(Topic ID: 224726)

Stern Pro Models affect on older games for me. Am I crazy?

By Loganpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by vassq
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1ACFE59B-6009-48D2-95DA-6D608497C56A.jpeg
    EA6EE9FF-0D84-475F-AC19-A66935E988DA (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MikeS.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 5 years ago

Older games have basically doubled in cost over the past 6-7 years which makes Stern Pros a better value in comparison. My limit on old games is $3500. Anything more than that and I'll save a bit more and get a Stern. The software and replay value is just better on a Stern and they don't require much maintenance and are pretty trouble free.

The other side of it is that I've been collecting for 15 years and have owned or played most of the 90s games to death so Stern Pros have more appeal to me in the $4k-$5k market.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

I have watched locally as both of these titles sat working from collectors for 2500 each in the past year, so yes you can. That said some people do not care if a game is perfect, many just want to play it. This varies person to person though. Personally I like a machine that in good shape, but don't care if its perfect. I also find modern sterns to feel cheap as crap. Pegs instead of rails. The new metal head. The cheap latch system for the lock down bar. Also not a fan of the lack of backbox lighting effects. For me the sweet spot was the early to mid 2000's when stern had deep rulesets but still had a high bom. You lost out on the backbox light effects, but it had everything else. Now, unless you get a premium it feels like you got ripped off.

Most $2500 BSD's and Fishtales are going to be rough. I'm a buyer of nice condition WPC games in the $2500 or less range but now days people want $3K plus for games like Demo Man, Judge Dredd and WCS. I've owned all 3 and enjoyed them when they were $1200 games but there's no way in hell I'd pay what these games go for these days. When I got into the hobby in the early 2000's HUO Stern games like LOTR and TSPP were $3300-$3500. Now HUO Stern games are $4400-$4800. It's a jump but the inflation isn't nearly as bad as the WPC games and I can still justify the pricing in my mind. I used to have a WH20 which I paid $1700 and to buy that game now it would probably be close to triple the price. I'd rather have a game like Iron Maiden that is in perfect condition than a WH20.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MikeS.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pro-models-affect-on-older-games-for-me-am-i-crazy?tu=MikeS and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.