IMG_1068 (resized).JPG
IMG_0988 (resized).JPG
IMG_0984 (resized).JPG
IMG_0977 (resized).JPG
IMG_0978 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 10.46.58 AM (resized).png
IMG_0713 (resized).JPG
IMG_0206 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 7 years ago

ebay.com link: LM323K LM323 TO 3 Voltage Regulator 5V 3A

lol

same date code even.

yeah that is likely a china fake. The transistors, voltage regulators, etc have way many more fakes out there than chips it seems.

The only regulators i would use from China would be used pulls with obvious markings from lock stars biting into the case.

1 month later
#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Someone on the other thread said they also removed R49.
Should I leave R49, remove it, or remove and also replace wth a wire?

mimic the 5v regulator circuit on a wms sys 3-6 games. The two resistors Bally uses juices up the output voltage for a lm323k, often to a dangerous, MPU-U15 zapping voltage.

For the PSU5 switch mode regulator, it would be cut out r49 and change r50 to a jumper wire / 0 ohm resistor.

1 week later
#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Made some progress on the weekend.
Removed R49, replaced R50 with a jumper wire...

Success!!
I now have solid 5V everywhere it should be.
Unfortunately, running the board in the game shows a problem with the high voltage section, when running the display digits are fading in and out instead of being sharp and bright.

I adjusted the pot under the high voltage to max settings, didn't help, at least not much, and I'm seeing the following values on my MM:
TP4 177v
TP2 153v
I have already replaced the big caps on this board, so not sure what other components need replacing to resolve. Possibly another bad voltage converter on the high voltage section? *sigh*

Check the voltage at the rectifier board test point. If low there check the 1n4004 rectifier diodes on the power supply as maybe one is open circuit.

If looks good there, check the ground return and positive rail connector at driver board. They hv ground is isolated back to the transformer panel (unless you do the "ground mods").

#26 7 years ago

find the negative lead for the c26 230v filter cap. run a patch from the the negative lead to the nearby ground trace. Scratch off some solder mask on the ground trace so you can tack down your ground reinforcement.

Besides that.... I would suspect C26 being bad for low input voltage...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tempe, AZ
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-sdu-100-missing-5v?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.