(Topic ID: 297059)

Stern shooter lanes now look wacky

By whoknowsgoi

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

a82e8355915bf71ac2938d626a13bc085ea4bce6 (resized).jpg
    391A761E-B0FA-439A-BF8B-5A581C521A0D (resized).jpeg
    4CC8E488-717B-4811-8897-E12FA4B2BF27 (resized).jpeg
    4D69228E-F271-4F9E-96C2-3647CA44410C (resized).jpeg
    ABA42E81-4975-4AEE-A511-3237BFF6CA70 (resized).jpeg

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

Anyone else’s new stern games shooter lanes look janky now?

ABA42E81-4975-4AEE-A511-3237BFF6CA70 (resized).jpegABA42E81-4975-4AEE-A511-3237BFF6CA70 (resized).jpeg
    #2 2 years ago

Looks like wood to me?

#3 2 years ago

The next time I give a shit what my shooter lane looks like will be the first time.

#4 2 years ago

Those marks? Mine were always clean looking

#5 2 years ago

That's just the wood grain. Come on.

#6 2 years ago

Looks pretty sweet...like a nice pool cue

#7 2 years ago

God damn cleared over wood product showing that god damn wood grain.

#8 2 years ago

Yeah and I remember when the bubble in the level was bigger too! They are just budget cutting on air I suspect!

#9 2 years ago

Stern needs to pull a zidware and eliminate the shooter lane altogether. It would just make life easier for everybody.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from whoknowsgoi:

Anyone else’s new stern games shooter lanes look janky now?[quoted image]

According to the title of this thread, it sounded like they were ALL like that now.

I like that dark woodgrain there, makes it look unique. That wood's probably stronger too, like a knothole.

#11 2 years ago

C'mon guys, give him a break. It looks different (although I think it looks cool) than most playfields. If this were a for sale ad then pinsiders would be ripping on the "jacked up shooter lane"....telling him price should be adjusted for defective shooter lane

#12 2 years ago

anyone on this hobby who cares one bit about the shooter lane is a bozo.

yah you.... the guys who put mylar in it to "protect" it.

#13 2 years ago

that's nothing but naturally occurring wood grain. it happens in all things made of wood. including, but not limited to furniture, musical instruments, countertops, baseball bats, snow shoes, decks, speaker cabinets, shingles, toilet seats, coffins, and pinball machines. and not just Stern pinball machines, either. i think it looks great. gives it character!

#14 2 years ago

Normal

#15 2 years ago

Mine looks like that too. I think it's cool.

#16 2 years ago

Man - I don’t think you can live with that. I’ll do you a huge favor and give you $8500 for it. It’s the charitable thing to do.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

I just don't want it cracking to the point of releasing crumbs. It can happen.

#18 2 years ago

Have you ever tried to sell a game on here?

#19 2 years ago

Who are you to criticize. This hobby got lots of people who pay attention to small details. Otherwise who would care to pay for HEP treatment. We like to look at nice things.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from twenty84:

Have you ever tried to sell a game on here?

#21 2 years ago

I think it looks cool , reminds u this shit is hand made

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from MMP:

Who the fuck are you to criticize. This hobby got lots of people who pay attention to small details. Otherwise who would care to pay for HEP treatment. We like to look at nice things.

a good number of you need some mental health counseling

You are playing a game made of cheap wood and plastic with a metal ball slamming into everything and you expect it to look perfect?

And yes I have sold a ton of games over the years and I know to avoid anyone who asks stupid nit picky cosmetic questions.

#23 2 years ago

You are playing a game made of cheap wood and plastic with a metal ball slamming into everything and you expect it to look perfect?

u new here?

#24 2 years ago

This shooter lane looks good.It’s symmetrical and consistent. There are some knots that were exposed in lower plys during the routing process but I have seen way worse.

#25 2 years ago

Well he is right some of us do need mental counseling . 25k for a monster bash remake ? Come on ! Psssh

#26 2 years ago

Im newish on here but Ive been in the hobby years longer than most of the people on here (especially the ones upset over their shooter lane wear and "dimpling")

#27 2 years ago

And yes I have sold a ton of games over the years and I know to avoid anyone who asks stupid nit picky cosmetic questions.

Why would Cliffy sell so many protectors if people did not care about the condition of their games? I swear this place sometimes is a losing battle where things only matter when buying.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I think it looks cool , reminds u this shit is hand made

Agree- reminds me of the random wood burning set I got from my artsy aunt as a kid.

4D69228E-F271-4F9E-96C2-3647CA44410C (resized).jpeg4D69228E-F271-4F9E-96C2-3647CA44410C (resized).jpeg

#29 2 years ago

Im newish on here ....

