Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 399 posts
  • 192 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by horseflesh
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

243158951_836639187055880_1111407005989233472_n (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210827_183312406 (resized).jpg
    a7a07a5879a72dc8749ba777f7db4e9eecf5832c (resized).jpg
    6926E45F-8E59-4554-B39E-55EA9EBFF5CA (resized).jpeg
    FB55DE01-DBD2-475D-91C4-F015F7B814FA (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BC_Gambit.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#348 2 years ago
    Quoted from WizardsCastle:

So, are there more people like me out there, that may have bought 2-3 games a year, and are now barely willing to buy one?
    This latest price increase has definitely impacted my buying decisions, so it'll interesting to see how others react.

If you are "barely" willing to buy a new Stern, they will still be happy to take your money as you bitch to them about how much their mancave toy costs

Really only matters if you are "not" willing to buy (and a lot of other people are unwilling to buy). Everything is going up in price; 10K by christmas may just be the price of a Stern Pro this time next year . It already is about that for a Godzilla pro in Canada after taxes...

#353 2 years ago
    Quoted from WizardsCastle:

I'd respectfully disagree with you.
    I was enjoying bringing in a new game every few months, and would finance these new titles by selling something in my current collection.
    But with the price hike, I've lost my appetite for it. I say "barely", because I've gone from wanting to try out multiple titles each year, to saying I'm just going to wait for the next Elwin game.
    So, if they're getting 1/3 of the money from me than they got from me in the past, it's still a huge difference. At current LE prices, it's $15K+ versus $45K+ (CAD).
    Die heard collector's and newbies with lots of cash to spend will definitely help keep sales moving, but from what I'm hearing, there are a lot of people like me that are changing their spending habits, or are completely putting the kibosh on this hobby.
    I personally think Stern got greedy. They can say all day that the cost of parts went up, but their margins were stupid prior to this, and are even more absurd now.
    But we're to blame to. We were chomping at the bit for anything and everything these companies put out (I mean, if you put your money in Deeproot, you clearly have a problem with pinball) and they say that they had left money on the table. Any of us here, running a business like this, would have done the same. Gary Stern and crew are now evil, they're opportunistic.
    But for me, and only me, they've lost a lot of my money and my interest.

You're not "wrong", but I have heard this refrain from collectors when they started raising the prices of what would now be considered a premium from what ~$3500 a decade or so ago? And it really hasn't seemed to stunt their bottom line. One person says Stern has gone too far, another 2 new buyers happily take their place. And in 2-3 years when those buyers run out of room, funds, or are tired of each game getting more expensive, the cycle repeats...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BC_Gambit.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-s-price-increases-may-be-pushing-me-out-of-this-hobby?tu=BC_Gambit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.