• 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by jrrdw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMGA0096.JPG
There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

With all of the success of Tron and the fact that in a few months we will all be buying the new lighting mode soon to be released, why wouldn't Stern just do a premium run? Are these guys that out of touch with the market place. There is substantial money being left on the table.

My prediction: When the lighting mod comes out Tron LE's lose 15% of their value over night. What is Stern worried about? It's going to happen anyway.

#2 11 years ago

Because they screwed up

#3 11 years ago

Lightening mod - is that the DIY lighted ramps?

#4 11 years ago

Premium.

New translite - another one!

Dark blue powder coated rails and legs.

Blue DMD.

Think they would sell over 1000.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

My prediction: When the lighting mod comes out TRON LE's lose 15% of their value over night. What is Stern worried about? It's going to happen anyway.

Tron LE will be fine. Black Spider-Man has higher value than Red, and the features are 100% the same. Only the cabinet art/backglass/chrome trim is different. There are 500 and they're not even individually numbered. Tron LE has the lit ramps...as good as the kit might be, the LE's will always be specific to the programming. It has a different playfield (Tron inserts, Recognizer inserts, silver insert lining). Drop targets. Moving recognizer. Numbered editions out of 400. So - if Black Spidey is holding its value, Tron LE has nothing to worry about.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Premium.

New translite - another one!

Dark blue powder coated rails and legs.

Blue DMD.

Think they would sell over 1000.

They would sell 1000 easy, sign me up!

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

TRON LE will be fine. Black Spider-Man has higher value than Red, and the features are 100% the same. Only the cabinet art/backglass/chrome trim is different. There are 500 and they're not even individually numbered. TRON LE has the lit ramps...as good as the kit might be, the LE's will always be specific to the programming. It has a different playfield (Tron inserts, Recognizer inserts, silver insert lining). Drop targets. Moving recognizer. Numbered editions out of 400. So - if Black Spidey is holding its value, TRON LE has nothing to worry about.

This. A pro will also be a pro.....

#8 11 years ago

Well lets make a list maybe someone at stern will see this.
Tron Premium with lighted ramps....

I will buy 1

#9 11 years ago

They will not make a Premium.

#10 11 years ago

Selling my Tron LE for $5500. What I paid for it. $1500-1800 extra for all the high quality mods installed.

Looking to dump mine before the price decrease.

Rick. "I'm gonna have me some fun." #190

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

This. A pro will also be a pro.....

Oh, and I forgot...only the LE has End of Line Multiball.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Selling my TRON LE for $5500. What I paid for it. $1500-1800 extra for all the high quality mods installed.
Looking to dump mine before the price decrease.

Ok twist my arm i will buy it

#13 11 years ago

Dammit! Knew I shoulda asked for $5600! Son of a...

#14 11 years ago

Stern doesn't care if the LEs hold, lose or increase in value. They sold all of them.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Stern doesn't care if the LEs hold, lose or increase in value. They sold all of them.

They do, though...if they do something that decreases the notion of their LE games having a collectible value, it will hamper the sales of their future releases.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They do, though...if they do something that decreases the notion of their LE games having a collectible value, it will hamper the sales of their future releases.

I agree with this. Stern wants its LE's to be collectable. Tron LE taking off like it did was great for Stern and for pinball in general frankly.

Still, would be nice for 1,000 other pin collectors to get their hands on the full playable version of Tron. I wouldn't mind my LE losing value since I will never sell the machine.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Dammit! Knew I shoulda asked for $5600! Son of a...

LOL ill head your way with a pick up and a handful of cash

#18 11 years ago

I don't think anybody seriously answered thedarkknight77's question. Why wouldn't Stern make a Tron premium now? It could have different artwork than the LE, 2d translite, but everything else could be the same as the LE. They could even sell it for more than the original price of the LE. I too think that they wouldn't do it because it was never originally planned, but are there other reasons why they wouldn't or reasons why they would?

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from tsveng:

I don't think anybody seriously answered thedarkknight77's question. Why wouldn't Stern make a Tron premium now? It could have different artwork than the LE, 2d translite, but everything else could be the same as the LE. They could even sell it for more than the original price of the LE. I too think that they wouldn't do it because it was never originally planned, but are there other reasons why they wouldn't or reasons why they would?

1. It would piss off LE owners
2. It would piss off anyone who bought a Pro, especially recent Pro buyers.
3. They're selling Pros just fine right now, so why not just make money without pissing people off?

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

1. It would piss off LE owners
2. It would piss off anyone who bought a Pro, especially recent Pro buyers.
3. They're selling Pros just fine right now, so why not just make money without pissing people off?

