(Topic ID: 293154)

Stern pricing criticism isn’t justified based on the MSRP history.

By VMAX

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 127 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinFever
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

western.gif
    EF1A67E5-473E-4C77-BFB7-43CFCD21067B (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#28 2 years ago

I always add $400 when comparing SAM to Spike, because you need the ColorDMD to make the display even approach what we’re getting now with the LCD. I paid $4700 in 2013 for Metallica and a ColorDMD, and Stern Pros are now $6000 MSRP and street price. That’s a 28% increase over 8 years, but we also get the 8 years of improvements. I’m okay with it as long as I can still enjoy the game for a few years and not lose too much when I sell it.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from VMAX:

no other machines were as low-priced as Metallica (though I have no idea why that was true).

MET came out at the same time as WOZ, I think that had something to do with it.

#47 2 years ago

I can’t get nostalgic about price when those older, cheaper games had monochrome DMDs, incandescent insert lighting, USB upgrades (no SD cards), pixelated cabinet art and miles of wiring. SPIKE playfield swaps must be a breeze to do.

[EDIT: don’t get me wrong, I still love my POTC, LOTR and MET. But I’ve been impressed with the progress Stern has made].

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Look at what you got in LOTR for $3500 in 2003
    Look at what you get in Led Zeppelin Premium for $7700 in 2021
    In 2021 dollars $3500 is about $5k and the games now include less and are made cheaper (no proper lock down bar mech, bolts for locking head, metal / wood head, decals vs direct printed cabinets, chipping playfields, node boards, etc)
    The end

Stern cut costs in ways that I think most people agree are sensible. The support pegs were a mistake, but they course-corrected on that. And the node boards are mostly an improvement over SAM. I wouldn’t have said that a year ago, but now replacement prices are reasonable, and in my experience they’re pretty solid.

#59 2 years ago

metallik right, the playfield colors were inconsistent. Luck of the draw whether your playfield looked green, blue or red.

However...I’ll take Gimli’s callouts over the British guy in LZ, even with the lower quality audio.

#66 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

...until the 45-minute games begin to get on your nerves.

Easily fixed, I just take the outlane posts out.

#67 2 years ago

My guess is that Stern determines Street price by tracking what the used games sell for, and adds x%. You can’t expect Stern to sell a new LCD Pro for $5000 when people are paying that every day for a DMD Pro.

#104 2 years ago

You may want to continue this on the pricing thread, instead of bumping your own thread with the same observations over and over. Friendly suggestion, and I mean it as constructive criticism. You may also want to pull back on using the word “whining”. People complain, but you don’t know if they’re whining unless the complaint is coming out of the mouths.

#108 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinFever:

Hahahaha 20k in inovations and content. Gtfoh they did not even include rgb lighting in the pro. Im a big smoker of trees and need what your smokin man.. Show me a couple hundred in inovations on the mando pin please.
    You are not using logic man and the game is still only 4500 to me after all thier cost cutting ways

$4500 NIB, I’ll have some of what you’re smoking...we haven’t seen that price in 8 years.

#118 2 years ago
    Quoted from VMAX:

I represent the rational manufacturer, distirubutor, dealer industry perspective as well as the rational customer perspective.
    I have no ties to Stern or any other pinball manufacturer. I did just make a deal to privately purchase 104 machines, and was glad to buy some at a discount and some at a premium.

I’m not sure someone who buys 104 games at a time can represent the rational customer perspective
    Just kidding, and congrats on the bulk deal.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pricing-criticism-isnt-justified-based-on-the-msrp-history?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.