Stern Pro VS Premium

By webdiddy

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

For the people who have played both the premium and pro versions of the games below.
Which of the games have the least and most differences in features and gameplay?

Deadpool
Munsters
Iron Maiden
Guardians of the galaxy

#2 5 years ago

Deadpool pro I think is better than the premium/LE only difference is drop targets spelling deadpool the pro has stand ups. The pro has a diverter compared to the premium /LE which has a diverter on the left spinner feeding back to your right flipper. The premium/LE also has a spinning disco ball but I think people make the mod for the pro.

Iron Maiden is another game with not that many big differences on the pro center ramp does not lift up compared to the premium/LE. The pro has a standup on the orb compared to the premium/LE that has the newton captive ball. On the premium/LE you can shoot the left ramp to feed a ball to your mummy lock on the pro the mummy lock is just a normal captive ball.

Guardians of the galaxy also has minimal differences and I think the pro is the best. Only differences is the premium/LE has the groot arms which block your shots. It also has two spinners which the pro does not. The premium/LE has the orb which opens up in the pro it's just static.

Munsters has the biggest differences the premium/LE has the lower playfield. The premium also has the very unique black and white artwork.

#3 5 years ago
#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

The premium/LE also has a spinning disco ball but I think people make the mod for the pro.

Yea, and the new batches look factory which is awesome. The problem is that it doesn’t have the dedicated and coded spotlights that shine at it for disco mode, and it dosent do the actual shining of light everywhere like the disco ball on the premium/le. That effect is so awesome!

#5 5 years ago

We pulled the trigger on the premium because of the diverter ramp feeding the right flipper from the left orbit and the additional drop targets. There is also an additional control gate on the pop bumper access to feed that ramp. The Mrs also preferred the cabinet art on the Premium over the other models, however we are contemplating having the steelwork powder coated as the black just comes off flat.

To me, the Disco ball would not be worth it unless you can key the lights with the mode. Otherwise, it would get overlooked just sitting there spinning, or become more of a distraction being constantly lit.

While I also like the additional toys like Wolverine, the 3D Chimi truck and Dazzler, we also added some of the character plastic to the playfield that is included in Pro but deleted in premium/LE. Especially the Domino piece highlighting the right orbit. The Domino artwork on the playfield is covered up by the katana and gets lost.

#6 5 years ago

Pro is fine on all those but I’d probably go Premium on Munsters for the fun lower PF and the super cool black and white art.

#7 5 years ago

Thanks for the replies so far.
At the moment I am currently leaning towards either Deadpool or Munsters Premium.
I am a much bigger fan of Deadpool over Munsters which I have never seen. But Munsters Premium with the lower playfield looks like a blast.
I take it that a Deadpool premium you would essentially pay $1,600 just for a disco ball, drop targets, a diverter, and a vinyl figure? If not counting the different art package?

#8 5 years ago

Deadpool buy pro(sold my Le, and will get Pro)
Munsters you get ekstra playfield
Guardians get pro(Sold my LE)
Maiden get premium, its not only the ramp that open.

Just my opinion

#9 5 years ago

Dp premium. Pro on all others

#10 5 years ago

Don’t forget huge difference in lighting between most premium and pro. Usually stern premium have full RGB which changes how a game looks and feels as you play. Also have service rails vs pegs.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Iron Maiden is another game with not that many big differences on the pro center ramp does not lift up compared to the premium/LE. The pro has a standup on the orb compared to the premium/LE that has the newton captive ball. On the premium/LE you can shoot the left ramp to feed a ball to your mummy lock on the pro the mummy lock is just a normal captive ball.

The MUMMY lock location changing to the left ramp on the Premium/LE is a HUGE and game altering change on Iron Maiden. Makes MUMMY multiball and collecting Tomb Treasures much harder if you aren't dialed in on your ramp shots.

