New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 273249)

Stern SB-300 Sound board oddities..

By Coyote

3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by barakandl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 months ago

Hey guys -
    So I have a Meteor in my lineup, and recently due to issues, I re-capped my SB300 audio board. This included replacing the amp.

For the last year, I've had a feeling that I was missing a 'voice', but I never really looked into it until now.

A local pinsider (completist ) happened to have a couple spares, and I decided to try them out.

One was missing a voice as well - but in Meteor, apparently it's the 'primary' voice, as it sounded horrid. The other seemed to have everything.

But both of them seemed to have a low-pass filter on them. That's the best way I can explain it. Compared to my board, they were very tinny and missing bass.

Since I don't have any other boards to test, I was wondering what part of the circuit would have the effect of a high-pass or low-pass filter, so I can at least look at my board - perhaps I missed a cap.

Also wondering where the softer, under-voice would be generated, so I can look at why mine's failing. Is this one of the signals coming from the timer?

#2 3 months ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Hey guys -
    So I have a Meteor in my lineup, and recently due to issues, I re-capped my SB300 audio board. This included replacing the amp.
    For the last year, I've had a feeling that I was missing a 'voice', but I never really looked into it until now.
    A local pinsider (completist ) happened to have a couple spares, and I decided to try them out.
    One was missing a voice as well - but in Meteor, apparently it's the 'primary' voice, as it sounded horrid. The other seemed to have everything.
    But both of them seemed to have a low-pass filter on them. That's the best way I can explain it. Compared to my board, they were very tinny and missing bass.
    Since I don't have any other boards to test, I was wondering what part of the circuit would have the effect of a high-pass or low-pass filter, so I can at least look at my board - perhaps I missed a cap.
    Also wondering where the softer, under-voice would be generated, so I can look at why mine's failing. Is this one of the signals coming from the timer?

When the zener diode in the 10v circuit drifts sound quality gets pretty bad. I forget if it is over or under 10v, but not much variation and it gets a really "tinny".

#3 3 months ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

When the zener diode in the 10v circuit drifts sound quality gets pretty bad. I forget if it is over or under 10v, but not much variation and it gets a really "tinny".

Okay - it's possible both of these test boards had bad diodes. I am 99% sure I replaced mine. Thanks.

#4 3 months ago

Interesting. I have one which sounds like an old AM/MW radiostation. It is missing everything above appr 2kHz and sounds very dull. Replaced the caps, tried another amplifier, replaced the 6840 timer, and tried another MC3340 but that didn't change anything. The voltage over the zenerdiode seems okay, I never replaced that one but I will do that on my next attempt; didn't know that one is critical. This board has a sticker marked "B" and seems to be a bit older as other boards with a "C" marked sticker. Are there different revisions with changes?

#5 3 months ago
    Quoted from MarAlb:

Interesting. I have one which sounds like an old AM/MW radiostation. It is missing everything above appr 2kHz and sounds very dull. Replaced the caps, tried another amplifier, replaced the 6840 timer, and tried another MC3340 but that didn't change anything. The voltage over the zenerdiode seems okay, I never replaced that one but I will do that on my next attempt; didn't know that one is critical. This board has a sticker marked "B" and seems to be a bit older as other boards with a "C" marked sticker. Are there different revisions with changes?

I believe the only major change was the on-board connection for the Voice board, so the voice (speech?) board could send audio. I think the earlier revisions had a factory-soldered wire, whereas laster revisions had a trace in the PCB.

I could be wrong, though. I'm NOT an expert at this board.

#6 3 months ago

Measure the +10vdc. I have seriously improved a bunch of boards sound quality by replacing the diode. More than a quarter volt drift and sound quality tanks where it sounds like some frequency is filtered out or muddled. Hard to describe but tin can speaker sound is good description.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 30.00
    Apparel - Men
    Pinball Haus
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 259.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 27.95
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 115.00
    Playfield - Other
    Great American Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 5,899.99
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 144.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    $ 29.95
    $ 125.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside