Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by pipes
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

I just got a NIB ST:PRO and decided to buy the $175 REV B Shaker Motor kit for it.

Seems like a lot of $$$ for a little rumble..rumble..

Just curious what others think?

Pure Waste Of Money?
Wouldn't play the game without it?

Your thoughts?

#2 9 years ago

I think it adds a lot to the game. I just bought the new cointaker red tremor motor and it shakes the walls of my gameroom on AC/DC.

It's the only mod I do to a game.

#3 9 years ago

Really depends on the game. I have one in my Metallica Pro and love it. Star Trek works very well with the shaker. It gives you feedback which is nice. But it still personal preference.

We have them for $170
http://ns8313.hostgator.com/~gameshop/product/stern-shaker-motor-kit-rev-b/

#4 9 years ago

My shaker on Spiderman vibrates the whole machine/floor during the Sandman modes. It's awesome.

#5 9 years ago

If you don't have any, how are you supposed to answer when someone asks "what's shakin'?"

In the old days only a few machines came with a shaker motor, tied into specific modes (like when the dinosaurs were running). I have never owned any of those machines and thought of it as just a novelty when I did play them on location. I wouldn't add one to a game that never had one, but now that Stern puts them into some top end games I fully understand people adding them to the lower tier models of the same game. I'm thinking of adding one to my Mustang premium (only Mustang LE came with one) and maybe that will change my opinion of shaker motors being just a novelty.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

My shaker on Spiderman vibrates the whole machine/floor during the Sandman modes. It's awesome.

Crap! Looks like I need another one then

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

tied into specific modes (like when the dinosaurs were running)

Feed T-Rex is the best use of a shaker motor ever, in my opinion. It starts off very mild, like the Rex is in the distance, then as the clock runs down both the shaker and sounds get more intense and faster paced like there's a Rex right beside you. Having a glass of water in the drink holder is always a fun touch.

LAH's shaker during the crane moving is cool too. We've got shakers in those 3, so when new people come over and play all of them, they want to know why RFM, NGG, and Frankenstein don't shake too.

#8 9 years ago

Put one in my ST pro and you won't regret it. Remember you can adjust the frequency/duration of the shaking in the adjustments menu.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from smokey_789:

Put one in my ST pro and you won't regret it. Remember you can adjust the frequency/duration of the shaking in the adjustments menu.

Does the adjustment change the duration? I thought setting it to maximal would just shake it under more circumstances, not that it would change duration.

#10 9 years ago

Yeah, I thought about that after I replied. Shouldn't have said duration--only frequency. Good eye......

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from smokey_789:

Yeah, I thought about that after I replied. Shouldn't have said duration--only frequency. Good eye......

ahhhh. You got my hopes up. I just picked up an Ac/Dc premium and installed the cointaker red tremor in it. It is awesome except the war machine spinner makes me think the backglass is going to shatter. If I could tone just that spinner down it would be perfect. Figured a duration adjustment would handle that.

#12 9 years ago

You have to have the shakers IMO. Seems like once I installed one in Tron, I had to push the trough connectors back on more frequently.

#14 9 years ago

Got them in my ST pro and IMVE. I will never go back.

#15 9 years ago

Put one on my Mustang Pro.
Glad I did. Fits the engine rumble noise very well.
And I just like shakers.

#16 9 years ago

What about for Tron?

I am on the fence, it's great for IM but I didn't really like it in SM which seemed to be too much vibration to me. With IM, I feel it's only certain times and I especilly like the small vibration when you hit the lit Drone targets.

Sometimes if the whole machine is vibrating constantly like Sandman it's just annoying to me.

#17 9 years ago

5 Sterns, 5 shakers. 100% All the way. Buy it now!

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

What about for Tron?
I am on the fence, it's great for IM but I didn't really like it in SM which seemed to be too much vibration to me. With IM, I feel it's only certain times and I especilly like the small vibration when you hit the lit Drone targets.
Sometimes if the whole machine is vibrating constantly like Sandman it's just annoying to me.

*MUST* have for Tron.

#19 9 years ago

Yesssssssss. They are worth it.

#20 9 years ago

I put a shaker in any machine that will use it. Met and AC/DC are great with it. I really enjoy GnR with a shaker. I cant believe the code to run the shaker was already there!