People will be pissed no matter what
(some IM owners will be pissed that stern is going to re-run IM)

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

People will be pissed no matter what
(some IM owners will be pissed that stern is going to re-run IM)

Isn't that just hopeful Pinside rumoring? In any case, if that does happen...let that be a lesson...NEVER buy a used Stern Pro for 5k or 6k until YEAAAAARS after the license expires and there's zero hope for a re-run....and even then, don't do it lol

#22 11 years ago

And stern is going to do a new TF update.

and monkeys are going to fly out my butt. Sha. Right.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Because we're talking about Stern, and that's just what they do.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
314-766-4587

#24 11 years ago

Stern's business practice of 3 different tiers of designs caused this complication. Would be interesting to see how they get out of it. I understand why Stern did this, different pricing for different incomes, but seems they were selling many more pins at just one tier years ago, at least til they went almost bankrupt.

I am going to guess Stern will take the most cost cutting approach and not design any different Trons other than the Pros, as they are still selling, until the license runs out. Which, fiscally makes sense.

Rick. " I'm gonna have me some fun." #190

#25 11 years ago

Post below was from JJ sounds great except the April 1st part (April fools I guess)
Gexchange

"Yes, More Runs planned.. I believe the next one is planned for MAY, but that can always change due to production schedules.

I did Hear a rumor that they are going to remake Ironman, Lord of the Rings, POTC and a couple other popular games for one day only.. April 1st.. Not sure if any truth to that rumor though"

#26 11 years ago

April Fools.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Oh, and I forgot...only the LE has End of Line Multiball.

Just remembered another one...LE's disc changes from red to blue. Carry on.

#28 11 years ago

Daft punk MB and drop targets on LE Tron right?

#29 11 years ago

Yup, got that in my first post up there

#30 11 years ago

Yes and the rgb lighted ramps.

#31 11 years ago

Grrr I want an LE I can't settle for a Pro

#32 11 years ago

There are some metal pieces on the LE that were plastic on my pro. LED's in inserts as well ,chrome rails, and lockdown bar. Not sure why but the LE feels more solid and I seem to make shots easier no idea why. Also the pro had a pin that stuck out in right orbit if you did not hold the lift flipper in for skill shots it stayed up and knocked you back towards tron arcade the LE does not seem to have this.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

Also the pro had a pin that stuck out in right orbit if you did not hold the lift flipper in for skill shots it stayed up and knocked you back towards tron arcade the LE does not seem to have this.

The LE has this as well

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

There are some metal pieces on the LE that were plastic on my pro. LED's in inserts as well ,chrome rails, and lockdown bar. Not sure why but the LE feels more solid and I seem to make shots easier no idea why. Also the pro had a pin that stuck out in right orbit if you did not hold the lift flipper in for skill shots it stayed up and knocked you back towards tron arcade the LE does not seem to have this.

LE also had that pin, I disabled on mine in software. Extra CC on LE's makes shots flow slightly better, spoiled now on drop targets, playing the Pro's feels radically different now after getting used to the LE. I have a NIB TRON LE playfield on my wall for art, compared to my NIB Stern pf's, feels light years smoother, so I am assuming extra CC is the reason.

Rick. "I'm gonna have me some fun." #190 IMGA0096.JPGIMGA0096.JPG

#35 11 years ago

Guess mine is disabled, wish I would have known this earlier, really hated that feature.

The clear coat is that much different? I find the game plays noticeably better than the pro, seems faster too. This has been the biggest upgrade besides the LEDs. As good as the lighted ramps are integrated they just sort of blend in. Was not expecting any play difference and I am sort of shocked by this.

#36 11 years ago

Stern will never say so, but you know they're kicking their own asses for not coming up with the "Premium" thing before AC/DC. Tron Premium probably would have been their best selling pin since POTC.

Honestly, I hate the whole LE trend. If its cosmetic features, OK, but stripping gameplay functions from any game sucks.

#37 11 years ago

To all the kids on this board who have trouble with math, I stated LE would have a 15% drop over night. 10,000 (w/mods) x .85 = $8500. Still a pretty penny, considering what most paid.

#38 11 years ago

Whatever this mod is, it won't impact the LE price. The mod may be neat but it won't be controlled by the game software and integrated into the programmed light show like the LE is. I hope the mod is great. Just adding regular EL wire to my pro was great. I ended up trading for an LE for a few reasons and would have still done so whether or not this mod existed.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Extra CC on LE's makes shots flow slightly better, spoiled now on drop targets, playing the Pro's feels radically different now after getting used to the LE.

Tron LE was never advertised as having extra clear. The only LEs that used that as a selling point were Avatar LE and LOTR (kinda-sorta)LE. I'd like to think all the LEs have more clear, but I don't really see any evidence of it....especially considering the frailty of shooter lanes, wood edges, etc.

Quoted from markmon:

Just adding regular EL wire to my pro was great. I ended up trading for an LE for a few reasons and would have still done so whether or not this mod existed.

