Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 122 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by legendpin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DILE-playfield-close-LE (resized).png
    go on (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lpeters82.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 4 years ago

I'm not a Stern fanboy, but I feel like Stern is still in a really good place. They easily have my favorite combination of designer, coder, and artist in Keith Elwin, Layman Sheats, and Zombie Yeti. They have eight of the top twenty rated games, with the oldest of those being from 2003. Three of them are from the past two years...granted there seems to be a lot of weight on Keith Elwin.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Stern needed a breath of fresh air that KME has provided with his released games. The rest of stern's line up as of late is uninspired, the exception Deadpool.

It just seems like we are making a lot of exceptions. We've voted 50% of their games in the last two years in the top-10, yet we dismiss those games. I would also argue that Black Knight and The Beatles don't feel like cookie cutter fan layouts. Basically some people just don't seems to like Munsters and Elvira.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

...however VERY few (if any) of those games are well regarded by modern standards for gameplay.

I'm defending Stern in this thread, but I would also defend those 80s games. A good number of those games are great and people dismiss them simply because they have a bad ranking on Pinside.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

...however VERY few (if any) of those games are well regarded by modern standards for gameplay.

I'm defending Stern in this thread, but I would also defend those 80s games. A good number of those games are great and people dismiss them simply because they have a bad ranking on Pinside.

Quoted from gweempose:

Out of all the designers, Borg is the biggest abuser of recycled playfield elements.

It's hard to blame them, because when they are done right fan layouts can be super fun to shoot. The issue I see is many tend to have the Top-10 as their dream lineup. Many of them play similarly, so that ends up feeling a bit dull.

PS: I'm a bit guilty of that myself. Some purchase opportunities presented themselves and I made the purchases. Now I feel my lineup is a bit too heavy on fan layouts, so I'm looking to make a trade.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

I won't have time to post much more in this thread today, but I'd love to come up with a list of some of these crazy/unique 80s layouts, and then debate if the games are good or not.

If I had room for more games, I'd for sure add more 80s games. I currently have Hardbody in my 80s spot and I don't see it ever going anywhere.

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I've never understood the subway fetish. Ball goes somewhere I can't see then comes out somewhere else? Ho-hum. Always felt like lazy design to me, like they couldn't figure out a good ball path on the topside, and "cheated" on the bottom.

Hmm...I like them because they add a secondary path without disrupting the existing shots on the topside. I want designers to think in 3D.

Quoted from Zablon:

Actually it is just the opposite. It provides 'more' area to get the ball around to where you want it without sacrificing other interactivity on the main playfield.

Jinx

#70 4 years ago

VUKs still have potential. If the goal is to just stop a ball, use something else, but if you want to fire the ball somewhere they can be effective. I think both up-posts and VUKs have there place.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lpeters82.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-s-playfield-design-is-super-disappointing?tu=lpeters82 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.