(Topic ID: 166917)

Stern: relocation of power button like it or not? (edited).

By Nevus

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 100 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“How do you feel about the relocated power button on Stern's new games?”

• It doesn't bother me. 53 votes
    23%
  • I don't like it, but it won't affect my buying of Stern games. 116 votes
    50%
  • If all other things were equal, it might affect my choice of games to purchase. 24 votes
    10%
  • I won't buy a game with the relocated button. 14 votes
    6%
  • Lionman! 15 votes
    6%
  • Get to the Choppa!!! 12 votes
    5%

(234 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0493 (resized).JPG
DSC00084 (resized).JPG
IMG_0219[1] (resized).JPG
images (resized).jpg
th (resized).jpg
20160822_072658 (resized).jpg
324179c49eab84a2c1b6f4bf2795134418b928b1.png (resized).jpg
20160813_181329 (resized).jpg
20160813_184457 (resized).jpg
download_(resized).jpg
There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

I'm late to this party, but wanted to share my thoughts.

I've been fortunate enough to borrow a friends GOT Pro and I've had it in the game room for about a month now. It's the only game in my line up with the power button in the head. I have to say, I hate it! I really don't mind some of the modern cost savings. The latch bars are fine, for example. I'm sure the operators could care less, but it's really lame for my home arcade. I've seen the work around suggestions. Couldn't this be an optional purchase with easy fix? Poll added to see how others feel.

#2 7 years ago

Might not have been cost savings. Easier to get UL Approval where it is.

Surprised no one has made a mod for this yet.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

To me I have no problem with it at all on my GB Pro. With the transformer in the cab with other games it only makes sense to put the switch under the game close to it, same goes for the new Spike games which is close to the power source. I see no sense running the switch all the way down to under the cab. Get over it people.

#4 7 years ago

It is not "only" a cost saving. It also cuts down on EMI/RFI and that is a very important design consideration.

We have had to go to extreme lengths to get our new machine to comply with EU regulations relating to electromagnetic interference and by putting the switch right next to the switching supply in the headbox I suspect Stern has avoided a lot of these compliance issues and thus costs.

Just my $0.02 from a design point of view - I am certainly not suggesting that it should be done but offering a reason why it might have been done?

#5 7 years ago

I don't own a game with the switch in the head but I could see where it would be annoying for operators or home owners. Don't know what to do about it though. It makes sense from a cost standpoint for Stern so I don't think they will change it. Can anybody name anything that Stern has done to the structure of a pin that improved the quality or function? Maybe the Spike system?

I'm not a person that likes to sing the praises of 90s pins but those did feel like they were improving on the tech. Maybe Stern hasn't had the chance to improve the functionality of a pin till this recent upswing in interest.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Might not have been cost savings. Easier to get UL Approval where it is.

Yup, close to the power source.

#7 7 years ago

Now you have gone and made it seem practical with facts and good reasons for the design. I totally see that. I still don't care for the inconvenience.

#8 7 years ago

I still hate it. All of my games have the button in the exact same location... Except SPIKE games. I did some work on games today, and those freaking oddballs stand out like a sore thumb. I still reach down where a pinball on/off switch is supposed to be. The new location is a crap spot for a power switch. Every time I stick my hand under there and feel no switch, I'm annoyed. Working on a line of games makes it more annoying.

#9 7 years ago

Lame and petty dude

#10 7 years ago

Other than reaching down and trying to power off a spike game in the normal location, my only issue with it is the service outlet is now in the head which is not a convenient location to plug something in while working on the game.

#11 7 years ago

Pinball 2000 machines had a weird switch location as well.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I still reach down where a pinball on/off switch is supposed to be.

Oh your kidding, did ya remember where your car keys were today. I did it twice when I first got my game 3 months ago and haven't done it since...and I only have one Spike game, the other 13 are under the cab.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Now you have gone and made it seem practical with facts and good reasons for the design. I totally see that. I still don't care for the inconvenience.

Get with the times man.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

Other than reaching down and trying to power off a spike game in the normal location, my only issue with it is the service outlet is now in the head which is not a convenient location to plug something in while working on the game.

I hear ya there. I ran a 6ft extension cord with 3 outlets to solve that.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Now THAT one is a pain.

#16 7 years ago

If I could vote twice it would be it doesn't bother me and Lionman!!!!

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Can anybody name anything that Stern has done to the structure of a pin that improved the quality or function?

download_(resized).jpgdownload_(resized).jpg

#18 7 years ago

I read one operator was frustrated with new power switch location. When having several machines in a row....its difficult to shut them off.....and some of the staff never shut his machines off....cause they didnt know where the power button was

#19 7 years ago

Would it be that hard to run a wire and drill a hole in the bottom to relocate it? Of I ever get a new game again, I would be willing to do it. A hole where nobody would see it wouldn't bother me.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Would it be that hard to run a wire and drill a hole in the bottom to relocate it? Of I ever get a new game again, I would be willing to do it. A hole where nobody would see it wouldn't bother me.

This has been covered before on Pinside. Someone posted pics and how to do it.

LTG : )

#21 7 years ago

I have 4 of my machines against a wall. If they were the new style I would only be able to reach one. My only other option would be to use a large power strip and shut them all down at once. Frankly, the new setup was poorly designed. If it was for ul approval they saved some time, but at the cost of usability for the end user.

*Note* this would not be an issue for 1 machine on the end or 1 standing by itself, but most places have a bank of machines. Rarely do i encounter 1.

#22 7 years ago

The only advantage I see is that the kids can't reach it.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

It is not "only" a cost saving. It also cuts down on EMI/RFI and that is a very important design consideration.
We have had to go to extreme lengths to get our new machine to comply with EU regulations relating to electromagnetic interference and by putting the switch right next to the switching supply in the headbox I suspect Stern has avoided a lot of these compliance issues and thus costs.
Just my $0.02 from a design point of view - I am certainly not suggesting that it should be done but offering a reason why it might have been done?

Seems odd that they couldn't ( on all new machines, for that matter) use LV switching to turn these things on and off. EMI/RFI would obviously be a nonissue ( at least from the switch assembly), and can't imagine the cost being that much more.

I work w hi end, expensive electronics everyday, and can't think of any other device that uses " passive" inline switching like pb machines. Low voltage switching has many advantages ( end user safety probably the biggest) and these machines are expensive ( soft starting to avoid inrush would certainly prolong life of certain components). The switch then could be easily put wherever engineering wanted it....I've always wondered about this...

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Seems odd that they couldn't ( on all new machines, for that matter) use LV switching to turn these things on and off. EMI/RFI would obviously be a nonissue ( at least from the switch assembly), and can't imagine the cost being that much more.
I work w hi end, expensive electronics everyday, and can't think of any other device that uses " passive" inline switching like pb machines. Low voltage switching has many advantages ( end user safety probably the biggest) and these machines are expensive ( soft starting to avoid inrush would certainly prolong life of certain components). The switch then could be easily put wherever engineering wanted it....I've always wondered about this...

LV switching doesn't remove the mains from the circuitry and this is a mandated requirement for some countries.

It would also add cost to the design of the power supply.

If they went this route then an additional power (mains) switch would still be required to remove the mains from all components in order for the appliance to comply in some countries.

I'm a great believer in the KISS principle and I dislike the "remote" power switching option personally but others seems to think it's OK. Just my preference for keeping designs as simple as possible.

None of us are ever likely to know the "real" reason/s behind Sterns decision.

#25 7 years ago

I don't like it but ultimately who gives a shit.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

LV switching doesn't remove the mains from the circuitry and this is a mandated requirement for some countries.
It would also add cost to the design of the power supply.
If they went this route then an additional power (mains) switch would still be required to remove the mains from all components in order for the appliance to comply in some countries.
I'm a great believer in the KISS principle and I dislike the "remote" power switching option personally but others seems to think it's OK. Just my preference for keeping designs as simple as possible.
None of us are ever likely to know the "real" reason/s behind Sterns decision.