I find this extremely surprising...you're "Mr. Mod" and clearly money's no object...why didn't you just keep "THE BEST" and stick with Tron LE?

#40 11 years ago

I don't think Tron premium will happen. Why would they do the engineering to change some features, change the software, change the wiring etc.? Tron Pro has been made, and its easy for them to make more. Plus anyone who wants a Tron has to get a Pro (or spend stupid $ on the LE), so they know they can sell the Pro's easily.

#41 11 years ago

To all the kids on this board who have trouble with math, I stated LE would have a 15% drop over night. 10,000 (w/mods) x .85 = $8500. Still a pretty penny, considering what most paid.

Oh, you're just being sour grapes now. Ok, $5625 for you. Only cuz you can do rudimentary math.

I have a line of buyers who want my LE real bad. Supply and demand Bro. I'm not worried what my LE is worth, as I've decided not to sell, and the more people who try to throw money at me, the more I want to keep my Baby. I would miss it and the money made would just be spent trying to chase another one. I've had friends try to make me sell to buy a Pro and mod it for alot less money, just isn't an LE. Differences aren't cosmetic only. Premium's ain't happening, too much money for Stern to invest into a title that sells well as a Pro only.

Once Stern stops making the Pro's run, I am sure desire for those will increase, but to imply the LE's will decrease is, well, silly based on my personal experience firsthand. Sorry to bust your bubble Chum, but can't see it happenin'.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

TRON LE was never advertised as having extra clear

Yes it was. I even talked to Patrick Powers about it. Extra CC was added.

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Yes it was. I even talked to Patrick Powers about it. Extra CC was added.

Cool. I just don't remember it being advertised in the "Features Matrix" or whatever. If Pat confirmed it, that's good enough for me!

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I find this extremely surprising...you're "Mr. Mod" and clearly money's no object...why didn't you just keep "THE BEST" and stick with TRON LE?

I think maybe you misunderstood. I owned a tron pro modded with el wire. Then I traded it up for an LE. I now have the LE. The point was this ramp lighting mod won't impact the LE value. I would have made the trade even if my ramp light mod on my pro was better. Can't beat the corteographed lighted ramps on the LE. Plus the LE has more callouts and extra multiball mode.

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I think maybe you misunderstood. I owned a tron pro modded with el wire. Then I traded it up for an LE. I now have the LE. The point was this ramp lighting mod won't impact the LE value. I would have made the trade even if my ramp light mid on my pro was better. Can't beat the corteographed lighted ramps on the LE.

Oh, OK...I thought you traded down. I know AZpinlawyer did that...thought maybe you did, too. OK, what you did made sense...what he did doesn't. He's KING OF BLING...it's perplexing.

#46 11 years ago

For a Tron Special Premium or whatever they'd call it. All they have to do is come up with some different name like, "Special, Anniversary, Gold, whatever" edition, that is some degree different than an LE. It will not be the SAME (LE) so, it would not undermine what was there before. The LE would still be limited. This new one would be limited as well but DIFFERENT, than the LE. It could be as simple as a different color or whatever. It could contain all the mods that users add today.

Then, I will buy one from Stern.

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Sorry to bust your bubble Chum, but can't see it happenin'.

Your not bursting my bubble, but you sure are pissing me off. Take your "chum" and shove it up your a$$. I could give two $hits about your Tron and how much it's worth and how many people are throwing money at you. It has nothing to do with my statement. I have no problem with you disagreeing with me, but I do have a problem with you being a dick.

#48 11 years ago

Man, everyone seems angry on pinside tonight. All these snippy arguements back in forth. We all love pinball and can all get along.

I'm off to watch walking dead.

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

he mod may be neat but it won't be controlled by the game software and integrated into the programmed light show

Have you looked at the videos of the ramp kit? They already are integrated into game play.

#50 11 years ago

Your not bursting my bubble, but you sure are pissing me off. Take your "chum" and shove it up your a$$. I could give two $hits about your Tron and how much it's worth and how many people are throwing money at you. It has nothing to do with my statement. I have no problem with you disagreeing with me, but I do have a problem with you being a dick.

Enjoy your impotent internet anger? Doesn't take much to light your fuse tonight. Cabin fever? And if you don't give two shits you have a funny way of showing it. Chumly Chum Chum.

I'm funnin' with ya is all. No personal attacks meant man. We're all pinball lovers here after all. I'm sure there are plenty of people in real life to be pissed at. Another RGP'er looking to start an internet argument? Not me, how 'bout you? Btw, I am a dick in real life. Just ask my friends. Oh yeah, don't have any...cuz I'm a dick.

Now where's my dog so I can kick it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Trade
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-question-why-not-do-a-tron-premium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.