Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 122 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by legendpin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DILE-playfield-close-LE (resized).png
    go on (resized).png
    There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballaddicted:

3lvira rocks by the way. We got our game yesterday and love it. Closest feel to a BW yet.

Gotta agree with this, the layout is nothing daring but the mechs, subway, and theme integration do make it feel like the good old days.

Biggest reasons Sterns feel the same is that Gary imposes rules on all the titles - no widebodies, always pops, never lower pops, always Italian bottom, no backbox animations, and so forth. If you think back to 90s B/W there was variation in many of those areas from game to game.

#102 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Pure fun right?!
    JP and Elvira are a great one two punch right now
    For pinball lovers of course
    There are some clueless numbnuts out there. LOL

Totally agree. 3lvira is awesome, I have not had a go on JP2 yet. I think the hobby has never been better.
    Some people are impossible to please.

#103 4 years ago

Totally agree. 3lvira is awesome, I have not had a go on JP2 yet. I think the hobby has never been better.
    Some people are impossible to please.

Well you def need to hit that one too Paddicted

Agreed. Hobby is on a major upswing

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Well you def need to hit that one too Paddicted
    Agreed. Hobby is on a major upswing

Yes agree totally iceman44 , We have run out of room and cannot fit anymore games for now. 3lvida was a dream theme for me so JP2 has to wait!

#105 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Theme
    Theme integration
    Code
    Lighting, call outs, LCD video and sound
    Layout
    In that order for me. If “layout” is an Elwin home run like JP then the rest should fall into place. And it does to make it one of the top pins ever at this point

Interesting. For me it would be Layout, Code, Theme. If the game is fun, I don't care about the theme much at all. A theme I like might make the game that much better, but a theme I don't like doesn't keep me from playing a game that's fun and challenging.

#106 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballOsp:

I am not sure any of that is based on fact. The highest ranked and most expensive games (so 'best' by some definition) are actually old games... and there were just as many manufacturers and choices in the 90s.
    I do agree it's great to have choices. It would be nice to see more choices coming from Stern.

There are four "old games" on the pinside top ten three of those are two flipper fan layouts TZ is the only "old game" in the top ten with more than two flippers

#107 4 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

There are four "old games" on the pinside top ten three of those are two flipper fan layouts TZ is the only "old game" in the top ten with more than two flippers

well well that's like um cause the rating are bullshit and need to be redesigned man. Someone should start a thread aboot it!

#108 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

well well that's like um cause the rating are bullshit and need to be redesigned man. Someone should start a thread aboot it!

If that is how you feel you should be quoting pinballOsp who brought up the list

#109 4 years ago

I got a chance to play a few of the latest Stern's last night on location. Elvira premium, Black Knight LE, Dead Pool Pro, and Jurassic Park Premium. Jurassic Park Premium was excellent, kinda want to buy one now. The game has a unique and fast layout. Elvira was fun but damn does that game seem bare and the short 100% plastic ramps look extremely cheap which is unacceptable on a $7500+ pin in my opinion. Elvira left me thinking "this game is fun but no way in hell is it worth $7800+". I'm sure the $15k model with the couch piece offers an entirely different experience (*insert sarcasm).

Dead Pool was fun and as a pro game I think it offers a decent value. Black Knight LE was the worst of them all in my opinion and the 3 friends I played it with. The upper playfield is dull and the main toy (the flail on the knight) likes to shoot the ball right down the middle. Fun...no. The lack of shots and mind numbing 120% pace drumming for the main track doesn't help either.

Jurassic Park Premium / LE has one hell of a fun layout with some cool features spread throughout the game. Keith is 2 for 2 so far and is bringing a breath of fresh air into Stern's playfield designs. I like many past Ritchie and Borg layouts but think both designers need to try something new with their playfield designs.

#110 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I got a chance to play a few of the latest Stern's last night on location. Elvira premium, Black Knight LE, Dead Pool Pro, and Jurassic Park Premium. Jurassic Park Premium was excellent, kinda want to buy one now. The game has a unique and fast layout. Elvira was fun but damn does that game seem bare and the short 100% plastic ramps look extremely cheap which is unacceptable on a $7500+ pin in my opinion. Elvira left me thinking "this game is fun but no way in hell is it worth $7800+". I'm sure the $15k model with the couch piece offers and entirely different experience (*insert sarcasm).
    Dead Pool was fun and as a pro game I think it offers a decent value. Black Knight LE was the worst of them all in my opinion and the 3 friends I played it with. The upper playfield is dull and the main toy (the flail on the knight) likes to shoot the ball right down the middle. Fun...no. The lack of shots and mind numbing 120% pace drumming for the main track doesn't help either.
    Jurassic Park Premium / LE has one hell of a fun layout with some cool features spread throughout the game. Keith is 2 for 2 so far and is bringing a breath of fresh air into Stern's playfield designs. I like many past Ritchie and Borg layouts but think both designers need to try something new with their playfield designs.

I agree with you on this especially BK LE the upper PF (super lame) some guy trying to sell an BKLE at $2k off.

