Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 323 posts
  • 169 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 hours ago by HC2016
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20210827_183312406 (resized).jpg
    a7a07a5879a72dc8749ba777f7db4e9eecf5832c (resized).jpg
    6926E45F-8E59-4554-B39E-55EA9EBFF5CA (resized).jpeg
    FB55DE01-DBD2-475D-91C4-F015F7B814FA (resized).jpeg

There are 323 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
    #301 3 days ago

I dunno, I guess I agree it’s becoming an expensive hobby. I bought an early Stern IronMan after playing it at Rocky Mtn Showdown in Golden, CO. It kicked my backside and I knew it was a decent game. I think it was around $5K then, my first NIB. I later bought an LoTR LE NIB for around $7K shipped to me. I was less happy with that game, don’t get me wrong… LoTR is an awesome title. I didn’t like the build quality or the ‘gold plating’ job. Haven’t bought a Stern NIB since, probably won’t. But never say never. For now, I’d rather let someone else take the depreciation and know if the title is going to be decent. Led Zep was an interesting title, but they all looked fugly to me (but that’s a whole other thread).

#302 3 days ago

I don’t know if Stern’s pricing me out of the hobby…JJP has the highest price NIB by far but I can tell you this, auction pricing has me out of the hobby for sure LOL!!!

Bottom line is if you have disposable income you can afford what you budget for and want. Will these pins hold value 3-5 or 10 years down the road? That’s anyone’s guess. We have been saying this price bubble is gonna burst for years and it hasn’t happened yet. I don’t think we will ever see the valleys of the late 90’s/ early 2000’s but there will always be peaked and valleys. These prices are aren’t going away anytime soon.

#303 3 days ago

Why do so many people equate Stern’s NIB pricing with cost to be in the hobby?

If all you have is machines made in the last few years are you really in the hobby?

#304 3 days ago
    Quoted from jfh:

If all you have is machines made in the last few years are you really in the hobby?
    //<![CDATA[
    window.__mirage2 = {petok:"37a3f49ec74decb34d3c3fc1985c585200f2ff9c-1631607658-1800"};
    //]]>

The short answer is yes.
    Like nearly all hobbies there are different levels of collecting and involvement.
    You don’t even have to own a machine to be in the hobby.
    We have many local tournament and league player that are highly involved in the hobby that do not personally own a single machine.

#305 3 days ago

Well, you pretty much just made my point …

#306 3 days ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

I don’t know if Stern’s pricing me out of the hobby…JJP has the highest price NIB by far but I can tell you this, auction pricing has me out of the hobby for sure LOL!!!
    Bottom line is if you have disposable income you can afford what you budget for and want. Will these pins hold value 3-5 or 10 years down the road? That’s anyone’s guess. We have been saying this price bubble is gonna burst for years and it hasn’t happened yet. I don’t think we will ever see the valleys of the late 90’s/ early 2000’s but there will always be peaked and valleys. These prices are aren’t going away anytime soon.

Especially if the influx of new collectors/players is true. Then the prices will only increase - both on new and used.

#307 2 days ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Why do so many people equate Stern’s NIB pricing with cost to be in the hobby?

I suspect it's folks looking to buy their first table don't know about reputable resources to find older tables. Try doing a Google search for "buy pinball table" and see what links come back. It's all scam/high used price websites, EBay pointers, or NIB distributors for me. If that's all someone knows, it comes down to paying $14,000+ for an Addams Family they fondly remember playing, or buying a NIB table for half that price that comes with a warranty.

Stern ends up being the NIB litmus test since they have more releases and the lowest pricing of the current main manufacturers. And hey, look, Stern has an Avengers table! Cool!

Money laundering conspiracy theories aside, I suspect the reason the prices were so outrageous on the Banning auction tables was people hearing about the auction, getting excited about owning a table, and not realizing they were paying double market price or more. Bidders likely had no idea what market price was, or used the scam/high price websites for comparison thinking they were getting a deal.

Quoted from jfh:

Of course! Virtual, physical, NIB, or EM, pinball is pinball, and I'm glad to see popularity rising.

