(Topic ID: 166917)

Stern: relocation of power button like it or not? (edited).

By Nevus

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 100 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“How do you feel about the relocated power button on Stern's new games?”

• It doesn't bother me. 52 votes
    23%
  • I don't like it, but it won't affect my buying of Stern games. 110 votes
    49%
  • If all other things were equal, it might affect my choice of games to purchase. 24 votes
    11%
  • I won't buy a game with the relocated button. 13 votes
    6%
  • Lionman! 15 votes
    7%
  • Get to the Choppa!!! 12 votes
    5%

(226 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0493 (resized).JPG
DSC00084 (resized).JPG
IMG_0219[1] (resized).JPG
images (resized).jpg
th (resized).jpg
20160822_072658 (resized).jpg
324179c49eab84a2c1b6f4bf2795134418b928b1.png (resized).jpg
20160813_181329 (resized).jpg
20160813_184457 (resized).jpg
download_(resized).jpg

There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Why cant you just lean forward and turn it on...like this.. both feet firmly on ground, lean forward, turn it on and play...

Because when I do that, the shooter rod hurts my pecker.

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Tell the truth. You just wanted to flex for the camera.

Is that flexing?
I just wanted to show off my bad 90's tribal band tattoo....what tribe did I belong to again??

#53 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Is that flexing?

Compared to me, everybody looks like they're flexing.

#54 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Why cant you just lean forward and turn it on...like this.. both feet firmly on ground, lean forward, turn it on and play...

My wife is 5'2 and can turn on a spike game no problem

Pics or it didn't happen.

#55 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Surprised no one has made a mod for this yet.

Way ahead of you LTG.

th (resized).jpg

#56 2 years ago

duplicate

#57 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Is that flexing?
I just wanted to show off my bad 90's tribal band tattoo....what tribe did I belong to again??

I'm getting my tattoo removed.

images (resized).jpg

#58 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Because I don't want to have to remember if the buttons on my pants that day are metallic. I don't want my belt buckle to scratch the front of my 4-8000 dollar machine. If I am standing there in gym shorts, no worries. I don't spend all day in gym shorts though.

If it is my player's grade street fighter 2? Who cares. It already has *character*

#59 2 years ago

Duplicate post.

#60 2 years ago

All my games are powered on with one flick of a switch on a power strip. Doesn't matter to me if they relocate the power switch to behind the backglass because I'll never touch it.

#61 2 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Because I don't want to have to remember if the buttons on my pants that day are metallic. I don't want my belt buckle to scratch the front of my 4-8000 dollar machine. If I am standing there in gym shorts, no worries. I don't spend all day in gym shorts though.
If it is my player's grade street fighter 2? Who cares. It already has *character*

It just seems as though a mountain is being made out of a molehill. Im pretty confident you can turn on a game without damaging the front of it with a button or buckle. Do you or people who play your machines take off any rings before damage near flipper buttons occur?
There is plenty of other issues to complain about other than a button you have to press once when you start and once when you finish. Or as others have said use a power strip, remote , or an outlet wired to a switch.

#62 2 years ago

So...why no option in the poll to say you like the new location?

Seems bias.....

#63 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I didn't know B/W games had decals.</blockquote

Not all. MB and CC did when the company that did the screen printing was on strike.

LTG : )

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

So...why no option in the poll to say you like the new location?
Seems bias.....

Why isn't there one that says did Santa press your buttons? Because they don't exists.

#65 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Why isn't there one that says did Santa press your buttons? Because they don't exists.

My question is relevant.

#66 2 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Which current pinball manufacturers use direct print cabinets instead of decals? Honest question.

None that I know of, why?

My point was at one time Data East/Sega/Stern had some good looking direct printed cabinet art but they went to a dithering, low resolution print sometime in the early 2000s. I know my 2003 CGC Vacation America has pretty terrible resolution cab direct print which is similar to TSPP as well. So to say decals were an improvement over low resolution direct print is true but at some point they were making higher resolution direct print and decided to cut cost.

I'm curious if there was ever something Stern changed in the structure of the game after 2000 that was to make it work better and not to cut costs. I mentioned Spike might be the only thing but then I forgot that Vacation America had a one board system first.

Maybe LEDs? Someone can correct me if Jersey Jack had LEDs before Stern. Maybe official mods? Again there's a chance Jersey Jack had them first.

