• Latest reply 25 days ago by ElCid95
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2022-03-16 093440 (resized).jpg

#1 5 months ago

I purchased a number of Data East knocker assemblies, the stern step up driver boards, and wired them in according to the attached diagram. Just wondering if anyone else has done this to newer Sam games? I installed this on both AC/DC vault and Iron Man vault. Turned off the volume on the original knocker, and changed Q24 to knocker. Neither game will drive the knocker assembly. Coil works fine when I ground it out, just not getting any action from the game.

Any help would be appreciated.

Screenshot 2022-03-16 093440 (resized).jpg
#2 4 months ago

Any thoughts?

#3 4 months ago

Perhaps there is a dedicated setting that needs to be changed in the adjustments?

#4 4 months ago

There are two settings that are shown to be needed, Q24 is set to knocker, and you turn the volume off for the fake knocker sound. Just not sure if there is something else needed for newer Sam games. I talked to Terry @ PBL and they are having someone working on a knocker for Sam. He just didn't know what might be wrong with the setup I have. There are videos with people installing it on original Spider Man games and it worked fine.

1 month later
#5 84 days ago

I know this is an old thread but I figured I'd reply in case you didn't figure it out. In the newer versions of that board 520-5254-00 Pin 2 is 20v, you must connect that pin to a 20v power source in your game in order for the board to work. The later revisions of the board included this because some games would have the knocker go off on initial power up because the 50v power supply comes on immediately and any errant signal from the boards during boot up would cause a "knock". The 20v side of the power supply isn't brought online until the game boots so this was a simple solution to the problem.

Long story made short, connect pin 2 to 20v and it'll work.

#6 84 days ago

Thank you for the reply, I have connected pin 2 to 20 volt and was still having no luck.

#7 84 days ago

That doesn't make sense. Are you sure the 50v and the 20v are using the same ground you are using for the boards pin 3?

I usually tap the 50v, 20v, and ground from the playfield harness and the Q24 output from where ever it is output (depending on whether it's SAM or Whitestar).

Also, your knocker must have the diode removed.

#8 83 days ago

Was hoping someone could just make a wiring harness to connect the knocker coil to the step up board and wherever in the back box please.

#9 83 days ago
Quoted from BustedPin:

That doesn't make sense. Are you sure the 50v and the 20v are using the same ground you are using for the boards pin 3?
I usually tap the 50v, 20v, and ground from the playfield harness and the Q24 output from where ever it is output (depending on whether it's SAM or Whitestar).
Also, your knocker must have the diode removed.

I will verify my wiring again, I did remove the diode from the coils. Bought a number of these assemblies hoping to sort of make a kit.

#10 83 days ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Was hoping someone could just make a wiring harness to connect the knocker coil to the step up board and wherever in the back box please.

There was a guy making these a while back, but he has stopped, along with his other pin related business.
Hopefully someone else will make them.
I bought a couple and would pick up several more.

#11 83 days ago

Check the voltages at the step-up connector with your multimeter: verify that your power taps are good.

Where are you getting ground? Check your ground continuity to the ground braid to make sure it's good. I just tap the ground braid directly.

You can then verify the circuit is working by unplugging from the Q24 harness connector and briefly touch that P1 signal wire to ground braid. Knocker should go off.

#12 83 days ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Check the voltages at the step-up connector with your multimeter: verify that your power taps are good.
Where are you getting ground? Check your ground continuity to the ground braid to make sure it's good. I just tap the ground braid directly.
You can then verify the circuit is working by unplugging from the Q24 harness connector and briefly touch that P1 signal wire to ground braid. Knocker should go off.

The assembly works perfect when I jump the ground to the mechanism, just was having no luck getting the machine to fire it off. I will take another stab at the wiring and make sure I am using the power from the same two points. Thank you for replying.

#13 83 days ago

It does sound more "setting" related than anything else. It sounds like Kawydud that you have all of your connections/wiring correct. I have several of these to install myself and am following this with interest.

#14 83 days ago

Has to be something with my 50 volt and 20 volt wiring, the setup in the system is very straight forward. Hopefully I get it figured out and can start offering these. Bought a bunch of connectors so that it plugs into the existing connector.

#15 82 days ago

How are you testing that it's not working in the game? Have you played to a point when it should knock? Have you run the knocker test instead of just the coil diagnostic test?

I just noticed on my ST Premium that my knocker also won't activate in the coil test, but I know it works. There's a separate knocker test in its own menu option, that one works for me.

#16 82 days ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

How are you testing that it's not working in the game? Have you played to a point when it should knock? Have you run the knocker test instead of just the coil diagnostic test?
I just noticed on my ST Premium that my knocker also won't activate in the coil test, but I know it works. There's a separate knocker test in its own menu option, that one works for me.

Maybe that is my issue, I was trying to test it in the coil test. I will dig into the menu when I get a minute to see if there is a different spot for the knocker test.

#17 82 days ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Maybe that is my issue, I was trying to test it in the coil test. I will dig into the menu when I get a minute to see if there is a different spot for the knocker test.

I'm not sure that I ever found the knocker test in the diagnostics menu. I just tested all my inputs before wiring it up and then playing through the game until the knocker was supposed to sound or getting a match. That's how I tested it and it worked.

If you do find the test make sure you pull the interlock on the coin door so that the high voltage isn't disabled for your test and of course be careful under the playfield with the high voltage on.

The key I found was to make sure you have 20v and 50v, and that the ground reference is the same the power supply references for the 20/50v. Someone above mentioned the ground braid which should also be find since the PS is grounded to it. Just make it all nice and tidy.

I'm sure you'll get this figured out.

#18 82 days ago
Quoted from BustedPin:

I'm not sure that I ever found the knocker test in the diagnostics menu.

Knocker test isn't hard to find: just scroll to the right of sw, coil, flash, lamp options: right before and next to the speaker test.

1 month later
#19 36 days ago

Knocker kits now available here -https://www.pinballlife.com/real-knocker-kit-for-stern-sam-machines.html

1 week later
#20 25 days ago

Got mine ordered for my Tron Legacy Pro!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
5,800 (OBO)
Sale Pending! Machine - For Sale
St Ignace, MI
$ 199.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!