Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by pinkid
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

After replacing all sockets (except for U9, U11,U10) and ALL connector pins on this MPU board, noticed I had no 1000's digit and no 10's in all displays. Found the issue to be I left 2 pins unsoldered at J1 on MPU board. Lightly soldered those in properly and now displays all work well but now erratic CPU noise upon bootup and during game. Replaced all 40 pin sockets as thought perhaps U11 or U9 bad sockets to blame for it co-incedently. No change after socket replacement (U9,U10,U11) and even swapped in new U11, U10 and U9 ICs.
Lastly unsoldered J1 pin strip as this is the last thing I did before encountering this sound issue, inspected for bridging etc (no issues found) soldered new J1 pin strip in again. Same issue.

Checked game with an Alltek installed and no sound issue. Proving problem resides on the -17 MPU.

Video showing problem here:

Problem now fixed. MPU J5 pin 14 and 15 were not connected to U9 pin 17 and 16 respectively. Repaired those breaks and viola! Success!

#2 6 years ago

Sound like ET trying to phone home....

#3 6 years ago

Can you provide a very clear picture of the J5 connector (front and especially the back where it's soldered) on the MPU board. I suspect you've got a bad connection on one of the address lines going to the sound board causing it to react to events it shouldn't be.

Do you have a logic probe?

#4 6 years ago

Thanks to you and my local buddy John who both said check your J5 pins and continuity again. Did that and found the issues! Thanks guys!!!

J5 is critical to be 100% continuity on each pin going to it's path on the MPU board for sound to be 100% in Stern SS games.

Problem now fixed. MPU J5 pin 14 and 15 were not connected to U9 pin 17 and 16 respectively. Repaired those breaks and viola! Success!

Quoted from Quench:

Can you provide a very clear picture of the J5 connector (front and especially the back where it's soldered) on the MPU board. I suspect you've got a bad connection on one of the address lines going to the sound board causing it to react to events it shouldn't be.
Do you have a logic probe?

#5 6 years ago

Very nice. I know you are happy. I'll check on my problem soon. Thanks for all the info.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 10.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-sb100-strange-warbleerratic-sounds-lectronamo-mpu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.