Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 246 posts
  • 90 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Smack
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

This+is+the+home+of+lars+ulrich+the+drummer+for+_f1030c0983c95e904c9fb87af38728cc (resized).png
    91EDI7zrnHL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    defenseteam (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#123 3 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Okay this might be a stupid question (or just coming from a stupid person haha) but if in theory Stern is paying a license per machine shouldn’t that be somewhat taken into consideration for a live stream? In other words if you need yet another license to live stream would you be able to get a reduced rate? Otherwise it might seem something like a double tax if you will.

that's not how licenses work. CPR wants to make addam's family playfields? You need the addam's family license, and every actor's permission (and license) if they are part of the artwork on it, plus the license from Rick and planetary pinball, and possibly royalties to the artist.

#172 3 years ago

I really can't say I'm mad at Stern, they really are protecting themselves. They have some of the biggest licenses, and they produce the most games (more likely to be streamed just based on volume), and they are the biggest pinball company so they have the biggest target on their backs. Hopefully they give some leeway in what end users are able to do, and this is nothing more than legal protection. But if you want to be that idiot that's like "Hey guys come watch my twitch stream, I have a jurassic park with all the movie assets loaded on", then you sorta deserve to get strikes against your channel, maybe even banned from future updates.

#174 3 years ago
    Quoted from djb_rh:

Why? When it comes to your example, pinball uses nothing but short clips that *already exist* in nearly pure form on YouTube and the like. Got a favorite movie line you like from ANY movie? Just punch most of it into the search bar and you'll be able to share your favorite clip with everyone via whatever social media you like.

With as good as bots are today, I'm amazed any of that still exists on youtube (unless you're a channel that specifically pays royalties for those clips).

Quoted from djb_rh:

So let's say someone takes clips from a copy of JP that they bought and puts them on the JP pinball that they bought. That's legal under fair use. So now what you're saying is you're fine that they can do that (I assume), but it's not fine that they can show it to the world? What have we come to? There's literally NO DAMAGE to the owner of that work, and if anything it might increase their revenue

Because an executive that works at a license company assumes nobody is smart enough to hack a pinball to put their own clips on so it must be Stern leaking some sort of code to consumers. Also if it's that easy then Stern should be doing something to prevent it because if it's that easy then what's the point in licensing anything? I mean why pay for cable, everyone should just be torrenting all their content since the web is making that possible.

Look do I think these media companies are greedy? Absolutely, I hate how many streaming services there are now. Used to be you could pay for cable and that was it. Now you have Disney plus, HBO max, CBS all access.. Now this Discovery plus wants to seperate out HGTV/Food network/TLC/animal planet/Discovery so you can also pay a separate fee. I also have a choice not to pay for those things. I don't have FOMO, there are SO many things to watch today. If Stern doesn't want me putting my own content on their platform and streaming it because it might break ties to a licensor, then I get it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-s-new-eula?tu=toyotaboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.