Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 399 posts
  • 192 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by horseflesh
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

243158951_836639187055880_1111407005989233472_n (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210827_183312406 (resized).jpg
    a7a07a5879a72dc8749ba777f7db4e9eecf5832c (resized).jpg
    6926E45F-8E59-4554-B39E-55EA9EBFF5CA (resized).jpeg
    FB55DE01-DBD2-475D-91C4-F015F7B814FA (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yelobird.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 2 years ago

These buying fears always puzzle me. It’s not like you buy a game for whatever and Lose that money forever? Based on the estimate market value average you own a game NIB and whatever the cost and what you Maybe lose 3-500$ Over a few years of use and enjoyment? Most times you Make money on resale. If you can’t worst case afford to lose $300 over a few years this likely Isn’t the right hobby for you.

#51 2 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Says the guy that bought two RAZAs. You're not grounded in reality.
    Listen, you salty cunts, I didnt make this post to get you guys upset.

Yet going in I knew I would not Lose any money either way which Surprise, I didn’t. Not sure why my buying decisions matter to the topic. Did I ask you for a loan? Lol. Enjoy pinball it shouldn’t be so complicated.

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Most times? Crappola
    So because u can recoup most of ur money its fine to spend more than u really want to? The OG post never even mentioned resale so not sure what the point of that was, theres a cap some people have with certain items and eventually it becomes unworthy of the investment. I like pinball but 9K for a Stern Pro regardless of resale has me out of the game.

Yeah most people just throw a pinball machine away when they are done with it. Makes total sense resale of ownership has no value. Umph

3 weeks later
    #346 2 years ago
    Quoted from KingVidiot:

When I was 26, a $60 game was a huge investment for me...
    Didn’t buy my first machine till this year, but then I bought 3 more immediately lol. I’m 41.
    About 10 years ago, I started my own business. I made a promise to myself that one day, I’d buy a Star Trek tng pinball machine as a reward for busting my ass and a symbol that my business had made it. Back then they were like 3k, and every year, they went up in price, just out of reach.
    A decade later, and while I still love that Star Trek table, time and tastes changed the landscape of pinball, and I decided I wanted a Jurassic Park premium instead as my first pin. But I’m married to a fellow pin head, so one just wouldn’t do, haha.
    Got a Godzilla premium on order, and might preorder an Elvira for next year too.

That’s awesome! Sit around and complain about what’s unfair or work hard and get what you earned. Great story and congrats on your success. Want more, do more.

3 weeks later
    #385 2 years ago
    Quoted from rx3:

From what I've seen, most electronics and computer technology have gone down in price. Flat screens, computers, gps, mixers, dvd payers, cell phones, etc...
    This is most likely the result of newer technology allowing devices (like pinball machines) to be made cheaper. Seems like pinball manufacturers are taking advantage of peoples' addictions? Or is a pinball machine an exception?

Could be they sell Millions of phones, tvs, computers, and well DVD that died long ago compared to several thousand nitch pinball machines world wide. Maybe.

1 week later
    #397 2 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

So agree with you on this point. Most people don’t realize your cost is driven primarily by a) volume and b) labor. The actual parts not so much (well except that volume thing)
    That said this recent price jump is (single data point as it may be) an aberration from their previous delta. Yeah yeah I know COVID this, part shortages that, dash of inflation there, etc. But really it seems more testing the waters of “How much will people pay before my total quarterly earnings levels off (or worse … declines)”.
    I will say it is pushing operators immensely, as the economics of all this have never been particularly favorable to us. If I can put out a $400 Ms Pac-Man versus a $7K Godzilla, other than personal interest the Ms Pac wins every time.
    I am BTW getting the Godzilla to go in my arcade so they haven’t lost me yet. But I’ll be honest the mental pause I have each time I do this is becoming longer and longer.
    It would be interesting to see what the customer demography. breakdown really looks like and how much it has and continues to shift from operators to collectors (men with money). I suspect operators are diminishing. And then it really becomes a question of how much revenue is driven to stern by people playing games on location.
    If the Stern Connect is to be believed they are sort of shooting themselves in the foot here. Less games on location, less stern connect subscription fees, more flogging of their new business model.

Yeah always wondered how the route owners still justify this bumps. 7-9k for a game, liability, insurance, rent, damage, etc, etc just seems like a tough labor of love. How far beyond dollar per game will consumers go? Likely not far. Owning a route or gaming establishment has to be a tough pull these days.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yelobird.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-s-price-increases-may-be-pushing-me-out-of-this-hobby?tu=yelobird and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.