No shit.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from MMP:

Why would Cliffy sell so many protectors if people did not care about the condition of their games? I swear this place sometimes is a losing battle where things only matter when buying.

Cause allot of modern buyers are anal retentive nut jobs.

Most of y'all buy games without even playing them first and then when you get one dont even play it because you dont want it to get any wear.

And Im the weird one here??

#31 2 years ago

Why do people get so concerned about what gets said online. Just because some rando online tries to beat you up over a shooter lane, that does NOT actually mean your pin is worth less. There are lunatics at both ends, people that think pins are worth insane amounts and those that act like a pin is worth nothing for the most minor of things.

#32 2 years ago

Im newish on here but Ive been in the hobby years longer than most of the people on here (especially the ones upset over their shooter lane wear and "dimpling")

Then you know shooter lane pics were always requested on for-sale ads, even back in the RGP days. Was generally the quickest way to gauge the mileage on games coming off route. Nothing wrong with Cliffys or mylar protecting the shooterlane; they take a beating through normal play. Especially now with all the multiball-centric newer games.

#33 2 years ago

OP, did you pay extra for that premium shooter lane?

#34 2 years ago

I love when shooter lanes have grain and natural features in them.

4CC8E488-717B-4811-8897-E12FA4B2BF27 (resized).jpeg4CC8E488-717B-4811-8897-E12FA4B2BF27 (resized).jpeg
    #35 2 years ago

Yikes. What game is that? Did it come from the factory that way, or was this an aftermarket beltsander incident?

Quoted from Bud:

[quoted image]

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bud:

[quoted image]

This shooter lane reminds me of a cigar bar with those old wrinkly couches. I can just imagine and smell the aging.

#37 2 years ago

It looks like the fossil of a nice pool cue.

What's the problem here?

#38 2 years ago

Not any wackyier than me!

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from High_End_Pins:

This shooter lane looks good.It’s symmetrical and consistent. There are some knots that were exposed in lower plys during the routing process but I have seen way worse.

One thing that I will point out is that the OP’s pic shows a slight indentation where the ball kicks out in the shooter lane on the right side. Looks like a Mando as the pin.

I had a same issue happening real quick after unboxing a TMNT pro. The factory eject power is stupid high. I have that down to like 20% or something now… plus Cliffies to boot. No need to have the shooter eject power up that high in a home setting unless you want your shooter lane to look like a 30yr old game after a month.

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

The factory eject power is stupid high. I have that down to like 20% or something now

I wonder why it's set so high from the factory. I keep forgetting to lower mine on EHOH. Luckily I installed a full lane protector when I unboxed the game.

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

I wonder why it's set so high from the factory. I keep forgetting to lower mine on EHOH. Luckily I installed a full lane protector when I unboxed the game.

Yes, you should always be protected when playing with Elvira.

#42 2 years ago

So if those are knots in the ply is there a potential for them to grow or shrink inconsistently with the surrounding wood?

And it does look pretty sweet, like a pool cue.

#43 2 years ago

How long until someone suggests a class action lawsuit?

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

That would be a class act.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

It was mentioned many years ago when BBB was rumored to being re-remade.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from ctl723:

Yikes. What game is that? Did it come from the factory that way, or was this an aftermarket beltsander incident?

Thats JJP POTC

#47 2 years ago

Of course it is. Don't know why I'm surprised.

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from alexmogil:

So if those are knots in the ply is there a potential for them to grow or shrink inconsistently with the surrounding wood?
    And it does look pretty sweet, like a pool cue.

It’s doubtful but in theory the knots are harder and denser than the other portions I would guess.

The main thing to know is when these companies get the wood unless there are large voids or obvious flaws then it’s just an unknown what the under layers will show once cut and routed.
    I seriously doubt they care about things like the cosmetics of a shooter lane unless it has a structural issue so it’s just the luck of the draw if you will get a game or playfield with a truly perfect looking shooter lane as far as the wood layers and graduations.
    I am not always crazy about the ones that I end up with either but understand the random nature of it.

#49 2 years ago

Pins seem to be a lot like dating, you either nit pick a pin for every little flaw or love it for what it is. I am learning to love people and pins for what and who they are…imperfections and all. I will try not to nit pick my first NIB stern when it comes in December, but no promises. In the end your shooter lane is not classically beautiful, but it does look really nice…And, yes I tell all the ladies that!

#50 2 years ago

I am not always crazy about the ones that I end up with either but understand the random nature of it.

Yes indeed. Sounds a lot like college.

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-shooter-lanes-now-look-wacky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.