Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 399 posts
  • 192 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by horseflesh
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

243158951_836639187055880_1111407005989233472_n (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210827_183312406 (resized).jpg
    a7a07a5879a72dc8749ba777f7db4e9eecf5832c (resized).jpg
    6926E45F-8E59-4554-B39E-55EA9EBFF5CA (resized).jpeg
    FB55DE01-DBD2-475D-91C4-F015F7B814FA (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

So it seems the Stern price increases are official. And it just might be the last straw for my wallet and my love for the hobby. When these prices go up, used ones will go up even more. I really do feel that maybe this hobby is financially passing me by.

People have been saying this since Stern’s went from $3700 to $4000. Seems like for every person who drops out, 100 more enter.

You have 8 games. You could never buy another game and still be “in the hobby”. I’m sure all your games have risen in value. Sell 1 if you want a new one...I did that recently and ended up with a new game to play & a few extra bucks in my pocket as well.

#65 2 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

Take a chill pill.
    The guys over on Jetside are complaining that jets are getting too expensive as well.

What a shame if they’re pushed out of the jet hobby!

#86 2 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

What is wrong with someone complaining about the price increase? How many people here can afford going out to dinner with a family member (wife, date, best friend, etc). Even at a small mom and pop place maybe $60 + tip for the two of you with a drink for a standard place, maybe $100 + tip for something a little nicer. Now most on here don't see that as breaking the bank, we can afford it. So now the restaurant charges you $200 and $300 for the same meal at each of those two places. I am guessing all of us can afford that as well. Would you complain, or be like "I have the cash, who cares"? Sure we can afford it, sure we don't need to go out to eat, but that doesn't mean that just because we have the money for a luxury item that we shouldn't care.

Foodgument!!!

Restaurants have endless options & competition. Don’t like the prices somewhere, you can easily eat somewhere/something else.

Pinball is niche and unnecessary…ya want it, pay the going rate.

#126 2 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

Stern BTTF FOMO will be like you've never seen it before. Everyone (including myself) and their grandmother will want it. I've been in the hobby 12 years, and it will most likely be my first NIB (if I can get one).

I’m not convinced they’re doing BTTF. Rumors aren’t always right.

#178 2 years ago

Tim & Eric need to get into the pinball biz…they’re very competitive about prices!

#204 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So higher than Stern, like every other company, correct?
    My exact figures are for entertainment purposes only.
    The question remains: why does Stern elicit and absorb the wrath of the spurned budget conscious collector while the other companies seem to escape such attention while being priced higher?
    Anybody interested in taking a swing at this one?
    Anyone?
    It’s not a gotcha question or a trap; I wanna know!

I’ll take a swing at that! It’s because of the perceived notion that Sterns are crafted from lower quality materials & in high volume, so they should be cheaper….like the fast food of pinball. Collectors who were always used to Sterns being cheaper than A tier B/W games or high end restorations can’t comprehend how cheapie dinky Stern McPins can be priced so high now.

#209 2 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Stern is fast food?

I’m not saying that’s my opinion. I’m explaining the psychology of people who get more upset about Stern prices than other company’s prices.

#232 2 years ago
    Quoted from mamawaldee:

I have a pretty good PC Engine/TG16 library and lots of hardware. Same for Sega Saturn.
    Sometimes its tempting to sell, but I know I would miss it, even if I dont use it.

The great thing is, you can play all your favorite games with Everdrives & ODEs on original hardware. I’ve got a MODE in my Saturn, and as soon as I stop being lazy, I’m gonna cash in & sell off my Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, and GBA games.

#257 2 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

OR.............. get rid of the stupid Pro and LE and go back to the way it was: one model with ALL the toys for everyone... this "I need all the special snowflake games in my gameroom" crap is one of the reasons we even have this tier system.

So you want stern to go out of business?

A factory needs to churn. The reason they do the 3 tiers is so they have guaranteed sales before anyone even plays it. If the LE sells out, and no one even buys a Prem or Pro, they’ve broken even and made profit. The rest is gravy. A pinball company that doenst leverage this marketing doesn’t sell games, as buyers will just “wait and see” …and while they’re waiting and seeing, they lose interest anyway. There’s a reason American Pinball hasn’t sold shit, and Stern churns.

1 week later
    #322 2 years ago
    Quoted from dondon4720:

I am utterly gutted at the price increases, as a 26 year old trying to get into the hobby it is super frustrating, granted most people don't buy new right off the bat but it is causing used to go up as well. Still trying to save up but I feel some days its hopeless

It’s harder than it used to be, but try to keep your eyes/ears peeled for local deals. Craigslist, FB Marketplace, garage sales, etc. My best deals came from those purchases…from non-hobbyists with a random game in their garage & they don’t know how to take the glass off & they don’t want to pay a repair person.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-s-price-increases-may-be-pushing-me-out-of-this-hobby?tu=Rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.