(Topic ID: 247254)

Stern Private Label game for a group of pinsiders?

By AJB4

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Vdrums
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Stern PL game designers specifically for Pinsiders?”

• HELL YES, I am in. 9 votes
      13%
    • MAYBE, depends on a lot of factors 15 votes
      21%
    • NO, nobody will agree a d we would just waste everyone's time 46 votes
      66%

(70 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LG8hcp (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

I saw the Private Label area on the Stern website and got to wondering...

Let's say there was a sizable group of Pinsiders who wanted a non-licensed pin made. Then let's say they could agree upon the theme (maybe WWII or Mardi Gras or something else) and then also maybe some particular game features they wanted. What if they went to Stern as a group and asked to have it built under the Private label line?

If we had enough people and were willing to be flexible and not too outrageous I bet we could get it done. Perhaps we could pick our designer and coder... In the end it all comes down to pricing and what it would cost per game and that would be dependent upon how many people would lay their money down ahead of time, etc. OR maybe to save on costs, we pick an existing game, say like Tron, and have them retheme it.

Would any anybody be interested in something like that?

AJB

#2 4 years ago

Trying to get a group of pinsiders to agree on something would be a futile effort. Seems like a lost cause....they wouldn’t like the art, the code would be too deep/not deep enough, they would want a fan layout or some would hate a fan layout, they wouldn’t agree on theme, etc

Too many variables to please everyone.

#3 4 years ago

Yes, I think you are correct. But if a group could come together it would be cool.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from AJB4:

Yes, I think you are correct. But if a group could come together it would be cool.

I think a great idea would be to retheme a popular machine/great design like Iron Maiden- if they had enough interest to make it into multiple versions. Similar to family guy/shrek. They could have special rules such as tournament only pin vs home use pin. Would save on design cost, just would have to pay licensing, new art and new code. Probably too much trouble and the that’s why it haven’t been done since shrek. I assume if you had enough money, maybe 1 million, anything could be possible

#5 4 years ago

I think you could just reskin a Supreme pin into a Pinside pin

#6 4 years ago

why aim for Stern?
    IF it could be done, it would be a project a smaller company (spooky) could be interested in

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

why aim for Stern?
    IF it could be done, it would be a project a smaller company (spooky) could be interested in

Stern specifically because I guess they are starting to offer Private Label contract builds despite saying they wouldn’t do that just a year or two ago. They see the money all these little boutique companies are getting and want a piece of that action

#8 4 years ago

I wouldn’t want a WNBJM version 5 game. If one of the classic stern layouts would be available I could see lots of possibilities depending on cost. I wonder what the minimum order would be? Wasnt Primus 100 games?

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

why aim for Stern?

American Pinball has a 3rd line at the new building for things like this.

LTG : )

#10 4 years ago

There are certainly many Custom Pins made by Pinsiders that wont make excellent production games!

As this thread develops, Id love to see the poll reflect which games we have seen, would we love to see made.

I guess TNA was first, that made it?

#11 4 years ago

Yes. Im in. Stern and jjp need to make a pinside pinball together, lol

#12 4 years ago

What's that saying about too many cooks...
    Great idea but in reality i don't think it will work

#13 4 years ago

It could be a hell of a cost saver. Side step the dealers and purchase directly from the factory. I wonder what Stern charged to make Supreme or Pabst re-themes. Supreme is Spider-Man home and Pabst is whoa nelly, if I remember correctly.

#14 4 years ago

The new Pinside Pinball machine.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

The new Pinside Pinball machine.

Open Code! As a group we can adjust, contribute, and improve instead of just hoping.

Why Not include "Pinsiders" in the game.....VID Mode, Odin Non-Multiball, Lloyd Help Bonus!

#16 4 years ago

I would definitely be interested in seriously exploring the idea, especially if we are thinking Stern or AP. If Stern does it, uses a classic layout as the starting point, and gives us a total package comparable to Beatles Gold, I’d honestly have no problem paying 8k for such a bespoke game. I would also be very happy with AP being involved; their achievements in all aspects of pinball manufacturing and customer relations are impressive for such a young company and I am confident they would deliver something excellent too.

For the first time I can remember, I find myself stuck in a state of “analysis paralysis” for the past SIX MONTHS trying to choose a NIB game, so maybe active input in a new game is the path to freedom from indecision. (It was so much easier 10-15 years ago when few truly good games were being made!)

#17 4 years ago

My guess is that Stern Private Label is limited to WNBJM or Spider-Man Home / Supreme.

If those were the only options, would you still be interested?

I think finding a great home brew and getting it mass produced would be much more successful and result in a better game. (Plus people would know what they were getting into before committing money).

#18 4 years ago
    LG8hcp (resized).jpgLG8hcp (resized).jpg
    #19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Trying to get a group of pinsiders to agree on something would be a futile effort. Seems like a lost cause....they wouldn’t like the art, the code would be too deep/not deep enough, they would want a fan layout or some would hate a fan layout, they wouldn’t agree on theme, etc
    Too many variables to please everyone.

"It would take months to decide on what color just the playfield inserts should be."

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

My guess is that Stern Private Label is limited to WNBJM or Spider-Man Home / Supreme.
    If those were the only options, would you still be interested?
    I think finding a great home brew and getting it mass produced would be much more successful and result in a better game. (Plus people would know what they were getting into before committing money).

I am pretty sure the only options where spiderman / supreme model or Whoa Nellie/ pbr can crusher. Thats what it sounded like in the Gary Stern interview a couple weeks ago.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

"It would take months to decide on what color just the playfield inserts should be."

Wait who said we are having colored inserts??? All clear so we can choose our own... see will never happen. Completely kidding of course but just wanted to show how the argument is gonna start.

1 month later
    #22 4 years ago

After reading this post I wanted a stern private label. But found out the minimum order is 100 qualtities.

Does anyone know any company that does private labels or just a re skin and how much would I expect to pay?

Thanks!

#23 4 years ago

Perhaps we could have them make the playfield out of balsa wood so it would hold up better.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-private-label-game-for-a-group-of-pinsiders and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.