(Topic ID: 190875)

Stern Pro Circuit?

By Marty_Graw77

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images-3 (resized).jpg
    images (resized).png
    spc-logo-768x698 (resized).png
    #1 6 years ago

From the IFPA website:

Stern Pro Circuit . . . Coming Soon!
    By IFPA • June 7, 2017

A Replay Foundation, IFPA, Stern Pinball collaboration . . . details coming soon.

Competition for PAPA? Anyone got the skinny on this?

spc-logo-768x698 (resized).pngspc-logo-768x698 (resized).png

#2 6 years ago

Seems to be corporate sponsorship of a tourney series. Pretty cut and dry. Hopefully more money for prizes and a higher quality of broadcasting come along with it.
    No threat to PAPA imo.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from fumbleflippers:

No threat to PAPA imo.

Considering PAPA is partnering with us on this I would think the threat level is extremely low (they are the Replay Foundation).

#4 6 years ago

Since it is with Replay Foundation, it appears to be a new and improved version of the PAPA Circuit, with Stern sponsorship. This would appear to take the place of the PAPA Circuit for 2018.

#5 6 years ago

Removing the Amateurs from the p"A"pa circuit and just leaving the Pros? Also, Stern sponsoring seems like they may want the games to lean heavily (all?) to the Stern side. Do you really think they want Dialed In, Houdini, TNA, ALIENS, etc being in the finals round? There's a reason it's been the Monster/Sprint/Nextel/Winston NASCAR Cup and not the Chevy/Ford/Toyota NASCAR Cup, to draw a comparison. Being a sponsor of a sport or league that uses your product, great. Being THE SOLE sponsor of a sport or league that uses your product, not so great.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Marty_Graw77:

Do you really think they want Dialed In, Houdini, TNA, ALIENS, etc being in the finals round?

*I* don't want *any* of those games in a finals...much less in qualifying. They're all incomplete and nobody knows the full rule sets other than the guys that programmed them? So what? I don't think new release games should be used in tournaments at all until they've been in the hands of owners for at least a few months.

Stern is not going to have any say over what brand of games get used. Only TDs are going to have that power, or the circuit events will be a failure. Most "pro" players are pretty sick of Sternaments as it is..

#7 6 years ago

The PAPA Circuit is being re-themed to the Stern Pinball Pro Circuit, more details to come..

#8 6 years ago

Lol

I didn't mean those machines as-is, I just meant more in the not-Stern sense.

#9 6 years ago

I would expect that Stern sponsorship will dictate a minimum # of Stern machines in a tourney. It wouldn't make any sense at all for them to sponsor a tourney that was made up of 2 EM's, 3 solid states, 3 Bally/Williams DMD and a Gottleib.

That's fine with me. Most of the Sterns play great and have good rule sets for tourneys.

#10 6 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papaifpastern-pinball-pro-circuit-teaser

i tried starting this thread but yours got more traction

#11 6 years ago

Im in for the LE...

images (resized).pngimages (resized).png

images-3 (resized).jpgimages-3 (resized).jpg

#12 6 years ago

What aboot the dollar!?!?

#13 6 years ago

Jared will be onsite at all circuit events to ban any player who talks bad about Stern

#14 6 years ago

I thought this was a plan to get the remaining WWELEs out of storage. All winners get one until the stock is used up.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from imharrow:

I thought this was a plan to get the remaining WWELEs out of storage. All winners get one until the stock is used up.

great. NIB WWEs for all winners of ANY event in the next 27 years! That should do it

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from jeffpm:

Jared will be onsite at all circuit events to ban any player who talks bad about Stern

That's more like Jody's attitude than Jared.... in fact that's pretty much the opposite of Jared.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

great. NIB WWEs for all winners of ANY event in the next 27 years! That should do it

I'll take it.

#18 6 years ago

im excited to see what this is all about!!

#19 6 years ago

Had planned to attend a lot of circuit events in 2018. Interested as well.

1 week later
    #21 6 years ago

There are a lot of reasons this is gonna be huge!
    This is the right direction to push us closer towards the "esports" realm.
    Big names attract big sponsors attract big prizes/prize pools!

#22 6 years ago

"Twelve machines will be made available for the duration of the tournament. The machines will be a mixture of classic and new Stern pinball machines."

So the circuit finals now IS going to be a "Sternament"? lol..god please let me win BCO this weekend, so I can try to figure out some crazy way to go to the circuit finals before that happens!

#23 6 years ago

Unfortunately from what I've read on Tilt forums, the circuit finals for THIS year will be run by Stern, in Chicago.

#24 6 years ago

honestly my only gripe is that the machines will be only stern. The array of interesting games from all eras is like 90% of the fun.

#25 6 years ago

Maybe they're going to start broadcasting this on ESPN 8 the ocho.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pro-circuit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.