Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 399 posts
  • 192 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by horseflesh
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

243158951_836639187055880_1111407005989233472_n (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210827_183312406 (resized).jpg
    a7a07a5879a72dc8749ba777f7db4e9eecf5832c (resized).jpg
    6926E45F-8E59-4554-B39E-55EA9EBFF5CA (resized).jpeg
    FB55DE01-DBD2-475D-91C4-F015F7B814FA (resized).jpeg
    There are 399 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
    #1 2 years ago

So it seems the Stern price increases are official. And it just might be the last straw for my wallet and my love for the hobby. When these prices go up, used ones will go up even more. I really do feel that maybe this hobby is financially passing me by.

#2 2 years ago

You have a nice collection, why do you have to get out?
    Cant you just play your games?
    Trade values are still there also

#3 2 years ago

Yeah, I'm feeling what you're saying. I was lucky to have gotten into the hobby in the 00's when games were much (MUCH) less expensive. I built up my collection then. If I waited until now it would be very difficult to do in regards to DMD and LCD games at least. I have one machine on order, then I may be tapping out on NIB as well. From now on out I might just do trades with fellow collectors to keep a new (new to me) machine coming into the gameroom every year or so, or round out my collection with EMs which doesn't seem like a bad thing to do.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

or round out my collection with EMs which doesn't seem like a bad thing to do.

EMs are a lot of fun, and they’re a LOT easier on the budget.

#5 2 years ago

As long as the price of exit keeps going up, the price of entry doesn't really matter much.

#6 2 years ago

Won't be getting out, but might not be buying more games if the increases are too crazy. Sold a couple games recently so I have room and I could pop for a new one, and pretty much planned to do that - but, if the jump in prices is is too big for my comfort level, I can just stand pat and play what I have. Shall see shortly I guess. Really have more than enough nice games to play.

#7 2 years ago

look around, inflation is here and prices are going up everywhere

Used market will eventually bottom out, get saturated and prices will drop once supply issues work themselves out
    Give it a few years and there will be plenty of good buys on the used market

also you have a good collection of 8 machines, enjoy what you have and be happy

#8 2 years ago

Dollar spent today on anything gets less value returned. Function of FED driven " stimulus " . Print lots pretty pictures dead president's on paper without backing = inflationary pressure all goods . You have nice collection enjoy what you have .

NIB not all that great expierence anyway as observed in many posts here .

Shane

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

As long as the price of exit keeps going up, the price of entry doesn't really matter much.

it does matter because as they creep higher they will go out of reach for some who just have a game or 2.

#11 2 years ago

I'm pretty sure the B/W classics of the 90s will keep their value or continue to rise in the future. They are classics for a reason.

Brand new JJP, Stern and similar will always slowly drop in price over time as long as they keep churning out new titles and people always hunt the newest, hottest titles.

#12 2 years ago

It’s a perfect storm for speculators who don’t have interest in the hobby long term. We see it everyday and it does get old.

Do other aspects of hobby interest you?
    Ive always wanted to try a partial restore but just haven’t made the commitment to it yet.

#13 2 years ago

I'm enjoying what I have. I don't worry about what Stern or JJP are going to pump out for $10k because I probably won't be buying it anyway.

#14 2 years ago

This is like in George Orwell's 1984, where everyone's chocolate ration is lowered from an already reduced amount, and people just want the previous insulting low ration.

The prices are grossly inflated now, and they'll be worse once the increase takes effect.

I'm part of the problem, because I'm still buying games, but I am starting to get tired of it.

We raised these prices inadvertently by purchasing games sight unseen. The distributors realized they were leaving money on the table.

Hard to go back now, they sort of have us by the balls.

#15 2 years ago

Oh the humanity.... I can no longer afford my grossly overpriced toys.

I feel so sorry for your first world problems.

Whats next sell the boat or cut down on golf trips?

Everything on the planet is getting more expensive thanks to pandemic related labor and component shortages so may want to be saving your money anyways.

#16 2 years ago

Whatever part of the upcoming increase is added because of the inter connect feature does not thrill me. Paying for a feature I do not want. I'd rather they add another spinner or pop bumper or something. The new feature might be good for operators and some players might like it - but no thanks for me. I may reconsider buying that next game if the jump is too big. Gomez said there will be subscribed content in there in the future. I will not pay to unlock some gameplay feature that should be in the game in the first place. It's a future revenue stream based add on despite what else is being bandied about.

#17 2 years ago

As a few have already stated, the price of entry and expansion of collections have gone up but a different way to think about it is to let your collection size plateau for while. Yes NIB prices are increasing just like everything else but so are used prices. Sell one game from your collection and buy another, yes it could cost you some money(title dependent) but that is nothing new.

