A0F9FD09-B99A-4EDB-8E79-02895C691324 (resized).jpeg
C8C1CB80-A592-4DC4-A873-A23AD3E21561 (resized).jpeg
20190919_155504 (resized).jpg
20190919_160719 (resized).jpg
coilstops.jpg
Gold-Dust-WWE (resized).jpg
IMG_2822 (resized).JPG
2018-11-13 16.48.48 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Both coil stops on my Deadpool have already broken. The nub came loose and eventually caused the flipper to start sticking. It has about 1400 plays on it. I've also never seen plungers mushroom so badly, so quickly, so either those are crappy as well, or perhaps the broken coil stop causes them to deteriorate more than expected?

I've also had to replace both on Iron Maiden in under 4000 plays.

Flippers should not need to be rebuilt that quickly.

This is much worse than any of my previous Sterns. I'd guess that GOT and GB got rebuilds around 7000-8000 plays, and their coil stops were still intact (albeit pounded down and in need of replacement). I don't believe I've ever seen this issue on any Bally/Williams I've operated.

I realize this is a pretty easy thing to replace, but it's a pretty crucial part to be wearing out completely in under a month.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Do replacements from Marco etc hold up any better? Or are they all sourced from Stern?

This I don't know. My guess would be that most of them come from the same place, but I really have no evidence for that one way or the other.

I wish I had done a better job keeping notes, because I'm now pretty sure that I've actually replaced the right coil stop on Deadpool TWICE in 1400 plays. That would mean the replacement (which would have come from Marco or PBL) I used was also really poor quality.

#24 5 years ago

There could be something different about Deadpool, but I hadn't made any adjustments. When trying to figure out why a flipper was sticking the other day, I did notice the coils and plungers were extremely hot, even after the game hadn't been played for a few minutes.

I should also say that aside from this, my NIB Sterns have been exceptional. Aside from any initial adjustments (like the battering ram in GOT, or Slimer in GB), games are generally going many thousands of plays without needing anything.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Being devils advocate, often times it is not Stern the manufacturers fault and often the vendor they use has altered their raw metal formula slightly.

Totally possible. It would be hard, if not impossible, for them to receive a new batch and then test many thousands of times before giving the okay.

Quoted from pinmister:

Started to think about it and ever since Ghostbusters it seems like Sterns flippers have been considerably stronger? It may not be the coil stops but the more excessive force that causes failure over a shorter time span?

Not so sure about this. New games always feel stronger to me but I always chalk it up to brand new flippers and a glassy playfield.

#41 5 years ago

There was an alignment issue with the plunger so it wasn’t striking the ball cleanly and plunges would go all over the place. The chip happened right there in the shooter lane, and I blame the alignment. Plunging was very inconsistent and I chose not to do anything about it. My bad. Not that big of a deal.

1 month later
#55 5 years ago

While we're talking about this kind of thing...

Any suggestions for what to do with Stern buttons that stick? Like, you try to flip but the button doesn't depress and then you mash it hard and finally it loosens up and works fine for the next 50-100 flips.

9 months later
#60 4 years ago

Upper right flipper coil stop on my JP needed to be replaced in under two weeks. We're about a week past that, but I could do some math and figure out the flips.

#66 4 years ago

Two of three replaced in JP so far. I moved the spring washer on one but not the other one. Will see if that makes a difference.

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

yes, I played a HEP LOTR that he converted over to WMS assemblies.

The coil stops are different sizes, so you'd have to change out the entire bracket I'd imagine. The distance of flipper travel would almost certainly be changed in the process. Wouldn't it?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 37.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.50
$ 64.99
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinsburg, WV
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-s-coil-stops-are-worthless?tu=ryanwanger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.