Topic Stats

• 81 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jrrdw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMGA0096.JPG

There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago

Things that aren't going to happen:

An Iron Man Premium or LE
A Tron Premium
XMEN Premium
ANY PREMIUM version of a game that wasn't announced when the game originally came out.

Things that probably will happen:

Tron 'The-Pin'

#52 6 years ago

To me, the biggest difference between the pro and the LE, other than the illuminated ramps, is the fact that you can earn an extra ball by shooting the ramps.

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

Things that aren't going to happen:
An Iron Man Premium or LE
A Tron Premium
XMEN Premium
ANY PREMIUM version of a game that wasn't announced when the game originally came out.
Things that probably will happen:
Tron 'The-Pin'

I really think Iron Man LE has a shot at happening. I think Stern sees what they are going for on the second hand market and will do a run of cosmesticly inhanced LE's. My prediction. I agree with everything else you say.

#54 6 years ago

It's NOT going to happen.

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I really think Iron Man LE has a shot at happening. I think Stern sees what they are going for on the second hand market and will do a run of cosmesticly inhanced LE's. My prediction. I agree with everything else you say.

Stern would probably like to but going to have real problems with the licensee. IM 3 hits the screen this year so not good marketing to produce an older version. They will have to almost make a new game - similar but different.

#56 6 years ago

I have the TRON Pro now--yes. The main difference for me is that I can actually bank the ball off the stand ups to hit the Gem shot more easily.

#57 6 years ago

I would love to see a tron premium and from a business perspective it seems that stern is leaving money on the table by not running it

Put on the lighted ramps, the le code, maybe the moving recognizer (don't really care either way), metal apron, and metal hardware maybe with some powder coat. As all the programing is done this bom can't be that much more than the pro and they would sell for 1 to 1.5k more than the pro?

From a numbers view this game should be made. Is stern really that concerned that it will piss off the le and pro owners at this point and hurt future sales? This has to be the reason the game does not get built.

But with all the mods for the game, and the lighted ramp mod looking good, you can almost make a premium edition

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

Stern will never say so, but you know they're kicking their own asses for not coming up with the "Premium" thing before AC/DC. Tron Premium probably would have been their best selling pin since POTC.

I don't remeber a lot being said about Tron when it was released. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the 400 LEs sat at distributors or even Stern for months. I remember at Expo 2011...no one was talking about or cared about Tron. Then all of a sudden, Tron was cool! Everyone started to scramble to get them (especially the LEs).

I don't know what changed to make it a cool game. I don't remember many complaints about Tron early on. I don't remember hearing about any big code updates coming out that made it so much better than before. The only hardware issue I heard about it was the LED lights in the LE, lighting when they shouldn't because Stern is to cheap to spend and extra $4 on a shielded wire. That was easily fixed by moving some wires away from each other. I remember most people saying they thought the LE looked great with the lit ramps, but....meh...it's OK.

I have never heard any theories as to why it took so long for Tron to be considered a top notch game. I would really like to see it happen again with X-Men (for obvious reasons)....though that would be easily explained with it's code having ranged from not good - terrible and the hardware (I'm looking at you Wolverine) having some issues to say the least. If a great code update would roll out for X-Men it would be another frenzy to buy (and buy back) the LEs.

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

With all of the success of Tron and the fact that in a few months we will all be buying the new lighting mode soon to be released, why wouldn't Stern just do a premium run? Are these guys that out of touch with the market place. There is substantial money being left on the table.
My prediction: When the lighting mod comes out TRON LE's lose 15% of their value over night. What is Stern worried about? It's going to happen anyway.

Who's doing these mods coming out in a few months? Is there a thread that I can follow?

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from Underspin:

Who's doing these mods coming out in a few months? Is there a thread that I can follow?

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wthack-tron-pro-near-98501
I am a beta tester and I love Eli's Fiber ramp kit.

