Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 122 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by legendpin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DILE-playfield-close-LE (resized).png
    go on (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballOsp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Having put in a couple of days on Elvira I can't help to feel tired of the minimalist, boring designs coming from Stern -- Keith obviously excluded, proving that you CAN have an awesome design and the game doesn't have to cost $10K+.

While the minimalist playfields made sense during the Big Buck Hunter Pro era everyone other pinball designer is putting out a pretty creative product out there -- and it's different every time.

Stern is the same thing, over and over, different themes -- which seems to please the buyers.

The programming is exceptional which I do believe is the only thing that makes these games actually stand out in any way. That seems to be one thing that other manufacturers (most notably JJP -- I can't tell what I am supposed to do in most of their games and I like complex rules) struggle with.

It's disappointing honestly esp when LEs cost $10K. I also can't help to be befuddled that the designers wouldn't try something different out of sheer boredom alone.

Oh well.

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

I think the biggest issue is that, as of late, Stern hasn’t had any incentive to not play it safe. Their products sell. Until that changes, you won’t see the pattern change.

I think you nailed it... the products sell. So why change -- although why is Keith putting out something different??

#62 4 years ago
    Quoted from pipes:

See we differ greatly here because I'd take just the thought of owning a Wonka or Oktoberfest over actually owning a BK3.

+100! BK3 has got to be THE blandest game Stern has put out in a very long time.

#91 4 years ago
    Quoted from VALIS666:

I'm not trying to set a super high bar for Stern to hurdle, to me it seems more like everything they do now is given a pass because lately they've had some big winners. And this isn't about what I like or anyone else likes. If someone thinks EHOH is one of the best games they've ever played, that's great. There are few pinballs I don't like starting about the mid-'60s. But if someone says it doesn't matter that EHOH and BKSOR have generic layouts because IMDN and DP and JP don't, I don't get that argument. I just wish EHOH and BKSOR came out better than they did. The fact that Jurassic Park exists doesn't improve either of those games.

Great post!

Stern also gets a pass because "they saved pinball when Williams went down". It's not like pinball would have ceased to exist AND also -- that was a long time ago

I also don't get the argument of "it shoots well". By that logic, why isn't every single game exactly the same layout but with different art on it?

#95 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Some of the best games ever made have come out in the last few years. The hobby has never been better for different manufacturers, machines and choices.

I am not sure any of that is based on fact. The highest ranked and most expensive games (so 'best' by some definition) are actually old games... and there were just as many manufacturers and choices in the 90s.

I do agree it's great to have choices. It would be nice to see more choices coming from Stern.

#111 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

well well that's like um cause the rating are bullshit and need to be redesigned man. Someone should start a thread aboot it!

Definitely true but pinside will never agree on how to do this list never mind its contents. Would be fun to try

#112 4 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

There are four "old games" on the pinside top ten three of those are two flipper fan layouts TZ is the only "old game" in the top ten with more than two flippers

Sure -- but that was 20+ years ago. Back then those designs were 'fresh'. But now repeating the same thing over again just doesn't make sense to me.

But then looking at this thread there are many people are satisfied. Makes no sense to me but shows you what I know

#113 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballaddicted:

If what Stern has to offer right now does not interest you maybe look else where to find and play other games that you like.

I love Keith's games for their depth and creativity. I can't imagine better, actually.

And Stern still makes the most interesting rules (although JJP & others have had some great ideas).

I just think the layouts suck. Whether you turn out 5 games a year or 50 I don't see what difference it makes. In fact more is worse.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballOsp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-s-playfield-design-is-super-disappointing?tu=pinballOsp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.