(Topic ID: 293154)

Stern pricing criticism isn’t justified based on the MSRP history.

By VMAX

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 127 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinFever
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

western.gif
    EF1A67E5-473E-4C77-BFB7-43CFCD21067B (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Blindseer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#112 2 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

In all the circular logic of this thread, I still don't understand your point, even though you have tried to repeat it over and over. I mean, are you saying that Stern didn't control pricing? Are you saying we should all pay MSRP? Are you saying MSRP is the way to rate games? It just doesn't quite make sense.

Are you saying MSRP is the way to rate games?

MSRP can be used at a baseline. I have seen a few people make the "thats not what i pay" arguement which doesnt mean that there wouldnt still be a price increase to distributors which might choose to swallow the cost.

A business has every right to charge what they want to charge for a product. Stern has said that there has been an increase in prices sourcing chips and lumber but chosen to keep the MSRP the same. A collector/consumer can scoff at the last price jump and shout "Im not paying that price" It happens in all the company forums.

Does Stern control pricing?

Yes (obviously) but no business should chose to run at a break even or a loss. Companies want profit and if it hasnt been obvious that the pandemic has increased the demand from the consumers which has been driving up prices on games why shouldnt a company increase cost if they choose to? Its not like they dont have people with money willing to pay for it.

Are you saying we should all pay MSRP?

You should pay market value which is whatever you can pay. JJP goes for 20K which is 13K more than MSRP, RnM sells for 2-4K over MSRP. NiB Sterns can sell for under MSRP.

As an operator I will pay what I think is worth it to have a machine in my arcade that customers are willing to pay. I will spend 10K on a RnM but wont spend 20K for a JJP and I am buying a Mando premium. I get the consumer argument as much as I dont agree with it because the problem is multifactor. Will Mando sell well? Yes regardless of how much complaining is done on pinside because there are far more people/operators who are fine with the prices than those complaining.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Blindseer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pricing-criticism-isnt-justified-based-on-the-msrp-history?tu=Blindseer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.