Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Who-Dey
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I just set up my NIB GB premium, installed the center post and inlane mods.

I looked all over this pin and didn't have any issues. I waxed the playfield and cabinet. Cleaned the balls and glass and played a few games.

I don't know where all the hate comes from on this pin, it has so much going for it and it's a blast to play and pretty to look at. This is the fourth NIB stern I've set up in the last 6 weeks or so, this and Aerosmith I'm pleased about everything. I do agree that their cabinets could use better joinery and I wish the premium pins still had the lock bar receiver instead of the latches.

I suppose time will tell, I just wanted to post something non-drama, non-negative and my experience with the latest sterns.

#2 6 years ago

Haha...why don't you play it without adding the adornments that make it fun to play?

#3 6 years ago

I'm fine with the latches but the on-off switch makes it hard to place games side by side. The quality has been fine except for the cabinet cracking

#4 6 years ago

I agree with you, GB is awesome and I'll never get rid of it, I play just for the fun of playing, not real concerned with codes.

#5 6 years ago

you might feel differently after playing "Who brought the dog?" 78 times and getting the exact same score.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Haha...why don't you play it without adding the adornments that make it fun to play?

I've enjoyed playing it without a center post mod, the game is meant to be difficult and I like the challenge. I closed the outlanes to the "easiest" position but that's it.

#7 6 years ago

I'm a Stern fan and waited over a year to order GB premium to give them time to resolve any issues. Hate is a strong word but I definitely understand why people have a bitch with GB. My playfield is chipping behind both drop targets (my distributor and Stern stepped up to address), and all the other complaints (air balls, switches not registering, etc.) are still there.

It's still fun to play, but you can't help but be frustrated with the chunkiness and cheap drains.

I can see it being a keeper if you're a real GB fan or buy pins to admire, but the game play has too many flaws to earn a permanent place in my lineup.

#8 6 years ago

I have a Stern Stars and it is as well built as any other machine I own. With a top quality topcoat on the playfield. and a cabinet as solid as any. I have no complaints about the quality at all. No complaints about all the outdated crappy themes they are doing now either because I don't have to buy them.

Anybody complaining simply should not buy them.

#9 6 years ago

I received a NIB GB Premium yesterday and will agree that the quality is good (cabinet is great) but the quality control is another story. My game was shipped with some sort of residue left on a few small areas of the playfield that thankfully were able to be buffed out and the coin box wasn't secured to the inside of the cabinet (the clip to hold it down was under it...). Besides that I've been very happy with the game.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I've enjoyed playing it without a center post mod, the game is meant to be difficult and I like the challenge. I closed the outlanes to the "easiest" position but that's it.

Wtf? I wasn't asking you, I was asking him. Why wasn't I asking you? Because I was just responding to you last night in your thread about shifty stern quality...right?

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Wtf? I wasn't asking you, I was asking him. Why wasn't I asking you? Because I was just responding to you last night in your thread about shifty stern quality...right?

I was just making a comment, wow, didn't mean anything by it.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I was just making a comment, wow, didn't mean anything by it.

No offense meant by me. I just don't understand why you're responding to me when you know stern is having issues....and this whole thread is about how they are not

#13 6 years ago

I don't agree with the center post, but its your PIN.

I purchased all the Stern accessories, topper, shaker motor, black armor, HD glass, plastic's both colors, now replaced with ULEK's, shooter rod, art blades. game fills & feels complete as far as stuff goes.

Mezel mods fire house overlay, still waiting on the stay puff motor from Mezelmods.

Ecto goggle protector.

ULEK's clear sling shot rail guards work exactly as designed, perfect design. Very happy no more rail jumping and cheap unwarranted drains.

Williams/Bally New Style Leg Bracket (inside cabinet reinforcement)

Not happy about, airballs on the 2x, 3x, ghost target's, even with the airball protector from here on pinside, 2x sends my ball flying towards my cross over ramp dents the playfield, ghost target (not covered) sends it towards the firehouse and captive ball on the left... sigh'. , current design is F&*%ing horrible, even modded.I am ready for a better design PLEASE FOR LOVE OF PINBALL, SOMEONE WORK ON A NEW AIRBALL DESIGN.

Magnets, the code v1.13 is horrible on the premium/LE's with the magnets looping the ball and rams it SDTM with Jedi force (there is nothing you can do), or it nicks the slingshot, force's it inwards as it slows the ball speed... and SDTM, or loops a backflip and goes perfectly in the outer lanes & drains, fix the code Stern.

Overall I do enjoy my NIB GB premium as does my family, theme is just awesome, color, sound, LED's, shots/ramps. Needs a better air-ball protector, and code. IMO GB is 10x better than batman 66 lol

lastly, where the F&*% is Libby, aka the Statue of Liberty I mean come on at least some screen time on the DMD.
I think someone should make a better Gozer or 3D model.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

you might feel differently after playing "Who brought the dog?" 78 times and getting the exact same score.

you know there are three ladders, right? you don't always have to go for the same one.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

you know there are three ladders, right? you don't always have to go for the same one.

Easiest to start from skill shot, most lucrative end

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from camcamaro1991:

I don't agree with the center post, but its your PIN.

same, on both sentiments in that sentence.

lastly, where the F&*% is Libby, aka the Statue of Liberty I mean come on at least some screen time on the DMD.

eh i'm kinda glad the lamest, cheesiest element of the series was left out.

I think someone should make a better Gozer or 3D model.

that's a great idea. instead of a hard-to-see flat plastic, a translucent 3d-model would be awesome. you could even use the Gozer flasher to make it light up.

#17 6 years ago

Haha don't rile up the GB2 fans please

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Absolutely. It's just that WBTD? is easiest to get started, even accidentally.

#19 6 years ago

Stern makes the best games hands down and I have various manufactures games. New and Old. They have some quality issues that is expected in a pinball game. They were never a perfect product. They are mechanical as we all know. Williams and Bally games were worse. They broke more frequently as I played them throughout my childhood. The newer technology is so much better and more reliable today than ever. Overall I am very pleased with my Last 8 NIB Stern games.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

You like the challenge? Then why did you close the outlanes to the easiest position?

#21 6 years ago

Quoted from pezpunk:

That 78 times is out of 200 games. Still too much.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

eh i'm kinda glad the lamest, cheesiest element of the series was left out.

She could have been added to the Stern art blades... total fail IMO.

#23 6 years ago

If your memorizing or writing down stats while playing pinball, you're doing it wrong.

Just my opinion.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

If your memorizing or writing down stats while playing pinball, you're doing it wrong.
Just my opinion.

"Repetition is the key to memorization." - Dwight Sullivan, probably

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

If your memorizing, writing down stats while playing pinball, you're doing it wrong.
Just my opinion.

I hear ya there. I've never really played pinball for points unless it's for a tournament or league. I much rather play for progressing through the games story and see how far I get. I can't recall in any story based game what my highest score is but I can tell ya how far I made it into the games story modes.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well, I guess the same reason people buy pins then buy mods. Just because I put a mod on it doesn't mean it's not fun with out it.

The other reason is I have this pin on route, and it needs to generate money. If a non Pinballer plays it and can't keep the ball in play very long then most likely they won't play it anymore.

I hear what you are saying though and every pin has its quirks, believe me, I wish stern or any manufacturer would produce the "perfect" pin. I'd buy more than one and put one at every location I have.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Bud:

I just set up my NIB GB premium, installed the center post and inlane mods.
I looked all over this pin and didn't have any issues. I waxed the playfield and cabinet. Cleaned the balls and glass and played a few games.
I don't know where all the hate comes from on this pin, it has so much going for it and it's a blast to play and pretty to look at. This is the fourth NIB stern I've set up in the last 6 weeks or so, this and Aerosmith I'm pleased about everything. I do agree that their cabinets could use better joinery and I wish the premium pins still had the lock bar receiver instead of the latches.
I suppose time will tell, I just wanted to post something non-drama, non-negative and my experience with the latest sterns.

I'm with you but the Stern bashers will no doubt come in and ruin this thread. I've bought four NIB Sterns in the past year and a half and all four have been awesome and trouble free. I had one loose wire on GOT that would give me switch issues once in a great while, put a dab of solder on it and it's all good now. Stern is making the best games out there hands down and they are killing the competition. They have a few quality issues to address like the strength of the cabinets maybe but they will get addressed and fixed if there is a problem. Great company!