#61 6 years ago

Personally, I don't like this LE/Pro/Premium nonsense. Well, the LEs are fine in concept, but I don't like how they've handled them lately. The LOTR LE and BSM were great, because they didn't remove from the base model, they simply added extra flair and collectibility to the LEs. I don't like that Tron Pro is missing some game code, I don't like that you have variations in rules and ramps with other machines, and I don't like the plastic aprons and lame pegs under the playfield.

I'd have no problems with the LEs existing if they didn't withhold features from the Pro simply to act as a carrot dangling from the stick. An exclusive translite, some exclusive art, and upgraded paint on the rails, legs, and bar should be enough to set them apart along with the numbered release.

The Premium model is just a slap in the face. They charge WAY more for the upgrades than they are worth. They're upgrades that are usually just reverting the downgrades that the Pros have seen. Look at games like TSPP, SM, and LOTR and you see fully featured tables, good toy implementation, good code, and durable cabinet components. Two out of those three got LEs, and it they sold out every single one easily.

I love Stern Pinball. I'm usually optimistic about what they're doing, but the Pro/LE/Premium model hasn't been in service to fans at all, it's simply a situation to pad the bottom line. I'm okay if it works both ways, but in this case, it certainly doesn't.

#62 6 years ago

My prediction: When the lighting mod comes out TRON LE's lose 15% of their value over night.

I think the LE's will hold their value, and it's actually the pros that will jump up 15%. I'm guessing there have been a lot of people sitting on the sidelines waiting to see how Eli's mod turns out. Based on what I've seen so far in the videos, the mod is going to blow people away. I don't think it will end up being as fully integrated with the game as the ramps are on the LE's, but it's a good 80% of the way there.

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I have never heard any theories as to why it took so long for Tron to be considered a top notch game.

People played it.

The people that jumped on Tron LE at the getgo were the die-hard Tron movie fans...and this included a lot of arcade-scene guys who weren't even into pinball. Many pinfans were still all "Oh, harumph - Stern and their cheap off the shelf toys again...oh, reusing the 3-Bank again...oooh, look it's similar shallow Ironman rules again! We hate Ironman, we hate this too!"

There were some software/quality issues at the start too. The Recognizer wasn't moving in sync with the target inserts. Disc rubber was flying off. Flickering insert issues. Elements of the rules/code weren't quite there yet...massive overuse of a voice clip (Bum-bum-buuum-buuuum Tronnnnn!" So - as these things were taken care of & people started to play the game, desire for it increased....and the die hard Tron lovers who bought in the first place didn't want to sell them...so the price skyrocketed as that was what was required to pry a Tron LE away from someone.

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

People played it.
The people that jumped on TRON LE at the getgo were the die-hard Tron movie fans...and this included a lot of arcade-scene guys who weren't even into pinball. Many pinfans were still all "Oh, harumph - Stern and their cheap off the shelf toys again...oh, reusing the 3-Bank again...oooh, look it's similar shallow Ironman rules again! We hate Ironman, we hate this too!"
There were some software/quality issues at the start too. The Recognizer wasn't moving in sync with the target inserts. Disc rubber was flying off. Flickering insert issues. Elements of the rules/code weren't quite there yet...massive overuse of a voice clip (Bum-bum-buuum-buuuum Tronnnnn!" So - as these things were taken care of & people started to play the game, desire for it increased....and the die hard Tron lovers who bought in the first place didn't want to sell them...so the price skyrocketed as that was what was required to pry a TRON LE away from someone.

I think this is an excellent/accurate summary of how the Tron LE thing went down.

#65 6 years ago

If there is a market for it, I think Stern should make it. Just don't think with the state of the industry that you can ever leave money on the table.

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I think this is an excellent/accurate summary of how the TRON LE thing went down.

I watched from the sidelines. I was wary of Stern, even though I have three of them. After BBH, Avatar, and TRS, I didn't want to buy anything sight unseen...er, machine unplayed. I didn't have a chance to play them when they first came out, but the early complaints about quality really put me off, but when I finally got a chance to play the thing, I was sold. I've made a deal on one and should have it in the next week or two, so I'm pretty stoked.

