You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

deeravenger.jpg
126848.jpg
BigBuckPinballFinal.jpg
BigBuckPlayfieldFinal.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#46 14 years ago

I've played BBH quite a bit. I like the game overall, but I do have some complaints.

Factory default on the buck sensitivity is 'hard', and I think that's not good. Every op I've run into, I recommend they change it to Medium. It is such a risky shot, and you have to hit it at least five times (on normal settings) that the game is VERY drainy. I have hit the buck with many direct shots which didn't register, only to have the ball drain after.

The orbits should stop the ball with the post more, to send them in the bumpers. Or there should be a way to activate the post which isn't too hard to do it.

The bumpers are spaced in such a way that you won't get many random up-rolls through the rollover lanes for bonus multiplier. It's not too hard to get enough bumper hits, though, to activate the bonus modes. With some wear, however, I think the bonus modes will be too hard to get to be worthwhile.

There are basically no safe shots from the left flipper. Maybe the right orbit, but unless a bonus mode is lit, it's not worth it. You can post transfer to the other flipper, and from what I've seen that seems to be the only good option.

It is not as unforgiving a game as say BSD, but in BSD, if you master the shots you can do quite well. That's not the case with BBH. It is very drainy. I can easily go through $10 in an hour on the game.

A pretty good game with potential, but I think the rules/software need a little more work. I much prefer Shrek, Simpsons or CSI overall.

#48 14 years ago

drbond, I like your analogy. Yeah, with the factory lightning flippers, BSD really punishes "random" players. In fact I would go so far to say that unless a person can drop catch and bounce pass consistently they shouldn't even play it.

The difference with BBH is even if you have a lot of the expert skills in your pinball playing toolkit, they are of much less value on BBH.

What cracks me up the most is even if you hit a shot, there's a decent chance the ball will drain after. You get punished for making shots!

Hit the buck > ball goes wild > potential side or middle drain.

Hit the bird > ball is "captured" and released > SDTM around 20% of the time.

Hit the Ram > ball is rammed > SDTM around 20% of the time.

When you consider that both ram and bird shots require multiple hits to activate modes, you can expect to lose at least one ball trying to activate them. On a game with liberal tilt, you can often save these situations, but if the tilt is sensitive, forget it.

These are all things that "flailers" won't notice much, but are glaring and irritating to "control" players. Flailers will likely focus on the ramp and hitting the buck when it appears.

The buck is a really great toy, and very fun to shoot. I like it a lot. I just think the risk/reward equations in the game need some tweaking.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
South Berwick, ME
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Gov's Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-releases-big-buck-hunter?tu=jonnyo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.