7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I recently bought a classic Stern pin with the left flipper not working. The problem is with the SDU. Swapping the green and orange flipper wires at the SDU connector transferred the problem to the right flipper. Replacing the SDU with a spare unit made the problem disappear.

The question: Is this indicative of a bad flipper relay on the SDU board and all I need to do is replace the relay? Or is there some other possibility?

Thanks.

#2 7 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I recently bought a classic Stern pin with the left flipper not working. The problem is with the SDU. Swapping the green and orange flipper wires at the SDU connector transferred the problem to the right flipper. Replacing the SDU with a spare unit made the problem disappear.
    The question: Is this indicative of a bad flipper relay on the SDU board and all I need to do is replace the relay? Or is there some other possibility?
    Thanks.

stern f'd up their early driver boards. the traces are WAY to thin around the relay. When the flipper EOS gets mis adjusted you can vaporize the traces. Its either that or connector problems (two connectors blocks on the left side of the driver board).

#3 7 years ago

Thank you very much. I see my problem now. Where the traces lead to below the relay and attach at connector J3 needs new solder. For both flipper pins it looks like the solder has broken away and disappeared.

I'll fix that this afternoon.

#4 7 years ago

On some of their boards Stern just runs wires directly from the headers to the relays

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

On some of their boards Stern just runs wires directly from the headers to the relays

I have seen that as a service bulletin for games with multiple flippers. I think i find it in the cabinet of a big game. Basically said games with more than two flippers and you have solenoid driver version x to y, add the jumpers because the traces are too small.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-sdu-100-left-flipper-failure and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.