Also the Premium/LE has an entire multiball mode (can i play with madness) that the pro version of the game doesn't. Another huge change.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

The MUMMY lock location changing to the left ramp on the Premium/LE is a HUGE and game altering change on Iron Maiden. Makes MUMMY multiball and collecting Tomb Treasures much harder if you aren't dialed in on your ramp shots.
Also the Premium/LE has an entire multiball mode (can i play with madness) that the pro version of the game doesn't. Another huge change.

I completely forgot about can I play with madness which is a nice mutiball mode.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Don’t forget huge difference in lighting between most premium and pro. Usually stern premium have full RGB which changes how a game looks and feels as you play. Also have service rails vs pegs.

Service rails 50 bucks pinball life . Easy install.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

Starting mummy mb is probably harder; but collecting tomb awards is easier. The right loop isn’t used all that much in the code and is one of the harder/riskier shots in the game making it tougher on the pro. From my experience, prem = longer game times do to easier difficulty and more stop n go while the pro is faster. But all in all, it’s not by much.

I’d like to hear more on DP. I think the premium is the way to go there solely for the flow of the left loop diverted returning to the flipper rather than pops.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I thought all pro’s now have service rails starting with IMDN?

#16 5 years ago

Maiden is absolutely Premium over Pro

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

Service rails 50 bucks pinball life . Easy install.

And the RGB lighting - not so easy if at all. :p

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I thought all pro’s now have service rails starting with IMDN?

That’s possible I usually don’t buy pros because I like the RGB!

#19 5 years ago

I actually love RGB inserts and GI, but are Sterns RGB lights as impressive as the ones on the JJP or AP machines?

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

I actually love RGB inserts and GI, but are Sterns RGB lights as impressive as the ones on the JJP or AP machines?

JJP light shows are amazing. JJP spends much much more time programming cool quirks into their RGB.

Regarding DP, I think the lightshow is the same from pro to prem?

#21 5 years ago

Sorry to disagree with DP Pro over the LE!! I wouldn't touch a Pro now,to clunky!!! And there are MANY other components to the LE that really make it pop!!If you've played a LE and didn't like it,was probably set up badly as some GBs are!!!!IMHO!!!!

#22 5 years ago

Which of the pins listed has the best RGB lighting?

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

Star Trek Premium / LE has all RGB inserts and looks awesome.

Most of the rest have SOME RGB inserts.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Maiden is absolutely Premium over Pro

I’ve got a pro and don’t miss the other stuff. The layout and code is just so good that it’s awesome in any package.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

Both Star Trek LE and GOT LE have 100% RGB and have awesome light shows.

#26 5 years ago

Deadpool Premium has more flow than the Pro with the left orbit going all the way around. It's an awesome shot with that lift ramp diverter. The Pro left orbit always going to the pops isn't great.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Deadpool Premium has more flow than the Pro with the left orbit going all the way around. It's an awesome shot with that lift ramp diverter. The Pro left orbit always going to the pops isn't great.

It's like Game of Deadpools. Unfortunately it's like $1600 for an orbit shot and a disco ball.

Premiums in general are the best balance of price and features, but Pros are the best value. Plus, they're easier to move when you're done.

Deadpool Pro is fine though.
Maiden Pro over Premium (to many mech issues)
GOTG Pro over Premium (probably the worst premium value)
Can't speak on Munsters but I'd rather buy Shrek for $4500 if you want a mini pinball.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

It's like Game of Deadpools. Unfortunately it's like $1600 for an orbit shot and a disco ball.

