(Topic ID: 217713)

Stern SAM - Whole switch Column went out.

By 85vett

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

met2 (resized).jpg
met d (resized).jpg
met (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

This is on my Metallica but I left it general as I'm assuming these boards go across multiple games. Last night my Snake eject stopped working. I tested the switch and it wasn't registering in switch test. After further investigation I also found that the left spinner and the trough Jam switches weren't working. This equates to the whole row (shown below).

Any ideas on how to fix this or do I need to buy a new board? Really hopping to it's fixable without a new board as those look to be stupid expensive...

met (resized).jpgmet (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

Did some more testing and I think the part below is the problem (diode?).

I tested all of the ones in this picture and only D3 didn't show a reading with positive on the left and neg on the right. Reversed it had the same reading as the rest of them.

Do you agree this is the problem part? Anyone know the part number for these? Looks like it is replaceable with a steady hand. I have a soldier sucker and a good iron. I've replaced several battery holders on Williams boards so hopefully I can do this.

***edit*** forgot to add the picture.

met d (resized).jpgmet d (resized).jpg

#3 5 years ago

Check all the switches on that column to make sure that the white wire with blue stripe didn't break off a switch lug somewhere rendering all downstream switches inactive. If everything checks out, it could be the IC at U15.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Check all the switches on that column to make sure that the white wire with blue stripe didn't break off a switch lug somewhere rendering all downstream switches inactive. If everything checks out, it could be the IC at U15.

Thanks. That helps. I tied my volt meter into the connector at the board and started testing the 3 switches. None of them showed a closed loop. I found this junction under the PF and if I tied the top lug to the Jam and spinner switches they showed to complete a circuit and the bottom lug completed to the snake switch. I then touched both ends of this to the connector in the backbox and neither completed a circuit. So it sounds like I have a broken wire somewhere between this junction and the back box, right?

I did the same test with the junction below it and it's corresponding switches and it completed a circuit at the back box.

Not sure how I'm going to find this wire without taking the whole loom apart but going to attempt that. hopefully this means the board is OK.

met2 (resized).jpgmet2 (resized).jpg

#5 5 years ago

If you have no continuity from the board to the first switch with that color just run a jumper and see if it solves your issue

#6 5 years ago

Found a frayed wire and repaired it. Now get continuity at the terminals but all 3 switches are still dead.

#7 5 years ago

If you can not "buzz" from the female connector wire to all solder lugs where that same wire goes, the quite clearly there is a continuity issue with the wire. The diode you pointed out might still be the issue, but I wouldn't heat up the iron until I've made sure game wiring was correct.

You can remove the switch row and column headers, and jumper from the suspect J6/3 to J1/5 with a simple jumper wire. No diode required. If the switch registers, then you do NOT have a board issue.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#8 5 years ago

if a wire came loose off one of those switches and they are in the same row then the other switches going up stream will not work.work your way up the daiseychain and inspect each one of those switches

#9 5 years ago

Got it working yesterday

Re-seated the opto switch and hit the other switches with my soldier iron. Guess when I put one of them back on after testing them I didn't create a good joint as after doing this all the switches started working again.

Thanks everyone for your help. Super relieved it wasn't board after all.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Got it working yesterday
Re-seated the opto switch and hit the other switches with my soldier iron. Guess when I put one of them back on after testing them I didn't create a good joint as after doing this all the switches started working again.
Thanks everyone for your help. Super relieved it wasn't board after all.

Thats good..enjoy your game

#11 5 years ago

Bummer, the whole column of switches went out again last night Back to the drawing board. I tested continuity to each wire so no new "frays" are present and they all transfer back to the board. Board is still working (jumped it by one column). Took the spinner off and it wont show continuity when depressed now. Jumped the diode and it did so it seems the switch is good and maybe the diode is bad. Going to replace both diodes under the PF when they come in tomm. Fingers crossed it's just a flaky diode now.

#12 5 years ago

Good luck! Looking forward to you getting this fixed, and posting what it was...

#13 5 years ago

So gmkalos what is it that I'm wrong about here? Since you decided to go through all my recent post and down vote them all because I called you out for being an ass in another thread. Let's hear what is not factual about the above.

#14 5 years ago

Pay no attention to her/him. Based on our interactions s/he's a bit sensitive.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Fingers crossed it's just a flaky diode now

test that diode with a meter,just remember to remove the green wire in the middle of switch,it slides right off

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

(jumped it by one column)

did you test those switches in the "Row" going across the switch matrix chart?

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Cycloneman:

did you test those switches in the "Row" going across the switch matrix chart?

Yes, all other switches work correctly.

Quoted from Cycloneman:

test that diode with a meter,just remember to remove the green wire in the middle of switch,it slides right off

I'll give that a try as well. At this point I'm just shotgunning parts so started with the cheapest ones.

#18 5 years ago

Not so sure it's the diode on the spinner anymore. While shopping out my new Tron I noticed the quorra spinner was identical to MET so I swapped them over to test. Still nothing

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Not so sure it's the diode on the spinner anymore. While shopping out my new Tron I noticed the quorra spinner was identical to MET so I swapped them over to test. Still nothing

it could be the connector on the board or the male header pins that connect to that connector,any signs of cold solder/cracks on those header pins?Or wires in connector not making proper continuty contact due to vibration,shaking?

#20 5 years ago

Good thought. I'll rein it tonight and give it a try. All the soldier joints look solid.

Dumb question. The through jam is the first switch which is on an opto board. Light is on but could that board be the problem? The other opto on that same board works fine.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Good thought. I'll rein it tonight and give it a try. All the soldier joints look solid.
Dumb question. The through jam is the first switch which is on an opto board. Light is on but could that board be the problem? The other opto on that same board works fine.

if light is on it means its work but since it is the first switch check that board loose wires,reseat connector,make sure that board is screw in tightly and not shaking during gameplay or could use a bit of reflow of solder on one of the pins

#22 5 years ago

Repinned the header pin on the board and it's working now, at least for 10 games or so. Fingers crossed that resolves the problem. Thanks for your help!

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Repinned the header pin on the board and it's working now, at least for 10 games or so. Fingers crossed that resolves the problem. Thanks for your help!

sounds good,fingers crossed too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 12.95
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 25.50
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 29.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-sam-whole-switch-column-went-out?hl=cycloneman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.