LV switching can certainly remove the main power from the circuitry completely. Can't think of a single computer, video monitor, or audio power amplifier ( things that come immediately to mind) that don't use LV switching, and are world wide compliant. What am I missing in regards to a pinball machine?

I don't like the relocation of line level power ( suspect it would be considered a hazard), hence the LV approach....

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't like it but ultimately who gives a shit.

Suspect you are right, actually...

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from dung:

I have 4 of my machines against a wall. If they were the new style I would only be able to reach one. My only other option would be to use a large power strip and shut them all down at once. Frankly, the new setup was poorly designed. If it was for ul approval they saved some time, but at the cost of usability for the end user.
*Note* this would not be an issue for 1 machine on the end or 1 standing by itself, but most places have a bank of machines. Rarely do i encounter 1.

? I'm not sure what you mean. You can turn them on/off from standing in front of the machine. I have no issues, and neither do the waitresses at my location. One of the servers is 5'2", and she has no issue.

I see it as a non-issue.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

LV switching can certainly remove the main power from the circuitry completely. Can't think of a single computer, video monitor, or audio power amplifier ( things that come immediately to mind) that don't use LV switching, and are world wide compliant. What am I missing in regards to a pinball machine?
I don't like the relocation of line level power ( suspect it would be considered a hazard), hence the LV approach....

LV does not remove the mains from all components. Your supply is still active in some way even if it is to provide 3V3/5V so the supply is able to start. This is the main area of compliance problems for this style of supply.

Try getting compliance worldwide on pinball machines that you might make several thousand a year VS PC supplies where you will make millions per year.

That is where the difference is.

Compliance cost is the same for both items, I know because I am in the middle of doing it.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

? I'm not sure what you mean. You can turn them on/off from standing in front of the machine. I have no issues, and neither do the waitresses at my location. One of the servers is 5'2", and she has no issue.
I see it as a non-issue.

I am 6ft and have a 32 inch waist. I cannot reach the power switch location on three of my current machines. I would have to pull them out to get to it which is what I do when I have to get into the backbox or work on the pf.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from dung:

I am 6ft and have a 32 inch waist. I cannot reach the power switch location on three of my current machines. I would have to pull them out to get to it which is what I do when I have to get into the backbox or work on the pf.

I'm having trouble picturing your set up.

If you can stand in front of your game to play it, you could reach the on/off switch easily on a Spike game. You just have to lean forward.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Try getting compliance worldwide on pinball machines that you might make several thousand a year VS PC supplies where you will make millions per year.
That is where the difference is

This part I agree with...

#33 7 years ago

Wasn't that a product of them going to decals versus direct printing cabs? Isn't that an improvement related to a downgrade?

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Wasn't that a product of them going to decals versus direct printing cabs? Isn't that an improvement related to a downgrade?

That would depend on your point of view of Sterns direct print. I like the look of the decals in comparison to the dithering of the direct print.

Imagine how many Monster Bash's wouldn't have had crumpled decals at the legs if W/B had come up with it.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Depends on the collector. I agree they are a downgrade and prefer screened cabs even if the resolution is not as good, however know I am in the minority since everyone else seems to prefer giant stickers all over their machines because of the higher resolution.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

That would depend on your point of view of Sterns direct print. I like the look of the decals in comparison to the dithering of the direct print.
Imagine how many Monster Bash's wouldn't have had crumpled decals at the legs if W/B had come up with it.

I didn't know B/W games had decals. Thanks for the info.