#308 2 days ago

New and "newish" pinball machines have been outside my budget since 2004 when I started collecting. As I slowly started to make a little more money, games continued rising just out of reach. Modern stuff for me is increasingly harder to justify. Feels a little oddball here on Pinside, but over time I've just conceded to being an EM guy. I am perfectly happy with it.

#309 2 days ago

I am utterly gutted at the price increases, as a 26 year old trying to get into the hobby it is super frustrating, granted most people don't buy new right off the bat but it is causing used to go up as well. Still trying to save up but I feel some days its hopeless

#310 1 day ago
    Quoted from dondon4720:

I am utterly gutted at the price increases, as a 26 year old trying to get into the hobby it is super frustrating, granted most people don't buy new right off the bat but it is causing used to go up as well. Still trying to save up but I feel some days its hopeless

I didn't buy my first NIB game until I was 43 (LOTR). Don't be frustrated...one day it will happen.

#311 1 day ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

I didn't buy my first NIB game until I was 43 (LOTR). Don't be frustrated...one day it will happen.

46 here.

Somehow I managed to enjoy this hobby for 20 years without buying a new game.

#312 1 day ago

Lots of folks in Cincinnati, just start buying a 12 pack and heading over

#313 1 day ago
    Quoted from dondon4720:

I still have never bought a NIB game. I could, but I don't want to shoulder the depreciation.

Oddly enough, I have considered it recently for the first time, but only because I can't seem to find a GB or ACNC...and EHOH pins are still available at distros, and people ask more for used ones than NIB!!

#314 1 day ago
    Quoted from alienpoker:

I dunno, I guess I agree it’s becoming an expensive hobby.

You guys are ridiculous.

People were saying this when prices were "cheap" a decade or more ago...

It has always been an expensive hobby.

#315 1 day ago

If you can be “priced out of something” you never belonged there in the first place!

The hobby is so many different things to many different people. I see random posts like this and it is ridiculous and embarrassing. You don’t have to be able to afford to buy a new machine in order to be a part of this hobby.

If that’s all the hobby means to the OP, I truly feel sad for you for that reason alone, and not the fact that you can’t afford a NIB any longer. No one gives a crap about that, nor should they. If they do, you have some seriously shallow expectations when choosing pinball friends and acquaintances.

#316 1 day ago

As a collector and arcade operator, I agree there are many ways to be in the hobby. I run a weekly league with around 50 people and 30+ show up each week. I would guess 1/3 to half own games at home. But there are many that come to learn how to be better players and the rules with out owning. Some may own a single game or EM, while others own multiple new games. My point is that not everyone has to own a new Stern, JJP, etc. to enjoy the hobby or playing.

#317 1 day ago

Not until my quarters are dry.

#318 1 day ago

Sterns prices vs banning auction prices. Steam is lost in the argument IMO.

It’s still a good argument.

#319 23 hours ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Hey that was my first NIB too. I won’t share how old I was when I got it though cause I just misplaced my flame suit.

#320 22 hours ago

If you have a good base collection you are fine. The rising tide lifts all boats. You can trade games in and out as you see fit. I am at personal capacity so a new game to me means something has to go. If you are new to the hobby it is getting harder to get your foot in the door. The nice thing is (at least for now) if you chose your games wisely you’re really not out anything other than your initial investment. I’ve collected for a long time and have only purchased 3 NIB and each title is now worth considerably more than I paid for it. Avoid titles like Thunderbirds and WWF and you’re looking pretty good these days.

#321 18 hours ago

TRIGGER WARNING- Truth hurts pinball

When the community keeps demanding a " loaded " pin every time, you have got to expect to pay for it.

I am grateful for what I have and can afford. Its not like We need these luxury items.

#322 17 hours ago
    Quoted from dondon4720:

It’s harder than it used to be, but try to keep your eyes/ears peeled for local deals. Craigslist, FB Marketplace, garage sales, etc. My best deals came from those purchases…from non-hobbyists with a random game in their garage & they don’t know how to take the glass off & they don’t want to pay a repair person.

#323 17 hours ago

I’m certainly out for NIB this day forward . It was a reach for me for the last 3 NIBs , but I made it happen . Now , I’ll take a pass , second hand machines from now on from owners , not flippers .

There are 323 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside