Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 399 posts
  • 192 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by horseflesh
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

243158951_836639187055880_1111407005989233472_n (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210827_183312406 (resized).jpg
    a7a07a5879a72dc8749ba777f7db4e9eecf5832c (resized).jpg
    6926E45F-8E59-4554-B39E-55EA9EBFF5CA (resized).jpeg
    FB55DE01-DBD2-475D-91C4-F015F7B814FA (resized).jpeg
    There are 399 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.
    #101 2 years ago

I didn't read every post and this the first time not reading every post and commenting on ANY forum. It seems you have first world problem. Can't you play your current machines?

It's kind of like saying if I can't take out my million dollar yacht, I can't go fishing.

I enjoyed this hobby more when it was broke smelly people with a lot of passion. Some people act as if it NIB or nothing at all. I've never come close to owning a NIB machine, nor would I want to.

I'm not trying to bash the OP but what happened to finding and fixing machines and being satisfied once you had? I'm not saying the OP has to fall into either extreme. There is a happy medium however.

#102 2 years ago

Just play the new overpriced ones on location and enjoy the ones you already own, plenty of hobby enjoyment left even though prices are getting crazy.

#103 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

enjoyed this hobby more when it was broke smelly people with a lot of passion. Some people act as if it NIB or nothing at all. I've never come close to owning a NIB machine, nor would I want to.

This, this and this. And there are still deals to be had if you cultivate pinball relationships. I never pay "retail" and I never charge "retail." A machine I'm interested in comes up at a fair price on my personal radar about every 6 months or so on average, and has for the last ten years. Just picked up a nice Funhouse for a third or a quarter of the price of nibs these days because of a connection I made years ago.

Ifn yer new machines or nothing, well I ain't got nothing to say to you...

#104 2 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Listen, you salty cunts, I didnt make this post to get you guys upset.

What a quote, I should end every post I make with that.

#105 2 years ago

I sold all my games years ago, and happily for profits on each one. Now I just play on location for what $20. I’m just not willing to tie up big money in pinball anymore for worse quality. I completely do not understand the current interest in NIB.

#106 2 years ago

But, but you can pay more for Sterns NIB quality products!!!

Oh wait.... nevermind.
    My Paragon playfield is pristine BTW.

a7a07a5879a72dc8749ba777f7db4e9eecf5832c (resized).jpga7a07a5879a72dc8749ba777f7db4e9eecf5832c (resized).jpg
    #107 2 years ago

Fu*k now we have the dimple argument creeping into this shit thread….

#108 2 years ago

Sorry...
    But I dont need a price increase to keep me away from Stern or JJP.

#109 2 years ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

Sorry...
    But I dont need a price increase to keep me away from Stern or JJP.

U should prolly remove EHOH from your wishlist then

#110 2 years ago

Oh no!! I refuse.
    It's a rad game.
    It pisses me off that I cant buy one.
    I'm going to pay $9000 grand, and watch the playfield turn into an impressionist painting?
    Oh no.
    My TNA is also gorgeous after 3 years.

#111 2 years ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

I'm going to pay $9000 grand, and watch the playfield turn into an impressionist painting?
    Oh no.

For $9,000,000 I agree that PF better be bullet proof.

TNA looks great cause the ball has no real path to be launched in the air. Its a flat new style modern EM.

#112 2 years ago

Why not buy a superior and cheaper Bally,Williams or Gottlieb pin?

#113 2 years ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

Oh no!! I refuse.
    It's a rad game.
    It pisses me off that I cant buy one.
    Oh no.

$9000 grand?

#114 2 years ago

I'm out too at that price point..

#115 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

TNA looks greats cause the ball has no real path to be launched in the air. Its a flat new style modern EM.

RnM looks great also……what’s the new theory?

#116 2 years ago

Yes. But he’s only buying one. That’ll show Stern!

#117 2 years ago

Prices have gone up for every piece of amusement equipment(along with everything else) not just pinball my props to stern for not doing as soon as others. Anyone with a working brain should have saw this coming. governments cant keep printing money and handing it out like candy without inflation.

#118 2 years ago

Everyone has to draw a line somewhere, I have a NIB on order for a Stranger Things Pro. If that and other Stern Pros move to close to $7000 after tax and whatever, I’m out. Honestly, I can afford that but, for me, it’s just not worth it at that point. I’ll just see what I can do in the secondary market or enjoy what I have.

