Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by pintechev
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

250F554C-302E-4C8E-994A-BF75A463E253 (resized).jpeg
    20171029_214518 (resized).jpg
    MS21059 (resized).JPG
    20171029_162111 (resized).jpg
    20171029_162051 (resized).jpg
    20171029_162119 (resized).jpg
    20171029_162428 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Just trivial but noticed all my new Sterns even straight out of the box have rusty bolts on the headbox hinge and front of the machine.
    Not end of the world stuff but curious anyone else notice this ? I have both pro and premium models with rusty bolts. Our new Aerosmith out of the box had rusty bolts on front and side bolts ?
    Note all our games are in cool air con environment dry etc. Called a buddy in Texas and his are the same ?

20171029_162428 (resized).jpg20171029_162428 (resized).jpg
    20171029_162119 (resized).jpg20171029_162119 (resized).jpg
    20171029_162051 (resized).jpg20171029_162051 (resized).jpg
    20171029_162111 (resized).jpg20171029_162111 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Humidity?

#3 6 years ago

That’s Stern quality for ya....minor but should not be happening NIB. Kind of odd for sure.

#4 6 years ago

I don’t have that issue on any of the 3 NIB Sterns I bought in the past year. Strange that all of yours have this.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from pipes:

I don’t have that issue on any of the 3 NIB Sterns I bought in the past year. Strange that all of yours have this.

It is odd. Are you near the ocean? What other (non-Stern) games do you have?

#6 6 years ago

I believe it. Here is a picture of the leg brackets I took off my GB Premium when I upgraded to the corner brackets...

20171029_214518 (resized).jpg20171029_214518 (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago

It possibly could be that Stern got an order of parts from its hardware supplier that were/are defective from the supplier in that the chemical conversion coating, or zinc plating, or cadmium plating was not performed to specifications.

Three or four years ago, Boeing Aircraft in Seattle received a large batch of nut plates that were not treated properly (supplier error) and started corroding after installation in the airplane. Hundreds, if not thousands of nut plates are riveted all over inside and airplane structure and are used to attach all kinds of parts. And some of them are buried deep inside. Boeing had several planes in the factory that had to have all of the defective nut plates removed and replaced with new nut plates that were proper.

THe best way I could relate this to pinball is if you had to crawl inside your cabinet and replace the back leg bolt brackets without removing your play field.

It was costly for Boeing and the supplier. The supplier was permanently banned from doing business in the future.

For Stern, this would be a cosmetic issue and not a safety issue. My money is on Stern's supplier sending out junk and Stern, and ultimately the retail customer takes the hit.

This is a nut plate.

MS21059 (resized).JPGMS21059 (resized).JPG

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from pipes:

True but it first happened when i purchased Kiss 2 years ago then 6 months later bought Star Trek premium. Then Ghostbusters and Aerosmith both out of the box with bolts rusting.
    I would have assumed they were sprayed black but no paint on them.
    So its been ongoing for a while but my older pin like Williams and Data east have no rust on the headbox bolts only the new Sterns ?
    Again 2 had rust on them out of the box and the other 2 started to go within weeks so it proves there is no coating on them ?
    My pins are in the basement of my shop which is air con 24/7 .....
    Anyone local Tupelo South are more than welcome to say hi

#9 6 years ago

All four of my games have been that way too but it wiped off and has never returned. I thought it was strange also.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

My money is on Stern's supplier sending out junk and Stern, and ultimately the retail customer takes the hit.

My money is on Stern switching to a cheaper Chinese manufacturer to get a deal on bolts.

I just watched a video of stern talking about QC for droptargets they batch test 20% of the order, if 3% is out of spec they refuse the entire order. (Don’t know if I believe that)

I have had GoT Pre since day one. In the bsmt with a dehumidifier running all year. My hindge bolts are shit. The backbox ones look a little better, the front bolts look ok (for now)

250F554C-302E-4C8E-994A-BF75A463E253 (resized).jpeg250F554C-302E-4C8E-994A-BF75A463E253 (resized).jpeg

#11 6 years ago

They're just using the cheapest supplier they can find, like everything else they do these days.

Where things should be stainless steel, galvanised or nickel, they are either not, or very low quality.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

They're just using the cheapest supplier they can find, like anything.
    Where things should be stainless steel, galvanised or nickel, they are either not, or very low quality.

Basically this; but they make sure to increase prices and cut features as much as possible as well.

NIB buying from Stern at this point just makes me shake my head... but I am glad some are taking the plunge to at least get some HOU games for the future...

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

They're just using the cheapest supplier they can find, like anything.

Agreed.

Stern purchased the least expensive part they could find and this is the result.

As an aside, to all of you NIB buyers, when time comes for me to buy an HUO example I will expect that these items will have been replaced or refinished. I take $150 off the final purchase price for each bolt I see with surface rust.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Agreed.
    Stern purchased the least expensive part they could find and this is the result.
    As an aside, to all of you NIB buyers, when time comes for me to buy an HUO example I will expect that these items will have been replaced or refinished. I take $150 off the final purchase price for each bolt I see with surface rust.

And I charge $200 extra to every Stern whiner.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

And I charge $200 extra to every Stern whiner.

I'm hardly whining. I just want them to use materials worthy of a 5K-15K machines.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

I'm hardly whining. I just want them to use materials worthy of a 5K-15K machines.

Want will never equal reality with Stern. They are the king of going cheap wherever possible.

#17 6 years ago

Time for a wire brush and satin spray paint.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

Time for a wire brush and satin spray paint.

Better to just replace it. The rust is blooming out from underneath the coating on many of these parts. It will happen again.

This is really, really cheap steel.

#19 6 years ago

Stern = Alpha Romeo ?

#20 6 years ago

Stern: Putting the "K" in Kuality.

#21 6 years ago

Contact them or your distributor for replacement parts.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-rusty-bolts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.