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Stern is making the best games out there hands down

I think stern is putting out some really nice pins, but they do have their issues. Honestly though, I think if JJP could put out the volume and selection that stern does, JJP would be king of the hill. JJP has great quality (not perfect), great diagnostics and tech support. I love how I can call JJP directly and talk to Jack personally if I decide. I also like that if I have an issue, tech support is there to walk me through the issue or trouble shoot live, then send me out a part overnight if that's what it takes to get their product up and running.

Not bashing Stern by any means, but when I had an issue with a pin, first I had to send an email explaining everything, then I had to wait for a reply, then I had to respond to that only to hear the answer I asked about in the initial email. A simple phone call could have produced the same result in minutes instead of days. The answer ended up being call your distributor and pay for the part (even though it was a known engineering fault with a board). I tell you all this because I route pins and can't have pins be down for days at a time due to parts and that's the case when a stern goes down unless I want to stock up on parts.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I'm with you but the Stern bashers will no doubt come in and ruin this thread. I've bought four NIB Sterns in the past year and a half and all four have been awesome and trouble free. I had one loose wire on GOT that would give me switch issues once in a great while, put a dab of solder on it and it's all good now. Stern is making the best games out there hands down and they are killing the competition. They have a few quality issues to address like the strength of the cabinets maybe but they will get addressed and fixed if there is a problem. Great company!

I have had good experiences with stern games too, but Ive only bought two nib games since late 2015 (met pro and TWD prem.). However, I do not agree that they are making the best games out there. Owning a hobbit and WOZ, it is clear to me that JJP makes a better overall game in terms of quality and complexity. The fact that stern uses those stupid service pegs on games instead of metal rails is the clearest sign of how they have downgraded quality and cut corners in recent years. The pf ghosting issues and cabinet issues likely also are signs of cutting corners. This is not stern bashing, I own a lot of them, I just feel JJP is a few steps ahead. I'd rather try to buy a DI than anything else stern is offering right now

#30 6 years ago

GB is a great pin. One of Stern's best. And as evidenced by one's of Stern's biggest selling pins in history.

Also, understand THIS > Stern has rectified the PF issues as far as i can see. My ASLE PF is sexy nice with a beauty of a clearcoat.

Now I'd assume they will address the cab issues some are having.

Stern has pumped out some awesome pins lately. Thrilled with them. Play some pinball, you might actually like it.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from Bud:

Playing a few games is nothing. The ghosting issue can look great out of the box, and then develop as you play it. The chipping also isn't directly out of the box, but over time. Some cabs were split out of the box, but others happen with play.

I hope you are lucky and got a good one. I hope it lasts and lasts with no issues. But toss a few hundred plays on it before you say it's all peaches and cream.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Playing a few games is nothing. The ghosting issue can look great out of the box, and then develop as you play it. The chipping also isn't directly out of the box, but over time. Some cabs were split out of the box, but others happen with play.
I hope you are lucky and got a good one. I hope it lasts and lasts with no issues. But toss a few hundred plays on it before you say it's all peaches and cream.

I get it man, I hear what you are saying and I agree. Time will tell, and I don't expect it to be perfect over time. A lot of B/W pins had ghosting too, especially J-Pop pins like TOM, CV, and TOTAN. All those are desired pins and still fun to play yet there using much bashing over the issues with those titles, I know they are all over 20 years old by now too!

I was just pleased with my pin, I know people that had ghosting and cab issues right out of the box, I guess I just got lucky!

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

The ghosting issue can look great out of the box, and then develop as you play it.

If it does, apply for Stern's replacement PF program.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Ghosting issues have thankfully been resolved for a while now, 6-9 months maybe.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

GB is a great pin. One of Stern's best. And as evidenced by one's of Stern's biggest selling pins in history.
Also, understand THIS > Stern has rectified the PF issues as far as i can see. My ASLE PF is sexy nice with a beauty of a clearcoat.
Now I'd assume they will address the cab issues some are having.
Stern has pumped out some awesome pins lately. Thrilled with them. Play some pinball, you might actually like it.

Can you imagine if GB wouldn't have had all of the playfield problems how many more games they would have sold? It definitely hurt sales and killed all of the hype for the game. It was so bad that a lot of people just couldn't get over it and moved away from GB. GB is one of the best pinball machines ever made PERIOD!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 103.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

15,699 (OBO)
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-quality-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.