My two cents and only you can decide what’s best for you.

#18 2 years ago

Cosmo is right. You have a lot of machines. I’ve never had more than 3. I could afford more but my wife would think I’m crazy. So the way I look at it I have a finite amount of dollars tied up in them. You have a huge luxury with your inventory as you could always have an amazing stash of five machines and you will remain cash neutral to favorable even with price increases.

#19 2 years ago

I'll say this. If the price increase adds more toys. i'm for it. But i doubt that. Look at games 5 years ago vs today's games. Not even sure the lcd screen ads much to the game. I'd rather have the old 1 color screens back for more toys and playfields mechanisms.

#20 2 years ago

i almost have my pinball area filled up anyways with games(all newer). So I will mostly need to sell games to make room for new ones unless I can negotiate more space in the basement. So at this point Im not too worried as Ill get more for the games Im selling which will fund nib games. Its like buying a home. Being a first time buyer right now sucks with the prices. But as long as you are selling one as well its not so bad because at least you are getting good money for your current home

#21 2 years ago

What's the price increase? Where was that announced?

#22 2 years ago

So cute to watch some you get at now where I have been for almost 5 years now.

#23 2 years ago

Does anyone have a link showing the price increase? I can't seem to find it.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

So cute to watch some you get at now where I have been for almost 5 years now.

FB55DE01-DBD2-475D-91C4-F015F7B814FA (resized).jpegFB55DE01-DBD2-475D-91C4-F015F7B814FA (resized).jpeg
    #25 2 years ago

Lol.. I knew my comment would get downvoted.

Typical entitled attitude. Like you somehow deserve to have whatever you want and anyone who says otherwise is being "mean" or a "hater".

Cant afford current prices? go out and earn more money and stop bitching.

Pinball is a luxury item and they have been overpriced for years. Dont like the prices? dont buy them.

I went from having 20 or so games to just a few because prices went way up so I stopped buying them even though I can "afford" whatever I want.

#26 2 years ago

Of course you did. You’re a arrogance shows. You came back on to justify your comment and brag about your wealth and explain your PhD in tool manufacturing. Good job, bravo!

#27 2 years ago

Is the price increase enough to turn off the flippers?

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from Monte:

Of course you did. You’re a arrogance shows. You came back on to justify your comment and brag about your wealth and explain your PhD in tool manufacturing. Good job, bravo!

Im not bragging about wealth... I am bragging about not being an idiot or a whiner.

When prices suck I dont buy things and get on with my life...

I guess i could complain about it? does that make people feel better?

#29 2 years ago

I do not buy nib.
    Prices are going up across the board.
    I sold off a lot of my collection.

Now it is a hobby, not an obsession.
    One in one out. There are still plenty of games that are fun to play at prices i can afford.
    Once i switched from collector to hobbyist, i no long felt i had to have games that were A list. ( though i really didnt follow that stategy either).

People spend money on lots of crazy things.
    Spending a few bucks on a solid state game that i know i came break even on as a result of pinflation doesnt seem too expensive to me.
    Since i sell one and buy one, the additional cash i throw in is not that much. Like buying a pin outright in the 00's when i got into this.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Im not bragging about wealth... I am bragging about not being an idiot or a whiner.
    When prices suck I dont buy things and get on with my life...

Really? You extrapolated from the original post that he was a idiot and that he is a whiner? Think a little deeper and use less frontal lobe.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from Monte:

Really? You extrapolated from the original post that he was a idiot and that he is a whiner? Think a little deeper and use less frontal lobe.

Lol... OK Ill let you guys get back to complaining about the rising costs of overpriced luxury items you dont need.

My heart really goes out to the OP for this incredible hardship he is facing.

#32 2 years ago

I'll never understand why people continue to blame Stern and get angry at them for rising prices when they are, always have been, and apparently always will be the cheapest full-size commercial pinball machines available.

Why not get mad at the other 6 pinball companies, which all charge higher money for their cheapest games? Aren't they more responsible for pushing you out of the hobby by continually raising the ceiling?

#33 2 years ago

Lol.. I knew my comment would get downvoted.
    Typical entitled attitude. Like you somehow deserve to have whatever you want and anyone who says otherwise is being "mean" or a "hater".
    Cant afford current prices? go out and earn more money and stop bitching.
    Pinball is a luxury item and they have been overpriced for years. Dont like the prices? dont buy them.
    I went from having 20 or so games to just a few because prices went way up so I stopped buying them even though I can "afford" whatever I want.

Your comment got downvoted because you were a dick head. If I had made this post on a starving child website, then you're comments are warranted. I'm on a hobby website discussing how I'm getting priced out of that hobby. It's relevant. Why are you here?