After hearing about the resolution of Sterns direct print, I went and looked at my Data East Hook cab. No dithering there. It's a great looking cabinet. So again it seems the decals are an improvement on a downgrade from cabinet resolution. I know it was tough for Stern at the time of their name change and up until recently but I wonder when or if they will start trying to be an innovator in their tech and build. They may just be content with letting others provide the new ideas but I'm curious if that will hurt them in the long run.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

About two years ago I finally got around to moving that switch so it was in the same spot like all other games. Worked out perfectly and no more reaching way in the back anymore.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
269-979-3836

#38 7 years ago

It Deanna bother me. I, tall enough to reach the switch in the new spot, even when the games are right near each other....

#39 7 years ago

I don't like it! Having Spike machines in a close lineup makes the power switch impossible to reach for my eight-year-old son. I was forced to come up with a solution for this issue. I started with a simple switched power strip on the floor that my son could reach, but it was always in the way of your feet. It also confused knowledgeable Spike owners wondering why the switch in the head doesn't work.

Here's my solution for Spike machines. It's an external switch box and pigtail cable I made that mounts to the shaker motor t-nuts and requires no modification of the cabinet. It just connects between the machine and original power cord and you simply keep the head switch on all the time and use this switch box instead.

20160813_184457 (resized).jpg20160813_184457 (resized).jpg

20160813_181329 (resized).jpg20160813_181329 (resized).jpg

#40 7 years ago

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DQELHBS/ref=pd_aw_fbt_60_img_2

I use a remote control power source. One button on my bar and all the games power on at the same time.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from Tekman:

Here's my solution for Spike machines. It's an external switch box and pigtail cable I made that mounts to the shaker motor t-nuts and requires no modification of the cabinet. It just connects between the machine and original power cord and you simply keep the head switch on all the time and use this switch box instead.

Quoted from Mudflaps:

amazon.com link »
I use a remote control power source. One button on my bar and all the games power on at the same time.

Both good ideas.

#42 7 years ago

Here's another - I relocated to the un-used tournament button knockout. Works great, so easy to use, especially for my short wife!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/relocating-the-pwr-switch-on-spike-system-like-got#post-3005295

324179c49eab84a2c1b6f4bf2795134418b928b1.png (resized).jpg324179c49eab84a2c1b6f4bf2795134418b928b1.png (resized).jpg

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

Here's another - I relocated to the un-used tournament button knockout. Works great, so easy to use, especially for my short wife!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/relocating-the-pwr-switch-on-spike-system-like-got#post-3005295

That's nice. Do you give her a milk crate to stand on as well?

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

That's nice. Do you give her a milk crate to stand on as well?

Boob stands on a box o' dicks

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

amazon.com link »

I use a wireless remote. It has 3 buttons. I think I bought it at Home Depot. It is super essy now...walk in, push remote buttons and play pinball!

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Boob stands on a box o' dicks

That's where I lived back in my prison days.

#47 7 years ago

I've only owned two pins and never two at a time. I have absolutely no problem with the power switch in my GOTPre being in the head. Actually, I did have one problem--when I got the thing I had absolutely no idea where the switch was--kept looking around under and behind the thing for hours. Absolutely no documentation in the paperwork, either. Ended up having to post a Q here to get the answer!

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

After hearing about the resolution of Sterns direct print, I went and looked at my Data East Hook cab. No dithering there. It's a great looking cabinet. So again it seems the decals are an improvement on a downgrade from cabinet resolution. I know it was tough for Stern at the time of their name change and up until recently but I wonder when or if they will start trying to be an innovator in their tech and build. They may just be content with letting others provide the new ideas but I'm curious if that will hurt them in the long run.

Which current pinball manufacturers use direct print cabinets instead of decals? Honest question.

#49 7 years ago

Why cant you just lean forward and turn it on...like this.. both feet firmly on ground, lean forward, turn it on and play...

20160822_072658 (resized).jpg20160822_072658 (resized).jpg
My wife is 5'2 and can turn on a spike game no problem

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Why cant you just lean forward and turn it on...like this.. both feet firmly on ground, lean forward, turn it on and play...

Tell the truth. You just wanted to flex for the camera.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 49.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 103.00
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shorewood, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-relocation-of-power-button-for-cost-savings and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.