Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by akm
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

8054153E-A02C-49E6-B864-3A53F43BBD49 (resized).jpeg
45E17536-96EC-4E97-85AA-F861C208A18D (resized).jpeg
91836761-EB3F-4C09-830D-320D7B39580B (resized).jpeg

#1 11 months ago

Just picked up a RS, and it's insane.

It is in very clean HUO condition and I cleaned the and playfield and replaced a flipper transistor before playing. Almost every single shot forehand or backhand to the right ramp will launch either to the side or into the (very low) plastic tongue, and reject.

I turned the coil power to soft and it helped a tiny little bit. Game was very steep but I lowered it a bit, no difference.

Is there a way to raise the Tongue? Doesn't really look like it. Is this just a side-effect of a newly novused playfield and clean game?

Shots were also rejecting from the Charlie shot on the left, the plastic was a little low (I shimmied it higher) and it is getting air off the Mick track I suppose. It's a bit better now but ball still going everywhere and rejecting. Only clean shots on the game now are the orbits and the center ramp.

I don't think I've ever owned a game that was this fast and airball crazy. It reminds me of an F-14 with ski ramp bonus inserts.

Any advice or help appreciated. I've played this game many times (other machines) and it's usually a pretty smooth flowing game, but this is a mess right now.

Ill post some pics tomorrow maybe someone will see something.

#2 11 months ago

Are all the coils more powerful than they should be ? Got me wondering if the game is wired for 100AC and you plugged it into 120AC ?

LTG : )

#3 11 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Are all the coils more powerful than they should be ? Got me wondering if the game is wired for 100AC and you plugged it into 120AC ?

Interesting. That info would be printed on back of the game and at the transformer?

#4 11 months ago

put the high power flipper coils in my lotr a few years back and that is how it played. had to go to med power coils.

#5 11 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That info would be printed on back of the game and at the transformer?

Unless someone changed it.

#6 11 months ago

I believe this was addressed with "Service Bulletin #66".

It recommended standing 30 ft upwind and pointing the flame thrower at the coin door.

Sorry Levi. Just kidding. Kind of.

#7 11 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Unless someone changed it.

This seems extremely unlikely. It’s a HUO machine domestic build.

The tilt Bob wasn’t even installed and the manual was still in the sealed bag.

#8 11 months ago

Stern Rolling Stones is the fastest game I own(especially when powerball is in play). I honestly think Rolling Stones is the fastest game currently out there. I have zero issues with airballs? Great game-I love mine(Mick on a stick ROCKS!). May try and switch out flipper rubbers(may be too high?) I use super bands on all of my pins and I feel they help control the ball better.

#9 11 months ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Stern Rolling Stones is the fastest game I own(especially when powerball is in play). I honestly think Rolling Stones is the fastest game currently out there. I have zero issues with airballs? Great game-I love mine(Mick on a stick ROCKS!). May try and switch out flipper rubbers(may be too high?) I use super bands on all of my pins and I feel they help control the ball better.

I'm a huge fan too - this game gets a bad rep but there do seem to be quite a few of us who really enjoy it.

Mine is fast and furious, rarely get any airballs ... if I do they seem to be from a sling shot. Occasionally it may reject at the Lips ramp.

#10 11 months ago

Ok here’s the wiring and Diagram.

It indeed has a 115 jumper installed. But that’s correct? Or not?

I’d love to dial it back to 110 if it’s incorrect. I’m not really understanding this.

45E17536-96EC-4E97-85AA-F861C208A18D (resized).jpeg8054153E-A02C-49E6-B864-3A53F43BBD49 (resized).jpeg91836761-EB3F-4C09-830D-320D7B39580B (resized).jpeg
#11 11 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It indeed has a 115 jumper installed. But that’s correct? Or not?

What is your wall outlet voltage ? If 115AC that is good. If the wall outlet is 120AC, that is why things are stronger.

#12 11 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

What is your wall outlet voltage ? If 115AC that is good. If the wall outlet is 120AC, that is why things are stronger.

I’ll check it out.

Same place I’ve been for 10 years and my other games aren’t this ridiculous

#13 11 months ago

OK...

so made game steeper. Also shoved some cardboard and a little painters tape under the tongue to raise it.

Did the same thing (well a post rubber) under the plastic above Rock Star/Charlie shot.

Not pretty, but I'm happy to say game is now playable. Actually started Rock Star for first time, and got Encore for the first time ever also.

I'm hoping the game just settles down a bit. It's basically brand new. I certainly won't be novusing the playfield again any time soon.

