• 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by dnaman
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 2.18.03 PM (resized).png
Dalek_explain.gif
There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Stern raised prices on “us” while dropping prices for the rest of the world.

Kinda sorta

It appears Stern lowered the MAP (Minimum Advertised Price). They increase the MSP (Minimum Sales Price) & MAP every other game it appears but this to my knowledge is the first time MAP & MSP were equals and the MAP went backwards (on current gen games) while the MSP went upward.

I think.

When looking @ retail pinball websites selling the two most recent Stern titles prior to Maiden you will see Star Wars Premium @ $7,599 & GOTG Premium also @ $7,599

Why is Maiden Premium $7,299?

Even Aerosmith is $7,399!

At first I thought prices on LCD display games dropped (I’m not referring to VE DMD games or NOS titles) but everyone here said they've gone up. From what I gather what actually happened is the “street price” for Maiden via a ”Pinside” distro are now equal to an online retailer in terms of final sales price and the common man not on Pinside just got a discount.

Little by little Stern introduced more & more priced based rules for the distros to follow so I’d speculate this was the intended end result. Uniform pricing. I recall a few years ago a B&M store telling me Stern was going to do this.

I sorta like the idea of sitting on my iPad taking a shit while buying a pin with my credit card & getting the rewards points/security with zero human interaction & zero time invested in the shopping process way more than wiring money to a distro & waiting for them to receive stock after calling around for prices like it’s 1988.

But I’d like a lower MSP of course.

#2 6 years ago

Been a while since I purachased nib. What are street prices for pros and premiums from stern now?

#3 6 years ago

My quote for an Iron Maiden Premium was 7300 with free shipping......and this is from a distributor I’ve purchased 7 NIB titles from and 2 NIB titles in the last 2 weeks.

I’m guessing what you’re saying is truth, gone are the days of saving a s*** load from a distro you’ve bought from a ton.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from FightNightFZ:

My quote for an Iron Maiden Premium was 7300 with free shipping......and this is from a distributor I’ve purchased 7 NIB titles from and 2 NIB titles in the last 2 weeks.
I’m guessing what you’re saying is truth, gone are the days of saving a s*** load from a distro you’ve bought from a ton.

Yeah. It may be a lateral move for us however.

If today's sold price on current games are lower than the MAP of yesterday's games then really only the MAP rules changed since MSP always rises.

Also it may result in more sales for Stern now that MAP is lower than it was a few weeks ago which could draw in more non pinhead buyers since the advertised entry point is lower.

This could be perceived as a price drop since Pinside supposedly makes up a very small % of pinball people according to folks here who like to say so.

But it looks like this is the new situation.

Until its not.

Quoted from TZBen:

Been a while since I purachased nib. What are street prices for pros and premiums from stern now?

The first rule about street prices... there are no street prices.

What you see online is the price

It seems

#5 6 years ago

Unless you go in on a group buy and buy 6 or 7 games, you might get a better price then.

#6 6 years ago

So, a premium Iron Maiden is $7300 bucks out the door for everybody in the known universe no matter who you are?

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

So, a premium Iron Maiden is $7300 bucks out the door for everybody in the known universe no matter who you are?

Nah, I bet Gary Stern's kid's can get a better price.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

No.

But Stern has tightened up the slack by doing what they did.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

No.
But Stern has tightened up the slack by doing what they did.

It seems like every person in the Maiden thread said their distro quoted $7300 shipped.

Did you hear something different?

I hope so. I like money.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

It seems like every person in the Maiden thread said their distro quoted $7300 shipped.
I hope so. I like money.

VERY SLIGHTLY better deals are out there. The slack has definitely been pulled up.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

VERY SLIGHTLY better deals are out there. The slack has definitely been pulled up.

What is very slightly?

$1?

$34?

Inquiring minds want to know

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

What is very slightly?
$1?
$34?
Inquiring minds want to know

$100-$150ish. Really not worth the time to haggle out or find unless you already have the deal.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I hope so. I like money.

Sweet baby Heyzeus. so does that mean distributors are paying a thousand bucks more than a few years ago?

#15 6 years ago

They are trying to eliminate grey market imports which traditionally have made up an increasingly large percentage of new Stern sales down here in Australia.

There is no street price on a new machine from the official local distro down here. You pay retail MSRP or you import your own.

No doubt the local distro has been in Gary's ear to make it more "not economically viable".

#16 6 years ago

Wasn't 7300 allready premium price for the last few releases?

#17 6 years ago

Wait. Premim street prices are now $7.3?

Weren’t they just 6.7 four months ago??

#18 6 years ago

Ride the high. Make the money while the margin is available, because if we catch an economic downturn, it won't be easy to move games at that price.

If people keep paying, Stern, JJP, and Spooky will keep bumping the cost.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Wait. Premim street prices are now $7.3?
Weren’t they just 6.7 four months ago??