It is. Those two items make the game awesome, but damn it! Like, they vastly improve both gameplay and fun factor... and pow 1600 bucks

#29 5 years ago

Deadpool: Pro wins
- Spots are better than drops on this game, hitting that long rubber once they are down is a nightmare
- Disco ball is a non-interactive toy so who cares, ditto for the Happy Meal toys
- Loop ramp is cool but not worth the added cost and makes disco multiball a rarity
- Art is subjective but Pro has the better backglass and premium has the better cab imo

Munsters: Premium wins
- Black and white artwork looks sick as hell, best art package Franchi has done to date
- Lower playfield is a significant gameplay change and worth added expense

Maiden: Pro wins
- Most differences are glued on Happy meal toys and a weird strobe flasher thing
- I do like how it forces you to shoot the left ramp more but this could and should be added to the Pro code at some point, the actual captive ball toy thing is slow and lame.
- Lift ramp makes it too easy, I would disable this if I had a premium

Guardians: LOL worst premium package they’ve ever done, the pro is not only cheaper but better
- Giant plastic molded turds across the playfield that block your view
- More magnets when one is already one too many
- Happy Meal toys glued to playfield

And yes support rails are now on all pros including all the games here except GotG, which can be bought from your preferred pinball goods purveyors for ~$50

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from tonedef131:

Deapool: Pro wins
- Spots are better than drops on this game, hitting that long rubber once they are down is a nightmare
- Disco ball is a non-interactive toy so who cares, ditto for the Happy Meal toys
- Loop ramp is cool but not worth the added cost and makes disco multiball a rarity
- Art is subjective but Pro has the better backglass and premium has the better cab imo
Munsters: Premium wins
- Black and white artwork looks sick as hell, best art package Franchi has done to date
- Lower playfield is a significant gameplay change and worth added expense
Maiden: Pro wins
- Most differences are glued on Happy meal toys and a weird strobe flasher thing
- I do like how it forces you to shoot the left ramp more but this could and should be added to the Pro code at some point, the actual captive ball toy thing is slow and lame.
- Lift ramp is lame and makes it too easy, I would disable this if I had a premium
Guardians: LOL worst premium package they’ve ever done, the pro is not only cheaper but better
- Giant plastic molded turds across the playfield that block your view
- More magnets when one is already one too many
- Happy Meal toys glued to playfield
And yes support rails are now on all pros including all the games here except GotG, which can be bought from your preferred pinball goods purveyors for ~$50

Totally disagree on Guardians. But, it's personal preference.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from tonedef131:

Spots are better than drops on this game, hitting that long rubber once they are down is a nightmare

My thoughts on Deadpool:

- Not sure about spots being better. Haven't played a Pro though. I love drop targets in general, so I am biased. Would it be worth upgrading from Pro to Premium if that is all the difference? No.
- Disco ball is pretty cool, nice little lightshow in Disco modes, but I agree, not a large enough feature to justify Pro to Premium if going on that alone.
- No real difference in light show, which is unusual from Stern Pro to Premium/LE, so not a reason to upgrade.
- Loop ramp is more than cool imo, it changes the game flow significantly. Disco multiball will still happen, and you get a disco loops mode that the Pro doesn't have. You can easily get Disco multiball every game if you want, just focus on that left orbit and keep looping it. The spinner rip over and over is very satisfying. Now that I have it, I can't see myself enjoying Deadpool without it.

So, for me, loop ramp is the deciding factor, the drops and disco ball is just gravy. Everyone is going to have their own opinion, but I would strongly advise anyone looking at Deadpool to try both the Pro and Premium/LE before deciding. Hitting that left orbit ripping the spinner three or four times in a row is a lot of fun.

#32 5 years ago

I think the Pro vs Premium decision really starts with 2 different approaches buyers have when deciding. One type of buyer starts with a Premium and needs good reasons to go Pro and the other buyer starts with a Pro and needs good reasons to upgrade to a Premium. Both have logical approaches - “why settle on something you enjoy” and “is the game really so much better for $1300 more”?

I am a “start with a Pro” guy. Value is in my blood and enjoy my IMDN Pro, enjoyed owning GOTG Pro and hope to own DP someday and would be fine with a Pro of that game. MUN not sure

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Tucson Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mishawaka, IN
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
DEAD POOL (PRO) Pre-order!
The Pinball Place

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Merrimack, NH
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pro-vs-premium?hl=anathematize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.