#67 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

My point was at one time Data East/Sega/Stern had some good looking direct printed cabinet art but they went to a dithering, low resolution print sometime in the early 2000s. I know my 2003 CGC Vacation America has pretty terrible resolution cab direct print which is similar to TSPP as well. So to say decals were an improvement over low resolution direct print is true but at some point they were making higher resolution direct print and decided to cut cost.
I'm curious if there was ever something Stern changed in the structure of the game after 2000 that was to make it work better and not to cut costs. I mentioned Spike might be the only thing but then I forgot that Vacation America had a one board system first.
Maybe LEDs? Someone can correct me if Jersey Jack had LEDs before Stern. Maybe official mods? Again there's a chance Jersey Jack had them first.

Color changing LEDs started on AC/DC, long before WOZ shipped.

SAM debuted in 2006, allowing for USB updates.

#68 2 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

Color changing LEDs started on AC/DC, long before WOZ shipped.
SAM debuted in 2006, allowing for USB updates.

Thanks. Those are good ones.

#69 2 years ago

All LEDs (regardless of the color-changers, which Stern uses somewhat sparingly) were a gradual rollout. I think they started on some LE and Premiums, while the Pro still had incandescent bulbs. I think by 2013 they were all LED across all models.

#70 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Are you Kramer's brother Cosmo?

What a thread, Boobie likes the button in the back so he can rub his nuts all over the shooter rod.

#71 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Boobie likes the button in the back so he can rub his nuts all over the shooter rod.

Takes me back to my old prison days.

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, back then I was turned around the other way. So never mind.

#72 2 years ago

Any poll where 5% choose "Get to the Choppa!!!" can't be taken too seriously.

#73 2 years ago

home setting vs location setting big difference.
height doesnt matter, REACH does.
i have to go in between games to reach the new button. and, if you lean forward from the front, you will rub the belt buckle or buttons from khaki shorts as one person stated. i did that once long ago and it wasn't pretty going in between games for something on location.

1) the issue on location, if games are close (besides scratching the game), you have to go in between games, and if someone is playing the game next to you, you rub "things" on their hands.
2) if on location, and there is an instant issue where the game needs be shut off, and you are working from the front, you cant shut off quick enough. sometimes i hold up pf with one hand and have other hand ready on power switch if im trying to find a bad issue and need shut off game quick. This also is an issue if you are kneeling up front or sitting in a chair working through the coin door on something. its like, repair something, have to get up, go between game, turn on to check out, then turn off, go back in front of coin door, etc. remember, thew new sterns (from GOT to current) do not have power interlock switches, so all voltages are on at all times, even when coin door is opened.
3) on location, if someone is playing and a problem comes up and a customer wants to shut off game, they dont know where the new switch is. this has happened a bunch to me. and u cant unplug unless you crawl under games and get to the back....which a customer isnt gonna do.

#74 2 years ago

It's like asking, are you annoyed that your new car doesn't have a keyless entry. Serious problems.

#75 2 years ago
Quoted from Bearcat:

It's like asking, are you annoyed that your new car doesn't have a keyless entry. Serious problems.

On a forum where people collect pinball machines in their homes. When we chastise each other, it always looks silly from the outside. It's all relative to how far outside the circle you are sitting.

#76 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Nice Dig Dug... That was the first game of any type (commercial) I ever bought. Traded it for a Mrs Pacman caberet.

#77 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I'm curious if there was ever something Stern changed in the structure of the game after 2000 that was to make it work better and not to cut costs.

Maybe, just taking a stab here ... Stern needed to find ways to cut costs to keep the lights on. Would you have rather them find ways to cut costs, or close up shop?

And, as noted, there are a few items they have changed in the structure of the game to make things work better and save money at the same time.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

I would think there is a reason no manufacturers use direct print on the cabinets.

#78 2 years ago

That was a good move by Stern...but then they switched to making plastic stand offs versus metal.

#79 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That was a good move by Stern...but then they switched to making plastic stand offs versus metal.

And? Do they perform differently?

#80 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

you should have posted a picture of her turning on the game if you were thinking straight

#81 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

It just seems as though a mountain is being made out of a molehill. Im pretty confident you can turn on a game without damaging the front of it with a button or buckle. Do you or people who play your machines take off any rings before damage near flipper buttons occur?
There is plenty of other issues to complain about other than a button you have to press once when you start and once when you finish. Or as others have said use a power strip, remote , or an outlet wired to a switch.

It seems like you hold one opinion and fail to see anything else. Your *solution* is a picture of you leaning over your machine. You are very clearly pressing against it. So, belt buckles and buttons are very likely to scratch the cabinet. If you don't care more power to you. That doesn't change the fact that every time you turn the machine on with that idiotic switch placement you risk damaging a machine. When these games were sold purely as route machines, ops wouldn't care. When you buy an 8k+ collector piece designed to sit in your home things change.

#82 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I know it was tough for Stern at the time of their name change and up until recently but I wonder when or if they will start trying to be an innovator in their tech and build. They may just be content with letting others provide the new ideas but I'm curious if that will hurt them in the long run.

