• 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by FiatsRUs
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Family Guy battery issue (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stangbat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from FiatsRUs:

I am working on the premise that my battery draining issue is resolved (I will continue to monitor this). My goal is to get rid of batteries that require replacement on all of my pins
That being the goal, is there a rechargeable option for the SAM system? It seems that installing a rechargeable battery with 3.5 vdc and putting a jumper on the blocking diode would do the trick. Not true? Bad idea? Has anyone tried this?

The SAM system debuted in 2006 with WPT, POTC was next. I've owned two POTC and worked on several. 14 years later and I've never had to replace a battery on any SAM game. Respectfully, I'm suggesting that you are trying to come up with a complicated solution for a problem that really doesn't exist. The CR2430 cells on the SAM MPU last a crazy long time, and when they do die they won't damage the board or cause any harm. I'd concentrate on games that have alkaline cells and not worry about SAM or any other games that use lithium coin cells for memory back up.

Edit to add, I guess I have replaced one battery on a Stern SAM MPU. I'm the guy that wrote the content on Pinwiki about the DS1302 being bad. So I replaced that battery that was on a Spiderman.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walton, KY
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saugerties, NY
Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stangbat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-sam-battery-goes-dead?tu=stangbat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.