Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 304 posts
  • 89 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by JY64
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Satan_claus (resized).jpg
    0BB5DDCC-53A2-4C6E-91D6-C3730FCD3418.gif
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    BlankCoinDoor.jpg
    IM_Classic.jpg
    percentage-of-bikes-with-problems_large.jpg
    image.jpeg
    Norwegian_Viking_Troll.jpg
    535-6862-05_set.jpg
    stupid.jpg
    dowel.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 8 years ago

How is not including an lcd cost cutting? That's gotta be the dumbest logic I've ever heard. They've never had an lcd so it's not cutting costs to still not include one.

I'm super chapped by their cost cutting because I didn't get a new car included for free when I bought walking dead.

To the original poster: good job saying over and over how stern is cutting costs without any examples whatsoever. To that I'll simply disagree. I don't see any cost cutting in the last few years since the pegs came out.

Why would anyone argue the back box redesign is a cost cutting measure? The new back box is great. No more wrench that's always lost. The DMD angle is improved. The whole machine is slightly lighter now and easier to move. Man people can't make any changes or move forward without old timers constantly complaining about things changing.

#90 8 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Lockbar gone...

What machines don't have lockdown bars? If you mean the clasps, I don't think that is a bad change. Just cause something changes doesn't mean it's cheapened. The clasps hold the lockdown bar on tighter.

Quoted from flynnibus:

Aprons..
    Stern would love to preach to you on how much Spike reduced components in the system and is better.. yet that improvement in COGs went where??
    Crappy driver transistors

They've actually improved their transistors moving from stl20 to stl40s rated at more than irl540n.

#94 8 years ago

It's wrong that I don't think this is a bad change? Then tell me, what do I think?

#156 8 years ago

I wish people would quit touting crap about what they paid. Who cares what you paid. If you can't shut up about what you paid then it was obviously too much for you to pay and you shouldn't have bought.

Q/C is irrelevant of price paid. Pinball machines are coin op products and you should not expect them to be perfect. It's common knowledge that the prices have increased. No one at stern mislead you to think that's because thousands of dollars are spent on Q/C. So if you don't like the price, don't buy.

I have recently sold most my B/W games partly because I'm tired of repairing games all the time. I have a row of 12 sterns that never break. I can turn them on and play a game without hearing some switch error ding or have to track down a credit dot (both of which if I turn a game on and hear I can't have fun and have to fix instantly). I've bought several nib sterns and the quality is fine.

You know what game I had major q/c issues with? My nib woz. But I fixed the issues and moved on rather than start a cry thread on Pinside about how much I paid.

#159 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

I wish I was better at being quiet when I feel like I've been on the bad end of a deal. Personality flaw.
    I wonder if stern would consider a QC edition that costs a few hundred more but goes through a quality control process?
    Oh well. Now, I'll stop whining and start fixing!
    On that note, any suggestions on how to fix the areas on the playfield that were over buffed and are rough/hazy? Lots of beer maybe?

Try waxing that with a good paste carnuba wax. That does wonders for a lot of these types of problems.

#164 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

I would argue pinball machines are collectable toys as much, if not more than they are "coin-op" products these days.
    In the past, they were sold to operators to make money. These operators had either the expertise or staff to fix any mechanical issues. Cosmetic problems were non-issues because they wouldn't affect coin intake and the machines were going to get beat on anyway .
    Today, homebuyers are used to getting more from their multi-thousand dollar big toy purchases, where warranty repair means a service person comes to your house to fix the problem or you bring it back to the dealer for repair.
    The problem with pinball is that the manufacturers are not set up for this level of warranty service, even though they are marketing their machines to home buyers. I can't think of any other purchase I've made where the types of quality issues we routinely see on new pinball machines would be just shrugged away and accepted.
    There are lots of new people getting into the hobby who don't expect they are going to have to learn how to apply decals, troubleshoot lightboard problems or learn how to solder to fix their "brand new" toy.

