• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

• Nugent Stern Electronics, 1978

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20171228_171851211 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I am working on a Stern SB100 Rev B out of a Nugent. I am only getting 2 of the 3 tones. I have been working through the techdose article and I'm pretty sure I can get it fixed from this. I am fortunate the sound generation (most of it) and the amp are verified working.

The issue I have is some extra components. It appears a jumper was replaced with a resistor with a couple of capacitors tied to it. These are at C50 and C52 and connect to U6 pin 10 which is the reset line. C50 is jumpered to the resistor on the back side of the board.

IMG_20171228_171851211 (resized).jpgIMG_20171228_171851211 (resized).jpg

Clearly the board is resetting but I was having power issues on this machine that led to inconsistent booting. It's possible that someone put in these components to stabilize the line and get the board to reset.

I swapped in a different sdb and recrimped the power connectors on the rectifier board and the sdb and everything works great in that regard.

Should I remove this hack or leave it in? Maybe this relates to a service bulletin somewhere?

Thanks

#2 6 years ago

Finally found a pic of a Rev b and this looks normal. Marking as resolved.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Finally found a pic of a Rev b and this looks normal. Marking as resolved.

Cheddar - Slightly off topic but it was my sound board (SB-100 in my Trident) that was locking up my MPU, if you run into this I would suggest sending it to http://webpages.charter.net/coinopcauldron/Index.html - The guy who runs it Clive does awesome work. He socketed almost everything on that board and replaced all the caps for like $70 and then put it in a two stage bench testing device. I don't work with him/for him or anything I just had a really good experience and after sending to him I've never had a problem again. Best of Luck!

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from darcangeloel:

cheddar - Slightly off topic but it was my sound board (SB-100 in my Trident) that was locking up my MPU, if you run into this I would suggest sending it to http://webpages.charter.net/coinopcauldron/Index.html - The guy who runs it Clive does awesome work. He socketed almost everything on that board and replaced all the caps for like $70 and then put it in a two stage bench testing device. I don't work with him/for him or anything I just had a really good experience and after sending to him I've never had a problem again. Best of Luck!

Thanks for the tip

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-sb-100-sound-card-help?hl=darcangeloel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.