#21 9 years ago

Every machine that has code for it. My TFLE might be the best us of it I have experienced.

#22 9 years ago

I add it to every game. Even adding one to LOTR with the extra Roms was worth it.

#23 9 years ago

I have a shaker in my Tron, and I recently dropped a Red Tremor in my Walking Dead. The Red Tremor packs more punch than the standard Rev B shaker, but you can't lose with either.

#24 9 years ago

Not sure how well it is integrated in ST but I put them on every game I can. Machines feel castrated without them.

Avalanche fight in XM is crazy. If I take too long my hands go numb, lol.

#25 9 years ago

to your question.....YES....it's that easy.

#26 9 years ago

I like shakers! I can remember playing earthshaker when I was a kid and I didnt even know it had a shaker until I finally got it to shake!!! I was hooked and that was the first game I purchased as an adult!

#27 9 years ago

Well gonna install my first shaker this weekend in ST:PRO!

#28 9 years ago

I would be interested to hear how you like the implementation, as I'm considering picking up a ST (and a shaker).

#29 9 years ago

Used to enjoy the shaker, but now starting to get kind of old. I think the biggest issue for me is trying to pin down the location of rattles caused by the shaker which can get frustrating.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I'm thinking of adding one to my Mustang premium (only Mustang LE came with one).

Okay, this thread convinced me. Shaker has been ordered (from Pinball Life) for my Mustang premium.

#31 9 years ago

Nothing like the rumble of a V-8

#32 9 years ago

Anyone bringing any for sale to the Ohio Pinball Show next weekend? My MET Pro needs one.

#34 9 years ago

(In my best Hetfield voice "Hell yeah!"

#35 9 years ago

Cujo, just put the damn shaker in it already!!

Or call me and I will. It's ok, I know him.

1 week later
#36 9 years ago

Shaker added to my Mustang premium. Installation was easy, since the mounting holes with T-nuts were already in place from the factory (I didn't even need the template that came with the kit). Seems nicely integrated into the game. Glad I added it.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

...they want to know why RFM, NGG, and Frankenstein don't shake too.

I would love my NGG to shake after a hole in one shot. It's perfect for it.

#38 9 years ago

Why not? It's already setup for it and does add to gameplay. You get kind of used to it but it's still a cool feature. Worth $175? You probably shouldn't ask such questions after dropping thousands on a pinball machine. Just get it.

#39 9 years ago

Hows the shaker in TWD?

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from huo:

Hows the shaker in TWD?

I love it! It's intergraded into the game nicely. It produces multiple levels of vibration much like T-Rex in Jurassic Park. Totally change my appreciation for what a game changer these are for almost any pinball. Just in case if you want to know which one I have, I bought it from CoinTaker.

#41 9 years ago

I love mine. I put it in LOTR. Well worth it.

#42 9 years ago

Ive got regular shakers in most my games. Buying one for TWD. Trying the cointaker version.

5 months later
#43 8 years ago

I'm in same boat as original poster. My question is - do I need to (should I) get a Stern rev B or the Red Tremor Cointaker model? Stern has a warning about using third party ones... Sounds like the Red Tremor is a lot stronger but do not want to damage my NIB METPRE I just set up... Thanks.

#44 8 years ago

I bought two of the CT Red Tremors and I didn't like them, so I sold them. They use a different motor that turns 1000 rpm faster than the Stern, it has smaller diameter motor shaft and the weights were lighter than the Stern. To me the Red Tremor was more of a fast vibration and the Stern is more of a low rumble. That's my opinion, others like the Red Tremor so its personal preference, I didn't like them. If I buy any more shakers they will be from Stern.

#45 8 years ago

Shakers are great if you like stuff falling off the underside of your playfield

#46 8 years ago

I RARELY have had this issue. And it probably was going to come undone anyway.

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

I've never had that happen. Ever. And I put shakers in any machine it makes sense to.

#48 8 years ago

Guess I must be the only guy that does not care for them. Had Road Show and Jurassic Park and turned them off, kind of a novelty to me like the phantom flip in Monster Bash that I turned off also. Different strokes for different folks.

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

I'll third that I put them on everything and have never had this happen.

#50 8 years ago

Are they worth it? Now that they're only $125 at Pinball Life, absolutely! Got them in all my Sterns.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-shaker-motors-are-they-worth-it/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.