The game is awesome, for sure, but I still hate that the Pro is missing some code that the LE received.

#67 6 years ago

Thank you for the link. I'm in for one when ready...

-Underspin

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from nutshell79:

But with all the mods for the game, and the lighted ramp mod looking good, you can almost make a premium edition

Some wiseguy listed his Tron for TPF as a "Tron SE"...it's just a pro with mods... what a turd. Always someone who has to vie for attention in any way possible...

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Some wiseguy listed his Tron for TPF as a "Tron SE"...

I think we should call Tron SE if you have the fiber ramp kit and the arcade mod with the light up light cycles.
That should be coined Tron SE.

There will be lots of Tron SE very soon.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

For a Tron Special Premium or whatever they'd call it. All they have to do is come up with some different name like, "Special, Anniversary, Gold, whatever" edition, that is some degree different than an LE. It will not be the SAME (LE) so, it would not undermine what was there before. The LE would still be limited. This new one would be limited as well but DIFFERENT, than the LE. It could be as simple as a different color or whatever. It could contain all the mods that users add today.
Then, I will buy one from Stern.

Part of why people bought the LEs was because of the additional features. Including most or all of those added features in a non-LE means the LE is only limited in name.

People can argue all day about sterns business practices but I don't think the Emerald City LEs will have the same cachet as TRON LEs for this reason. Likewise, the ACDC LEs don't have it either (over the premiums).

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballlooking:

I think we should call Tron SE if you have the fiber ramp kit and the arcade mod with the light up light cycles.

No, we shouldn't. There are too many versions as is.

#72 6 years ago

Then what should we call the LE with the arcade mod and the light up light cycles? LESE?

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I think the LE's will hold their value, and it's actually the pros that will jump up 15%. I'm guessing there have been a lot of people sitting on the sidelines waiting to see how Eli's mod turns out. Based on what I've seen so far in the videos, the mod is going to blow people away. I don't think it will end up being as fully integrated with the game as the ramps are on the LE's, but it's a good 80% of the way there.

Good point and something to consider.

#74 6 years ago

I always figured if I bought a Tron pro, I'd keep looking at it wishing it was an LE. From reading this thread, I don't think I'd care now. The closer you can bring the pro up to the level of an LE, wouldn't that alone bring the price of an LE down at least a bit?

#75 6 years ago
Quoted from Goonie:

I always figured if I bought a Tron pro, I'd keep looking at it wishing it was an LE. From reading this thread, I don't think I'd care now. The closer you can bring the pro up to the level of an LE, wouldn't that alone bring the price of an LE down at least a bit?

No. Close but no cigar!

#76 6 years ago

Have you looked at the videos of the ramp kit? They already are integrated into game play.

Yes you can trap certain switches and such but it's not controlled by the game CPU. It's as good as it will get but not enough to devalue and LE.

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Yes you can trap certain switches and such but it's not controlled by the game CPU. It's as good as it will get but not enough to devalue and LE.

Not to mention the fact that they could simply change the color pattern on the LE's at anytime with a simple software update and then Eli's mod would need to be completely re-worked to try and mimic the LE again.

It's a GREAT addition to the Pro's (and a "must have" IMO once released) but they'll never be an LE...

#78 6 years ago

Not completelly reworked. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure eli's mod will be programmable to your own tastes. Just a programming update.

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Yes you can trap certain switches and such but it's not controlled by the game CPU.

That’s not how it is working it is ok to say you don’t know how it is working.
It is listening in on the data buss that comes directly from CPU board.

No one is trying to devalue the very cool Tron LE it will always be special.
We are just trying to make the Tron Pros a little more special.

Quoted from ChadH:

Then what should we call the LE with the arcade mod and the light up light cycles? LESE?

I like it very cool.

#80 6 years ago

BBH premium.

#81 6 years ago

why wouldn't Stern just do a premium run?

Because there's all ready what, 3 versions out...just saying.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
6,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Machine - For Sale
Covington, GA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside