Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by onetaste
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Trying to fix the sound board in my Cosmic Princess. Only getting one sound effect, and it is a very simple spund wave. Had a look at the Techdose.com article, but I'm no engineer. I've repinned the 5V connector from the MPU, replaced chips U1-4 and U17&18. Getting the following readings

CP SB100-C1
Tp1 4.86 (4.86 on mpu & 4.93 sdb)
Tp2 0.19 (shld be 2.6)
Tp3 2.54
Tp5 0.21 (shld be 2.6)
Tp6 4.94
Tp7 14.5 ( same on sdb)

I'm thinking the 5V might be too low, or the 4013 U8&9 need replacing. I'm really just guessing, never tried this kind of work before. Any suggestions?

#2 9 years ago

You have two out of three multivibrators not working. Make sure both pots are good, if so. Either U17 (lm324) or U9 (4013) is likely bad. Those ICs are in common to both of your circuits not working.

Might be able to determine the 4013 being bad with diode test on your DMM. Compare it against the other 4013 (u8) in the working multivibrator circuit. Sometimes they fail short or open on a single leg you can find.

Your 5v is good enough, this board also regulates its own 5v for part of the board.

#3 9 years ago

BarakanI you helped me with meteor and the mismatched 5101 chips on the cpu board. i had very similar issues but not sure it's the same setup

#4 9 years ago

Awesome, thanks for the help, barakandl!

1 week later
#5 9 years ago

I replaced the chips Barakandl recommended (U9 & U17) and now the sound board is working beautifully.

There is one exception, every 2-5 minutes when a sound is triggered it will put out garbage sounds. It continues making this noise until the next sound is triggered and then it goes back to normal function.

#6 9 years ago

Nice job.

Is it a specific sound? Is it the sweeping sound? Intermittent issues can be tough. I would double check the 32pin plug, male and female side. The ribbon cable gets damaged pretty easily.

#7 9 years ago

It's a really nasty, loud, deep sound, almost like noise but there's just a hint of structure to it. I would be surprised if it's a cable, given that the problem goes away the next time that a sound is triggered. I did try fiddling with the plugs and this did nothing to alleviate the problem, but hitting a rollover or target would fix it. This makes me think it's a logic problem.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 45.00
Boards
Troxel Repair
Boards
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 199.95
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Corona, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-sb100-c1-sound-board-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.