(Topic ID: 96454)

stern seawitch flipper coils what to use.

By patrickvc

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stern_parts_catalog_mop.jpg
#1 9 years ago

The manual shows the lowers stronger than the uppers. I was looking to purchase all from pinball life but they have the correct lowers but the uppers are stronger than the originals used but less than the lowers. Would that be a problem?

#2 9 years ago

I'm happy with the coil strengths on my Seawitch. The lower flipper coils are AQ-25-500/34-4500 and I obtained them from Pinball Resource. The uppers are J-25-600/34-4500; they are red Stern coils & may be the originals. If you go too strong on the top coils you may end up replacing broken drop targets on the center bank from shots off the upper left flipper. I've replaced one so far.

#3 9 years ago

The manual says j25 600 for the top and j25 450 for the bottom PL has j 25 500. Im afraid theyll be too strong. Mine also had aq 500 for the lower as well.

#4 9 years ago

And many of the games came with a 5W resistor attached to the upper coils to weaken them so the nearby DTs would not be destroyed. Don't go bigger. If you do, you could always increase the gap in the leaf switch contact points to reduce power.

#5 9 years ago

I believe that's a 1 ohm resistor, btw.

#6 9 years ago

I just played a couple dozen games of Seawitch & I don't think that I would want the upper flippers to be any stronger. BTW: there are resistors on my upper left flipper but not on the upper right.

#7 9 years ago

For the OP, are you sure you are looking at a Seawitch manual? I haven't seen 450 flipper coils specified in any classic Stern except for Galaxy. 475 coil should be your coil of choice on both the lower left and right flipper per the Seawitch manual and 1981 Stern parts catalog. You do NOT want to go any stronger than the 600 on those upper coils, really no need.

#8 9 years ago

First off, what triggers this question to begin with? Are yours sluggish? Have you rebuilt first? Have you compared rebuilt flippers to those in youtube vids of seawitch? Or do you just want to make them more powerful for some reason?

#9 9 years ago

You are right Brian it is 475 my mistake. Reason for my question us Pinball life doesnt show 600 coils in their inventory. I was just trying to purchase all from the same place. I will order the correct ones from Pb resource.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

1981 Stern parts catalog

best pinball catalog ever
stern_parts_catalog_mop.jpgstern_parts_catalog_mop.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 10.00
$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-seawitch-flipper-coils-what-to-use and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.