#34 2 years ago

I guess I don't understand how the concept of any NIB price increase "pushes one out of the hobby"

Unless a venue's business model demands having the latest and greatest in order to survive (which also makes no sense), then there are less expensive options.

I agree the NIB prices are bananas, but I've felt that way for a long time.

Now, excuse me, I see some kids on my lawn and need to go yell at them.

#35 2 years ago

Is the price won’t kill you the service will!

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Your comment got downvoted because you were a dick head. If I had made this post on a starving child website, then you're comments are warranted. I'm on a hobby website discussing how I'm getting priced out of that hobby. It's relevant. Why are you here?

See pinball corpse above....

My comments are warranted because you are a guy who owns a room full of games... apparently upset that you cant get more?

Ever think of getting a second job so you can buy more? or any other ways of making more money? easier to complain?

The constant whining about pricing that goes on here is ridiculous.

No one owes you a living or an expensive hobby.

Prices will keep going up, demand is sky high, supply is short and more and more people get in the hobby every day.

#37 2 years ago

The price increases are $600 (pro)/$1000 (premium)/ $1000 (LE) right?

Some distributors like hemisphere are already reflecting the new pricing

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

One in one out. There are still plenty of games that are fun to play at prices i can afford.
    Once i switched from collector to hobbyist, i no long felt i had to have games that were A list.

After many years I switched from collector to hobbyist to enthusiast. As I've started to age like fine wine, I have found the "one in/one out" philosophy works well for me these days.

As far as pricing ... money is cheap in 2021 and houses, cars, pins are all in a bubble. Things will correct in due time.

#39 2 years ago

It would have to be something real special to get me to buy any pin now a days. Used or new. Its out of control, not a matter of lack of funds but theres a point where it makes u feel ridiculous and up here ur gonna be looking at 9K plus for a Pro.

#40 2 years ago

I recently bought my 3rd and final pinball. Only way I’d get another is if I trade or sell one.
    The prices are crazy on new pins but even crazier for used. If you want a MM AFM TZ or AF just be ready to bend over.

#41 2 years ago

Yawn, blah blah blah.

Everything goes up in price, get over it.

I’ll never understand why we constantly need new threads and posts from people who are announcing they are out of the nib game.

No one cares.

Godzilla le sold out. Watch how quick bttf sle and le models do the same.

See, no one cares.

#42 2 years ago

See ya. At least you should cash out nicely.

#43 2 years ago

These buying fears always puzzle me. It’s not like you buy a game for whatever and Lose that money forever? Based on the estimate market value average you own a game NIB and whatever the cost and what you Maybe lose 3-500$ Over a few years of use and enjoyment? Most times you Make money on resale. If you can’t worst case afford to lose $300 over a few years this likely Isn’t the right hobby for you.

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

I’ll never understand why we constantly need new threads and posts from people who are announcing they are out of the nib game.
    No one cares.

Because its 2021 and this is what people do... complain about their situation and do nothing about it, hope for a bail out or miracle.

This country is in for a shit kicking with inflation and recession and our workers are soft.

Everyone is a victim these days and just a human pile of complaint and reasons why they cant change things.

Its far easier to look around you and list the reasons you cant then to ya know... just get off your ass and fix your situation.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

These buying fears always puzzle me.

Says the guy that bought two RAZAs. You're not grounded in reality.

Listen, you salty cunts, I didnt make this post to get you guys upset.

#46 2 years ago

Because its 2021 and this is what people do... complain about their situation and do nothing about it, hope for a bail out or miracle.
    This country is in for a shit kicking with inflation and recession and our workers are soft.
    Everyone is a victim these days and just a human pile of complaint and reasons why they cant change things.
    Its far easier to look around you and list the reasons you cant then to ya know... just get off your ass and fix your situation.

Ok dad, we understand you are complaining about people complaining so stop complaining about what you are complaining about.

People use to have to push a quarter in a machine to play, you whipper snappers have it made with dropping quarters in a slot, dollar bill acceptors and pay-range.

#47 2 years ago

Not only will pinball machines being going up much higher in price than they are currently, but they will be going up at a faster rate from here on out.

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Says the guy that bought two RAZAs. You're not grounded in reality.
    Listen, you salty cunts, I didnt make this post to get you guys upset.

Yelobird might have fucked up by buying two deeproot games , but at least he hasn't made a thread complaining about it .

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

I'll never understand why people who think certain kinds of threads are tedious continue to post in them. What do u care? just drain the thread and move on. Seems to me maybe u don't like them cause ur forced to think about the ridiculous pricing.

#50 2 years ago

Incorrect.

I just made one post to express my opinion.

I don’t drain threads, only pussies with issues do.

There are 399 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-s-price-increases-may-be-pushing-me-out-of-this-hobby?hl=shadrac and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.