Yep. Well people are collecting coin op machines. It's not the case that people are routing collectible machines. New or not, pinball has a cost of ownership. This is what it means to get into the hobby. If people aren't prepared for these things perhaps they'd better be served by taking up chess or horseshoes

The bottom line is that the stern quality is not worse than before and is inline with this industry in general for the last 25 years. People probably need to adjust their expectations.

#207 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinterest:

Really? You don't believe it is reasonable to expect higher quality as the price of a product increases?
    You would be the only person I know who thinks this way - it's human nature.

No, I don't. It's not a trade where they're charging more because you're getting more. Instead they simply increased the prices.

#225 8 years ago

Dude put some screws in that backboard and wax the play field. Then go enjoy your new game.

#229 8 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Dude why don't you stop telling us what to think and what to do with our issues. Seriously get over yourself, it used to be you that you tried help folks with tech issues and stuff but lately you just post shit belittling people.

The post above that you quoted doesn't tell anyone what to think. It tells him what to do to solve his problem. I guess people here don't want solutions and just want to pump the cry thread though?

#234 8 years ago

Waxing an area of the playfield that has no clearcoat won't fix it.
    Better qc would though.
    But even suggesting that gets some people REALLY angry...so I won't.

The photos he provided didn't show a playfield with no clear. It showed some duller spots in the clear where waxing will help.

The guy with transformers playfield issue was legit but contacting Gomez and Gary stern was not the solution. Contacting his distributor was. A single issue like this one sucks. But it doesn't mean stern quality has gone down hill. It's a one off. There will be several one off issues on any given run. They need to be handled. Simple problems like missing screws in a backboard don't warrant several visits to Pinside. Instead put some screws in and enjoy the game.

#241 8 years ago

I wasn't aware of these post limit rules...
    What is the appropriate post limit when talking about a NIB pin you just got (positive or negative posts...I'm kicking myself now for all of the raving/positive posts I wrote about my NIB Metallica...ugh!)
    Thanks for bearing me, I'm still learning!

Lol. It's just the mentality. When I buy a game nib or used, it goes into my workshop not my house. There it gets cleaned and waxed (even if nib), play tested and tweaked as needed. Once perfect, it goes into the house. I've had to regap / align flippers, tighten screws, fix minor flow issues, all on nib games. It's just part of the experience.

I guess there are those that get the game and spend a few minutes or hours fixing it and are enjoying the game right away. Then there are others that get the game and spend days/weeks refusing to fix the game "because they paid so much stern should do it" and instead of enjoying their purchase they spend days / weeks in the forum crying. I guess it's clear which you are.

#257 8 years ago

These aren't consumer products. These are vending machines (think washing machines). Made for commercial use only.

Yep. This.

Quoted from Darscot:Is this the mentality with all products you purchase, or do you just accept the quality is so dreadful at Stern? You do realize it's guys like you that are doing the most damage. Your average consumer needs a private shop and be willing to put a few hours labour in if he plunks down several grand on a NIB. That sound like a solid business model.
    It's my mentality with all products I purchase that are user serviceable.

#263 8 years ago
    Quoted from Toads:

While I'm on the subject, does everybody change out the Stern balls when they receive a new pin?

I pull them out of the bag and clean them with window cleaner before installing them. That makes them shiny like most aftermarket balls.

2 weeks later
    #273 8 years ago
    Quoted from Off2War:

What type of wax do you recommend? I have used pure carnauba wax with no improvement whatsoever....

If the clear was extra thin, using novus 2 (a harsh running compound) may have actually done it in for good. Otherwise I would treat it like a car. Wax it with a good carnuba.

#280 8 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Watch how fast they turn to crap in the wild.

Not sure what you're talking about here. The GoT I just got has the thickest clear coat I've ever seen in a new game. I've also gotten several games from route ops through here and some of the new sterns clean up like they're brand new.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-quality-going-down-the-drain?tu=markmon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.