It’s not as complex as a pin, but I just ordered a custom made hand wired tube amp for my guitar from a boutique amp manufacturer in LA. You get personal services, direct communication with the guy that makes them by hand and the ability to make choices in terms of what you want. It’s an amp for home use and small gigs, but it will come in at around $2500-$2700. Everybody has their passion and pinball is one of mine, but I’ll have way more fun with that amp than a $7000 Stern Pro.

With that being said, Stern can do whatever they want but so can we…

#119 2 years ago
    Quoted from WizardsCastle:

This is like in George Orwell's 1984, where everyone's chocolate ration is lowered from an already reduced amount, and people just want the previous insulting low ration.

One of the most important books I have ever read. Astounding, in all things like the Accuracy of your analogy.

Very nice. We are all the children of George Orwell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Minutes_Hate

#120 2 years ago

My unpopular, useless opinion:

The market can sustain it. Stern has a 3000 unit backlog, inflation, cost of goods through the roof. Distributors don’t and won’t have significant inventory until middle/end of next year at this rate. Look at the prices from the last Tennessee auction ffs.

Personally I don’t know if I’m still in yet. Definitely have to see products before I buy. Interested in cactus and Godzilla but will probably throw $ at a 6500 Godzilla before I buy a 7500$ entry level cactus canyon. I’m done with fomo.... I gotta see the game first. I’m also probably done with American.... tired of waiting for any kind of announcement from that company.

Price has gone up over 2k at this point since lotr... over 1k since gb. The games have less stuff in them. You can tell when you look at mando that there was a limit on the bom, all the way down to the number of screws they used on it lol. Doesn’t mean it’s a shitty game at all. (It does mean that I had to spend $300 on wireforms and an animatronic grogu though lol). Stern is in business to make money, they’re not unicef. It is what it is.

Mike

#121 2 years ago
    Quoted from Guidotorpedo:

The market can sustain it. Stern has a 3000 unit backlog, inflation, cost of goods through the roof. Distributors don’t and won’t have significant inventory until middle/end of next year at this rate. Look at the prices from the last Tennessee auction ffs.
    Personally I don’t know if I’m still in yet. Definitely have to see products before I buy. Interested in cactus and Godzilla but will probably throw $ at a 6500 Godzilla before I buy a 7500$ entry level cactus canyon. I’m done with fomo.... I gotta see the game first. I’m also probably done with American.... tired of waiting for any kind of announcement from that company.
    Price has gone up over 2k at this point since lotr... over 1k since gb. The games have less stuff in them. You can tell when you look at mando that there was a limit on the bom, all the way down to the number of screws they used on it lol. Doesn’t mean it’s a shitty game at all. (It does mean that I had to spend $300 on wireforms and an animatronic grogu though lol). Stern is in business to make money, they’re not unicef. It is what it is.
    Mike

Of course this is assuming that we don’t have some kind of Lehman bros collapse or the taliban doesn’t fly one of our old f-15s up our ass. Then all bets are off

#122 2 years ago

The market can sustain it.

I agree that the market can sustain it…for now. However, with my business, my philosophy is to build long term relationships and customer royalty. The play is I’m in it with you for the long haul and I will always treat you right, so that when times change (and they will) those same customers will stick with me because they know I always treated them right through thick and thin. In other words, I never take the opportunity to fleece my customers for quick extra cash at the sacrifice of losing that confidence and trust. In my opinion, that is what Stern is doing now. We will see how it turns out for them. Maybe great, maybe not.

#123 2 years ago

Price has gone up over 2k at this point since lotr.

It's gone up more then that. I got my LOTR NIB when it first came out for $3250.

#124 2 years ago

With the price increases and new subscription revenue stream Connect will provide I wouldn’t be surprised if sale of the company is being actively planned. Gotta pump up that EBITDA.

#125 2 years ago

Mike

Stern BTTF FOMO will be like you've never seen it before. Everyone (including myself) and their grandmother will want it. I've been in the hobby 12 years, and it will most likely be my first NIB (if I can get one).

#126 2 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

Stern BTTF FOMO will be like you've never seen it before. Everyone (including myself) and their grandmother will want it. I've been in the hobby 12 years, and it will most likely be my first NIB (if I can get one).

I’m not convinced they’re doing BTTF. Rumors aren’t always right.

#127 2 years ago
    Quoted from EmptyLogic:

I'm out too at that price point..

Tell em stevedave!

#128 2 years ago

The market can sustain it.

Agreed. Little doubt in my mind, at least for the next year or two.

#130 2 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

RnM looks great also……what’s the new theory?

RnM is a good game but that's strictly due to code. Again not very much going on there to cause dimples.

#131 2 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

Ehhhhhh...... ok. I mean I can see it flying off the shelf. I can wait.

#132 2 years ago

LOL.... 0-100, right into a wall bro

#133 2 years ago

edited

Quoted from usandthem:

That's the problem with themes one really loves, it makes one crack open the wallet just that extra bit more to make the stretch. I won't lie, if they do make BTTF I will probably pay their price. Having said that I'm lucky in that I have a few local places to play all the new pins (thanks AYCE Gogi!) so I can skip most pins and be just fine.

#134 2 years ago

I am in before the lock.

#135 2 years ago

Price has gone up over 2k at this point since lotr

What are you talking about? Not remotely close.

#136 2 years ago

These posts are so hilarious:

"I mean....I could easily afford it...but principles....!!!!!" - Not so good humble brag. Like people who post it need us to know they CAN still afford it so they dont lose credibility with that rest of the crowd throwing around "fuck you" money.

"I mean...I'm done paying the price, unless they do BTTF. Then I'm buying one dog gone it....!"

And we wonder why prices just keep going north. Not like this community is making it clear or anything.

#137 2 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

What does this have to do with the current administration when all that USD was printed by the previous administration? That's like a bank being robbed, the robbers leave, then you accuse the next customer that walks through the door of having robbed the bank.

If political discussions here are taboo, why does one get a thread eject and not the other?

#138 2 years ago

Not sure why not buying the latest stern would push you out the hobby? Just play your current machines or buy the other thousand cheaper games available or play in arcades etc…

You don’t need to own the latest crazy silly expensive shit to be a pinball enthusiast!

I personally just don’t see the return in value on these new games. Far far better things to blow 10k on and get FAR more in return

#139 2 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

Not sure why not buying the latest stern would push you out the hobby?

This. Think of it like cars. If you like collecting classic cars who cares what's rolling off the assembly line or what it costs. A vast majority of my collection was made over 25 years ago and my newest title is already 6 years old.

#140 2 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

If political discussions here are taboo, why does one get a thread eject and not the other?

First because I didn't bring up politics, I was replying to the absurdly generic/incorrect comment someone else made. Second, because the printing of all that currency in 2020 *is* directly related to this thread. Example:

- When Medieval Madness was reissued and there were then many more in circulation, the existing units naturally went down in value.

- If a publicly traded company issues 24% more shares, it's stock price will get hammered and the value of an individual stock goes down.

- If you print 24% more currency, the existing currency gets devalued.

That event in 2020 is directly related to this thread. It was never a question of if prices would go up but instead by how much. Basically people are now trying to determine if we will get inflation or hyper inflation. To make a foodgument, if you were regularly trading 10 beers with me for a pizza and the value of beer went down 24%, would I still take your 10 beers? No, I'd want 12 or 13 because your beer is now less valuable. All these points are related in that the dollar was devalued in 2020 and now pinball costs more.

There's also the more complex side arguments of how that 2020 printing of currency has caused people with money to park it in other places like property, stocks, items of value, etc. That's way to much to get into here but that also affects pinball pricing. It's easy to say "Stern evil", "Boo Stern", "Stern is poopoo caca" but Stern does not take doubloons, Atari cartridges or lampshades for their pinball machines, they take $USD. And when the $USD got devalued in 2020, well, what do you expect to happen to pinball pricing?

#141 2 years ago

So here's my take, as a consumer I obviously don't enjoy spending more. Especially, when the price-jump is pretty large. But I get why Stern would do it.

It's funny, cuz used prices had finally gotten to the point where I decided buying NIB made more sense. Just got a JP Premium last week.

But now that NIB has gone up so much, I'll probably be going back to used games again. It's a funny cycle. Of course I've still got a Fathom and an UM headed my way, but those were you snooze you lose sort of buys.

#142 2 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

First because I didn't bring up politics, I was replying to the absurdly generic/incorrect comment someone else made. Second, because the printing of all that currency in 2020 *is* directly related to this thread. Example:
    - When Medieval Madness was reissued and there were then many more in circulation, the existing units naturally went down in value.
    - If a publicly traded company issues 24% more shares, it's stock price will get hammered and the value of an individual stock goes down.
    - If you print 24% more currency, the existing currency gets devalued.
    That event in 2020 is directly related to this thread. It was never a question of if prices would go up but instead by how much. Basically people are now trying to determine if we will get inflation or hyper inflation. To make a foodgument, if you were regularly trading 10 beers with me for a pizza and the value of beer went down 24%, would I still take your 10 beers? No, I'd want 12 or 13 because your beer is now less valuable. All these points are related in that the dollar was devalued in 2020 and now pinball costs more.
    There's also the more complex side arguments of how that 2020 printing of currency has caused people with money to park it in other places like property, stocks, items of value, etc. That's way to much to get into here but that also affects pinball pricing. It's easy to say "Stern evil", "Boo Stern", "Stern is poopoo caca" but Stern does not take doubloons, Atari cartridges or lampshades for their pinball machines, they take $USD. And when the $USD got devalued in 2020, well, what do you expect to happen to pinball pricing?

Facts and logic have no place here sir. I'm going to need you to boil down your argument to "My team good. Your team bad".

#143 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

What are you talking about? Not remotely close.

I was paying 3250-3450 for lotr.

#144 2 years ago

I was paying 3250-3450 for lotr.

And if manufactured today, LOTR would sell as a Premium, if not creating a new class of Super Premium pins, that would list for at least 8-9K.

#145 2 years ago

Well I think we have get used to this across the board of pretty much everything for a while.

We pretty much have a demand side type economy now which is basically print and even hand out money with the hope that businesses come up with great ideas and products and compete for the consumer’s money out there and hope they will hire a lot of folks with good wages as this happens and get more taxes back to Govt in return for their investment. But we also have - let’s look at raising taxes and add more regulations on businesses and their owners which “may” give less incentive to hire, invest, create for consumers money with price or quality and even have lower, not higher tax revenues back to govt. This is what is happening now - look around. Will it work? We will see over time.

Supply side economy gives tax breaks for businesses and usually less regulation which gives incentive for businesses to invest to come up with better products which consumers will want to buy and this “hopefully” creates more competition, better products for consumers and will add more jobs, and generate even more taxes at a lower rate from the sales of the products. If this is working well then more money will be added to the economy. But this “may not” work either. That is not going on now from what I see. We have money first now.

In the background we have also have Govt who has interest in steering consumers towards certain purchases and incentives to certain businesses to make certain products. Too really muddy things up we have many business with owners and higher up employees paid with stock and the market has been very hot lately with many companies losing money that have stocks with very High price increases over the last year making the owners, employees and shareholders large and small wealthier. Will the govt incentives to consumers and employers work and will owners, employers and management of companies have incentive to invest and produce better products when their net worth has rose significantly over the last year and any new competition for them will likely have higher start up costs, more regulation and higher taxes to come in and compete? We are living this now so we will see. And the two items above have been going on for years but now we have HUGE amounts of Govt money being added to the economy along with HUGE stock gains at the same time and both more then ever in history. What will happen? Not sure but living it now.

I could be wrong in my views of the above thoughts of what is going on, but this is how I am looking at things without tons of degrees hanging on the wall. And we will see what happens.

And it doesn’t matter what you or I think how or what this all is or what will happen, it will just work out how it will work out. Just live your life how you want to live and adjust along the way and you will be ok, no more NIB or not. Just my 2 cents

#146 2 years ago

It took you this long? 1%er problems

#147 2 years ago

Wonder if salaries are going to keep up with inflation too. If so it’s a easier pill to swallow.

#148 2 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

Nope. Delorean matchbox car on a spring and generic voice acting along with no movie assets if Stern keeps this shit up. But don’t worry, that titles two releases away and there will be another $1000 price increase by then.

Fuck this FOMO shit. Stern has destroyed any chances of turning this bom crapfest around.

#149 2 years ago

It's very simple, you want to buy it you buy it, you don't want to buy it you don't buy it.
    If there are more buyers than none buyers prices go up , and if there are less buyers prices go down.

But when I see people buying at 3k+ a NIB LE still in production just to be among the first ones to get their hands on a game, I will say the non buyer club will be short lived.

#150 2 years ago
    There are 399 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-s-price-increases-may-be-pushing-me-out-of-this-hobby/page/3?hl=md2020 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.