#14 11 months ago

Airballs are bound to happen once in a while (particularly with the Mick on a stick or the Rockstar standup on the left ramp), but it generally shouldn't be happening on normal ramp shots. Things like the ramps, orbits, records shot and side targets should be pretty smooth on this game.

Interestingly though on my LE, I did notice more airballs than on the Pro I owned previously. I just dealt with it (it wasn't as consistent as it sounds like it is for you), but I did notice the game flipped and felt totally different from the Pro. I'm not sure what it is, but that could be part of it.

#15 11 months ago

I honestly think the issue is that the mick track is a little "off" in that the high lip is a little lower than the lower edge. Might try sanding the high edge a little bit.

#16 11 months ago

I had the same issue with my Roadshow after cleaning. Crazy fast balls flying everywhere and just waiting to shatter plastics. I ended up swapping my flipper coils out for weaker ones. I went one step down and it is perfect now. I would do that first before irreversibly changing (sanding down) the play field.

#17 11 months ago
Quoted from Marten:

I had the same issue with my Roadshow after cleaning. Crazy fast balls flying everywhere and just waiting to shatter plastics. I ended up swapping my flipper coils out for weaker ones. I went one step down and it is perfect now. I would do that first before irreversibly changing (sanding down) the play field.

Yeah I've got some lower power coils on the way and will try that out. The game is settling down a bit as I play it more.

#18 11 months ago

A game I really miss, very underrated, and hard as hell.
It’s anything but “just shooting the middle ramp” the shots are spread out and it’s a lot fun. Sounds like you cleaned it too good, which can really send balls flying until it gets a little worn down.

#19 11 months ago

Yes I agree this game is much better than advertised. I don't know who did the main rules but you can tell that there is a bit of a Lyman touch; the modes are well thought out and fun to pursue, and the stackability keeps things interesting. Really enjoying the game.

#20 11 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes I agree this game is much better than advertised. I don't know who did the main rules but you can tell that there is a bit of a Lyman touch; the modes are well thought out and fun to pursue, and the stackability keeps things interesting. Really enjoying the game.

Yep - its fast, furious fun with a decent ruleset. Challenging modes and the Multiballs have some nice rules to work thru. Unfortunately when it came out most people took one look at Mick on his Stick, the stripped back playfield and decided they weren't gonna get no satisfaction Proves very popular with visitors.

#21 11 months ago
Quoted from Ive:

Yep - its fast, furious fun with a decent ruleset. Challenging modes and the Multiballs have some nice rules to work thru. Unfortunately when it came out most people took one look at Mick on his Stick, the stripped back playfield and decided they weren't gonna get no satisfaction Proves very popular with visitors.

People never get tired of complaining.

It's a great looking game. Doesn't look cheap to me. The molded 3D tongue is a nice touch.

#22 11 months ago

Software Lonnie and Lyman.

#23 11 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People never get tired of complaining.
It's a great looking game. Doesn't look cheap to me. The molded 3D tongue is a nice touch.

Agree - they missed a trick not having the tongue interact with the ball in some way though, moving up/down or whatever. Oh well. It's very interesting reading the design process for the game in Pinball Journal #146 . It changed a lot ! from the initial ideas.

#24 11 months ago
Quoted from Ive:

Agree - they missed a trick not having the tongue interact with the ball in some way though, moving up/down or whatever. Oh well. It's very interesting reading the design process for the game in Pinball Journal #146 . It changed a lot ! from the initial ideas.

Lol it interacts plenty with the ball on mine!

Aiiirrball!

#25 11 months ago

The stackability on this game is one of my favorite aspects of it, and what's nice is it's all relatively easy stuff to do--you're not spending ages getting it all set up. For instance, start records, then start licks, then start multiball. Or if you want to get fancier, get a Super Combo ready on the center ramp and have that going on top of the others during the multiball. It's fun stuff. I suppose my only disappointment is not being able to stack multiballs. The wizard mode (Encore Multiball) is extremely tough to get to because you can't stack Album with Rockstar (unlike say, Avatar or Iron Man, where their two main multiballs can be stacked, making completion much easier).

I always assumed Lyman worked on the game a bit as some rules are similar to what he's done on previous games. For instance, a five way combo to start Super Combos, or the Records mini wizard mode basically being Total Annihilation from AFM, and Rockstar Multiball being War Machine from Iron Man.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Kingston, NY
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
$ 69.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Funhouse Custom Lamp Out of stock
Professor Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 89.00
Cabinet Parts
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside