Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by BC_Gambit
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Just playing a game and suddenly the shaker motor is engaged in a constant max rumble. Nothing will interrupt it short of the interface switch or powering the game off. But it is engaged as soon as you power it back on.

Motor is from Stern. Is this going to be a damned board issue where the motor is getting power?

#2 3 years ago

Resolved. I have the bad transistor on the shaker board. Patrick at Stern was quick with a response and is mailing me the new board.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Resolved. I have the bad transistor on the shaker board. Patrick at Stern was quick with a response and is mailing me the new board.

Nice; sounded like a stuck transistor. At least that is one item that is so obvious when locked on it probably won't burn out.

Imagine if that happened on a location game? I wonder if a fuse would blow before the motor shook the game apart or melted?

#4 3 years ago

After mine stayed on long enough for me to figure out what was happening, that transistor was so hot that the board smelled like it was on fire. It would melt thru that board pretty quick.

I like our All Gambit, All the Time thread we have ourselves here, too.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

After mine stayed on long enough for me to figure out what was happening, that transistor was so hot that the board smelled like it was on fire. It would melt thru that board pretty quick.
I like our All Gambit, All the Time thread we have ourselves here, too.

To keep this "gambit only" shaker story thread alive a while longer I will tell my shaker motor story. One of my first pin repairs on my first machine. I was super new to the hobby.

It was an Earthshaker, and the shaker motor stopped working. I did some research and people suggested the motor brushes, and that a certain car part number was a replacement. So I ordered that, and the parts were not identical after all.

So then I found some identical replacements online and the shaker motor worked! For 1/2 of a game.

I found this confusing; but decided to try and replace the transistor next. With the crappy tools I had on hand at the time (and my low level skills) just doing that simple thing was "hard". But I got it done! I plugged everything back in and the shaker motor worked.... for a game or so.

????

I then ordered a whole new shaker motor, installed it, and.... it worked for a game or two.

I finally went into the backbox, found the connector that runs to the shaker motor, and it was very obviously burned up. So I replaced that, and the header PINs. I don't think I had ever done that before either.

All told, this took the span of ~2 years. In between waiting for parts and giving up on before coming back to it.

And I learned an important lesson: It is always a connector issue, except in the rare times it isn't . Anyways I learned to start with the "mechanical" stuff even when it seems to be an electrical problem. Doh!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

7,760 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greensboro, NC
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 8.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Moravia, NY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-shaker-motor-stuck-on-twd-sam and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.