(Topic ID: 258210)

Stern SB-300 dull sounds/no treble

By semicolin

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider semicolin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I have a Stern Meteor that sounds like it's got a rolled up sock in front of the speaker. Sounds are dull and muted. Very little treble/high end, as if there was a low pass filter on it. It gets loud- overall amplitude isn't the problem. It just sounds really dull and muddy, without brightness.

Sounds themselves are fine. Everything plays when and how it is supposed to, but the quality is very poor.

Has been re-capped and the problem isn't the speaker itself. I could start tearing apart the audio amplifier circuit soon but I figured I would ping the crowd here first. Hell, maybe its supposed to sound like that.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

i have found ceramic capacitors drifting in value can cause the "tin can sound" is the best way I can describe it. The last board I remember doing it on was a capacitor stradling p3 and p4 of an lm3900 that was supposed to be 68pF was testing more like 500pF when i lifted one leg. Replacing it fixed it. I don't see the same type of circuit in SB300 board but if every single sound sounds wrong then I wold be looking at stuff at and past the 3340 chip where all the sounds come together which isnt too much stuff.
Like C14, C12, C4, C2. Assume the problem did not change when you replaced C5 and C9 electrolytic caps?
Make sure the 10vdc (tp3)supply voltage is good too.... ie .R5 or zener is not open circuit or anything like that.

That's a good assumption- the electrolytic swap had no effect other than perhaps a bit of futureproofing and cosmetic improvement.

TP3 is steady at 9.75VDC. I'm not unhappy with that.

I didn't even recognize these glass-packaged capacitors as capacitors until really squinting down at the schematics. I'll focus on them next.

#4 4 years ago

Looks like you may have been on to something.

Looking through the glass of C12, it's dark and toasty compared to C3. If they were both installed at the same time, something went wrong along the way. Unfortunately, the capacitance meter is in my workshop on the other end of town, but I'll order the parts anyway. I go through a lot of these caps anyway.

Popped in an order at digikey for all of those axial ceramics. Can never have enough 0.1uF. Waiting on an order of radial ones from overseas, but why bend leads when I can make it look nice? Added a few resistors too... R3(3K9) and R4(10K) are way off label at 3K and 5K respectively.

And for the real hell of it I ordered a few MC3340P and TDA2003A chips from AliExpress. Possibly counterfeit, hopefully just old stock, but they're so cheap that I feel like I'll roll the dice.

#6 4 years ago

Well, I pulled all of the passive components from R23 onwards, and it's still muddy as all hell. Perhaps my old ears deceive me.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Maybe try a zener with a breakdown closer to or slightly above 10v. I know small differences in voltage of the 10v supply effects volume control circuit

Good timing. I was just putting in a digikey order for some electrolytics. I'll put in a BZX85B10 as it has a much tighter tolerance than the original 1N758. We'll see how it goes!

A_Bord: when I get this licked, you can be sure I'll post the solution here.

#10 4 years ago

Replacing the Zener diode VR1 made a huge difference. Solid on 10.01V instead of a shaky 9.6-9.75V. Made a big difference in sound levels.

I still don't feel like I'm getting the highest highs out of it, but then again, it's an SB-300. Not exactly high fidelity. Still, a major improvement.

In any case, massive help. Thank you.

While I was under the hood I took out the scratchy 25K pot that was always cranked to the max with the 20K ballast resistor and replaced them both with a 50K pot. Solved any possible concerns I could ever have about volume. I get the full range now from nearly silent to unusably loud.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,199.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
$ 169.00
$ 959.00
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Boards
Troxel Repair

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider semicolin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-sb-300-dull-sounds-no-treble?tu=semicolin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.