I agree Elvira is not the best of many of these later pins like JP and Maiden, I can not understand how the premium costs $400 more than a normal premium.

I have not found a LE worth spending extra for since STLE

#111 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Definitely true but pinside will never agree on how to do this list never mind its contents. Would be fun to try

#112 4 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Sure -- but that was 20+ years ago. Back then those designs were 'fresh'. But now repeating the same thing over again just doesn't make sense to me.

But then looking at this thread there are many people are satisfied. Makes no sense to me but shows you what I know

#113 4 years ago

If what Stern has to offer right now does not interest you maybe look else where to find and play other games that you like.

I love Keith's games for their depth and creativity. I can't imagine better, actually.

And Stern still makes the most interesting rules (although JJP & others have had some great ideas).

I just think the layouts suck. Whether you turn out 5 games a year or 50 I don't see what difference it makes. In fact more is worse.

#114 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballOsp:

I love Keith's games for their depth and creativity. I can't imagine better, actually.
    And Stern still makes the most interesting rules (although JJP & others have had some great ideas).
    I just think the layouts suck. Whether you turn out 5 games a year or 50 I don't see what difference it makes. In fact more is worse.

The hobby is only as good as you want to make it.

#115 4 years ago

Stern makes a lot of pins every year, some are great and some are "good"

But say Stern's "Layouts Suck" is crazy foolish IMO

I'm not a super fan, but is more difficult makes 6 games per year than 1

#116 4 years ago
    Quoted from legendpin:

Stern makes a lot of pins every year, some are great and some are "good"
    But say Stern's "Layouts Suck" is crazy foolish IMO
    I'm not a super fan, but is more difficult makes 6 games per year than 1

when I flip them and 90% of them I have no interest in playing again, let alone buy for home..I think that says something. Many of the rabid stern fans buy them unseen having never even played them, you start to feel they have to praise them to keep their state of mind. I'm not saying they are horrible, just that they tend to leave a 'meh' in my mind. That's even before thinking about the actual cost of one. I don't care about 6 games vs. 1. Make 1 good game. It's like saying Hollywood makes better movies when they plan trilogies, rather than 1 good movie.

#117 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

However, if you look at games that do things differently, such as Houdini, and the hate that game gets (because omg flow), you start to realize that the vocal people really don't want anything new.

Amen. Houdini is a tremendous entry pin the Pinside brigade shat down all the way to $5k. Is it the non-fan layout? Fragile egos shattered by the tight shots? JJP fanboys threatened by the similarly loaded, yet much cheaper brand? Whatever it is it's not getting a fair shake. We'll see if they do the same to Oktoberfest, an even better pin.

#118 4 years ago

I think stern is doing a great job at appeasing a wide verity of pinball fanatics. Not every release is going to be a unique bombshell.

#119 4 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

I think stern is doing a great job at appeasing a wide verity of pinball fanatics. Not every release is going to be a unique bombshell.

Good point. I agree they are generally going for mass appeal. I was honestly surprised they made Black Knight. Unlicensed theme and brutally fast/drainy.

#120 4 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Good point. I agree they are generally going for mass appeal. I was honestly surprised they made Black Knight. Unlicensed theme and brutally fast/drainy.

They have had a some big successes this year, and a few that was the same old layout slapped with a theme that pinsiders were begging for. With that said, there is something to be said about those bare bones games that are "cheap" and easy for ops to work on. I feel like I've seen a lot more pins on route in the past 5 years and almost all of them are stern pros. If these games are helping the popularity of our hobby then that's fine by me. The more people in the hobby means that we can actually have other manufacturers other than stern. Don't like this months brand new stern, fine buy a JJ or spooky or AP etc. When i first got into the hobby over 10 years ago it was hard to find a place to play a game on route, let alone find someone else near me that was into the hobby. I remember so many times people would say "whats a pinball machine".

#121 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Theme
    Theme integration
    Code
    Lighting, call outs, LCD video and sound
    Layout
    In that order for me. If “layout” is an Elwin home run like JP then the rest should fall into place. And it does to make it one of the top pins ever at this point

That's the bottom line...we all rank these attributes differently. I tend to rank layout (and shot "feel") first, which is why I rarely fire up BM66 (great theme/integration, but real boring layout & shot feel). OTOH, I can't stop playing JP2...innovative layout with amazing shot feel.

#122 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

when I flip them and 90% of them I have no interest in playing again, let alone buy for home..I think that says something. Many of the rabid stern fans buy them unseen having never even played them, you start to feel they have to praise them to keep their state of mind. I'm not saying they are horrible, just that they tend to leave a 'meh' in my mind. That's even before thinking about the actual cost of one. I don't care about 6 games vs. 1. Make 1 good game. It's like saying Hollywood makes better movies when they plan trilogies, rather than 1 good movie.

Only this year Stern made 2\3 Good games JPLE, ElviraLE and BlackNightLE(I need to play more)

In this thread we are not talking about Stern prices or other s***, We are talking about "Layout sucks" and I'm not agree.

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-s-playfield-design-is-super-disappointing/page/3?hl=ozpinsmith and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.