Quoted from smokedog:

Maybe, just taking a stab here ... Stern needed to find ways to cut costs to keep the lights on. Would you have rather them find ways to cut costs, or close up shop?

I noted their situation earlier in this thread so I understand their lack of innovation for much of the 2000s. They can't keep using that excuse though because pinball has become more popular and they have more competition. It will take some years before other companies will be able to compete on equal footing but if Stern rests on the fact that they are the biggest manufacturer today, they may become like the Gottlieb of yesterday and see others pass them by.

#83 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I noted their situation earlier in this thread so I understand their lack of innovation for much of the 2000s. They can't keep using that excuse though because pinball has become more popular and they have more competition.

But are they? You said yourself that Spike seems to be pretty advanced. LCD we know is coming. They still employ some of the best in the business. Spike has networking capabilities that currently go unused. They are the only company able to provide pins in the $5K range, making it profitable for OPS to route pins.

It seems to me that they don't appear to be resting on their laurels at all.

#84 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I noted their situation earlier in this thread so I understand their lack of innovation for much of the 2000s. They can't keep using that excuse though because pinball has become more popular and they have more competition. It will take some years before other companies will be able to compete on equal footing but if Stern rests on the fact that they are the biggest manufacturer today, they may become like the Gottlieb of yesterday and see others pass them by.

I think Spike is a huge innovation.

#85 2 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Much more than most people realize.

#86 2 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Can someone elaborate? Haven't they already had to do an update so they can run a color display?

#87 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

you should have posted a picture of her turning on the game if you were thinking straight

It was hard enough to talk her into taking the picture of me...

Quoted from dung:

It seems like you hold one opinion and fail to see anything else. Your *solution* is a picture of you leaning over your machine. You are very clearly pressing against it. So, belt buckles and buttons are very likely to scratch the cabinet. If you don't care more power to you. That doesn't change the fact that every time you turn the machine on with that idiotic switch placement you risk damaging a machine. When these games were sold purely as route machines, ops wouldn't care. When you buy an 8k+ collector piece designed to sit in your home things change.

You are right, there are good arguements for both sides. It really doesnt matter to me but I can see where others would have some problem with it.

#88 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Can someone elaborate? Haven't they already had to do an update so they can run a color display?

#89 2 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

» YouTube video

Very interesting. Thanks.

How does Spike compare to JJP's system? JJP is pretty much running a PC right?

How does Spike compare to CGC's system?

I have a Vacation America. It's a pretty simple game but how does the board for it compare to MMr's? Is MMr's an iteration of Vacation America's system? Here's a pic.
IMG_0219[1] (resized).JPG

#90 2 years ago

Facinating video. Of course they didn't really get rid of the I/O board, they just modularized it and scattered pieces of it under the playfield.

I think it makes sense, hopefully those smaller i/o boards are still field servicable and not dispose and replace. Seems very similar to some other pinball technologies out there as well. Cool stuff.

#91 2 years ago

Stern did away with the matrix system (which goes back to the 70's) and replaced it with a bus system.

From the man himself....

#92 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

How does Spike compare to CGC's system?

CGC's.

DSC00084 (resized).JPG

#93 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

How does Spike compare to JJP's system?

IMG_0493 (resized).JPG

#94 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

CGC's.

Definitely looks like improved tech from my VA.

I guess CGC's is also a little higher tech than Spike because it can run a color display. Does it use a transformer? I noticed Spike doesn't.

Thanks for the info.

#95 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Definitely looks like improved tech from my VA.
I guess CGC's is also a little higher tech than Spike because it can run a color display.
Thanks for the info.

I assume SPIKE 1.0 can run a color display...but maybe not in the capacity Stern wants to use. Hence SPIKE 2.0 soon. Again, I assume the changes will not be significant.

#96 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Does it use a transformer?

Transformer in the lower rear, switching power supply and power supply board up front.

#97 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

How does Spike compare to JJP's system? JJP is pretty much running a PC right

Yes, JJP's system uses a PC as the central controller vs spike using a proprietary central controller. To me the more interesting difference is Spikes modularized driver boards which seems like a similar concept as the P-ROC system from multimorphic. JJP's system has a more traditional centralized primary driver board, although their lighting is modularized.

#98 2 years ago

I'm getting the remote control power option.

Turn em all on with the push of a button. Love it!

#99 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm getting the remote control power option.
Turn em all on with the push of a button. Love it!

Me too.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods
$ 16.00
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Woodcliff Lake, NJ
€ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Independence, KY
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 169.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Atlanta, GA
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, IL
There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside