plated siderails, shaker, or upgraded backglass you should be able to buy it separately and install it yourself or pay the dealer to install it.

exactly!
    my god! this guy understood was i was saying/thinking. i rest my case!

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Peon Class (assemble yourself)
    Pro (slightly crappy)
    Premium (decent machine)
    Limited (decent plus sparkles)
    Platinum Super Limited (extra $11 toy, $2 plaque for folks pin-peen)

I wouldn't mind the Titanium, but only if that Shasta will be washing down deli meats.

#33 11 years ago

There should be an Unobtainium edition with a run of a single unit and James Cameron gets first dibs.

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from beatmaster:

thank you i feel better now. again, i said i don't care about the price, never said low price, i said one reasonable price. told you re-read...
    canada, usa, uk, whats the difference?

No hard feelings I hope? I think we both just have different opinions on this. Agreeing to disagree is OK by me too BTW. At the end of the day, I just want to play (and own) pinball machines. *That* I think we can both agree on.

#35 11 years ago

delete...tried to edit

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from Propaganda:

+1

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

First time ever consumers want FEWER choices?
    Why?

It's not the choices part that bothers them. It's their perception they're getting less of a game if one is lower priced than the other. For some people it's not possible to have fun if they're playing the pro. I sort of pity of them - IM, Tron Pro and ACDC Pro are fantastic games on their own.

What they really want is what's included in the premium at a pro price, and as someone already pointed out, no matter how many posts they complain about it, it ain't ever gonna happen.

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from molspin:

No hard feelings I hope? I think we both just have feelings for this. Agreeing to disagree is OK by me too BT. At the end of the day, I just want to play (and own) pinball machines. *That* I think we can both agree on.

agreed! no hard feeling here, it's just pinball.

#39 10 years ago

You never seen bally wms putting out le or a deluxe version of a game. Only after the taf made a killing for ops. They decided to celebrate with a gold version. Le versions now are more for bragging rights.

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from mario_1_up:

You never seen bally wms putting out le or a deluxe version of a game. Only after the taf made a killing for ops. They decided to celebrate with a gold version. Le versions now are more for bragging rights.

...is Bally / Wms still making pinball machines???

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

It's not the choices part that bothers them. It's their perception they're getting less of a game if one is lower priced than the other. For some people it's not possible to have fun if they're playing the pro. I sort of pity of them - IM, Tron Pro and ACDC Pro are fantastic games on their own.
    What they really want is what's included in the premium at a pro price, and as someone already pointed out, no matter how many posts they complain about it, it ain't ever gonna happen.

Heck....I paid extra for the AC/DC premium just so I would not have to look at that sick looking Angus mug on the playfield. No way would I buy a machine that would give me such a view. I'd rather see my ex-wife's ugly ass on a game than that face.
    Lesson learned for Stern is even though there are lots of features people want to see on a game, there are some things we do NOT want to see.

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I wouldn't mind the Titanium, but only if that Shasta will be washing down deli meats.

sweet. glad a few picked up on the Shasta reference...

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

Heck....I paid extra for the AC/DC premium just so I would not have to look at that sick looking Angus mug on the playfield. No way would I buy a machine that would give me such a view. I'd rather see my ex-wife's ugly ass on a game than that face.
    Lesson learned for Stern is even though there are lots of features people want to see on a game, there are some things we do NOT want to see.

Regardless, everything that makes ACDC premium a frenetic good time is, if anything, amplified on the pro. You just get no breaks playing it. It's super fast. It's sort of like IM but with deeper rules.

#44 10 years ago

By the time our kids buy pinballs there will be an LE version for each LE version.

Whatever it takes to keep the customers all happy.

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Yeah, that's how I read it too. Any "one model only" thread feels like a price complaint thread in disguise to me. People who want one model are those who can't afford/justify/get in on an LE or Premium. They don't want to get a Pro because they don't want to miss out on any of the cool features on the LE/Premium side.

Totally understandable, but really not a way that Stern will go as I doubt they could stay afloat with that sort of business model.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

By the time our kids buy pinballs there will be an LE version for each LE version.
    Whatever it takes to keep the customers all happy.

if effect, you already have that today, as the very first thing that many do to their "le" games is "mod" them...

to be honest, many probably spend far more time modding them than playing them, because heaven forbid the machine should actually show any signs that it has been played...

#47 10 years ago

I'm good with the current options available but what if they offered Pro, Premium, and LE, only kept producing each of them going forward?
    LE models wouldn't skyrocket simply due to supply, and if you really liked the theme, you could wait until the bugs were worked out, and then spend a little more to get the fanciest pin available for that model?
    Finding a way to ruin the speculator market doesn't hurt the hobby as far as I can tell.

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

Yeah, that's how I read it too. Any "one model only" thread feels like a price complaint thread in disguise to me. People who want one model are those who can't afford/justify/get in on an LE or Premium. They don't want to get a Pro because they don't want to miss out on any of the cool features on the LE/Premium side.

spot on.

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Ah, the "Model-T Ford" approach to variety....
    excellent. welcome to 1909!!

That's funny! Any color you want ...............

#50 10 years ago

lol "peon class"

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-should-build-a-super-limited-model-next-maybe-a-super-super-le-too and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.