I think the last time they were that were before the lcd? So gb was the last to be around 6700-6800. I believe starting with bat66 and aerosmith they were around 7300 street price with pros being 5200-5400 and now they are 5700. I miss the days (not long ago ) in july 2015 when i bought a met pro with shaker nib for 4600. Also i bought a walking dead premium in jan 2016 for 6300 with shaker . Man how things have changed over a short time.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I think the last time they were that were before the lcd? So gb was the last to be around 6700-6800. I believe starting with bat66 and aerosmith they were around 7300 street price with pros being 5200-5400 and now they are 5700. I miss the days (not long ago ) in july 2015 when i bought a met pro with shaker nib for 4600. Also i bought a walking dead premium in jan 2016 for 6300 with shaker . Man how things have changed over a short time.

Yeah, the price jumps are coming with less time in between. It's everywhere though, new, used, even project machines.

#21 6 years ago

Don't believe everything you read here....

Lots of smoke and mirrors here in this thread.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

?

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Dalek_explain.gifDalek_explain.gif

#24 6 years ago

stern has gotten nuts with raising prices. nothing but greed. new metallica pro was $4600 when it came out.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

stern has gotten nuts with raising prices. nothing but greed. new metallica pro was $4600 when it came out.

Yep and now the same pin is around 5400 i believe

#26 6 years ago

some info I track on the Stern Price watch thread - all in MSRP launch prices as a consistant comparison

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-game-release-history

March / 2018 / Iron Maiden / Pro / $5999
March / 2018 / Iron Maiden / Premium / $7599
March / 2018 / Iron Maiden / LE (500 of) / $8999

February/ 2018 / "Supreme" / Boutique (Re-themed Spiderman Home Edition design game) / $???? unknown at this stage - apparently only 12 to be made

January / 2018 / AC/DC VE / Premium LUCI / $7699
These games now have the removable window for the Premium playfield

October / 2017 / Guardians of the Galaxy / Pro / $ 6,199
October / 2017 / Guardians of the Galaxy / Premium / $7,899
October / 2017 / Guardians of the Galaxy/ LE / $8,999

June / 2017 / Star Wars / Pro / $6199
June / 2017 / Star Wars / Premium / $7899
June / 2017 / Star Wars / LE (800) / $8999

May / 2017 / AC/DC VE / Pro / $6099
May / 2017 / AC/DC VE / Premium / $7699
These games now have slightly different are and the removable window for the Premium playfield

January / 2017 / Aerosmith / Pro / $6199
January / 2017 / Aerosmith / Premium / $7899
January / 2017 / Aerosmith / LE (500) / $8999

September / 2016 / Spiderman / The Pin / $3800

First game with LCD Display, not a DMD
August / 2016 / Batman 66 / Pro - not available this time around
August / 2016 / Batman 66 / Premium (probably be the new Pro concept in 2017) / $8599
August / 2016 / Batman 66 / LE (240 only) / $9999
August / 2016 / Batman 66 / Super LE (30 + 50 only due to demand) / $14999

July / 2016 / PBR "Can Crusher" / Boutique (Re-themed Whoa Nellie design game) / $6995

March / 2016 / Ghostbusters / Pro / $5995
March / 2016 / Ghostbusters / Premium / $7595
March / 2016 / Ghostbusters / LE / $8795

January / 2016 / Spiderman VE (Comic Version) / $7595

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

some info I track on the Stern Price watch thread - all in MSRP launch prices as a consistant comparison

MSRP doesn't work because the street price of earlier pins was well below the MSRP (usually 12-15%), whereas the street price now is almost the same as MSRP (street price is only about 4-5% less than MSRP) - because Stern took the slack out of the pricing. So looking at MSRP, it looks like Stern lowered prices, when effectively they raised street prices - again, but this is a trick they can only pull once.

#28 6 years ago

I get what you are saying but the info was just a tool to show what was released officially but that is interesting and thanks for the further insight and understand more.

Aus prices just went up which now after your explanation makes sense.

#29 6 years ago

Whereas in the UK, Stern are taking the p!$$.

The GBP has recently strengthened against the USD so Stern decided that rather than us getting more value for our money, we could instead afford to pay more!

Iron Maiden Pro - £6,395 ($9,124) is the MAP
Iron Maiden Prem - £8,695 ($12,404)
Iron Maiden LE - £10,995 ($15,686)

'Older' machines don't fair much better

ST Prem - £7,995 ($11,406)
GB Prem - £7,495 ($10,693)
Total NA - £6,595 ($9,409)
GotG/SW Pro - £6,295 ($8,981)

So the CHEAPEST NIB Stern available is as good as $9k.

JJP (standard) prices are:
WoZ - £8,795
PotC - £8,695
DI/ Hobbit - £7,995

ps These prices are from the biggest, best and cheapest distributor in the UK

#30 6 years ago

I have a feeling that these pinball companies are close to pricing most people out. The price hikes are getting out of f*cking hand.

#31 6 years ago

Here is Aussie's Distributor price and we don't have competitive pricing, but Pro's went up even though prices went down, Premium's went down (good thing), LE's went up even though Stern's remained the same. And to add our dollar has been very consistent for a quite awhile.

AMD prices in Aussie Dollars

IRON MAIDEN PINBALL - STERN ​3 MODELS AVAILABLE
IRON MAIDEN PRO - $8450.00 (due end May)
IRON MAIDEN PREMIUM - $10,650.00 (due end July)
IRON MAIDEN LIMITED EDITION - $12,950.00 (due end June)

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY PINBALL ​3 MODELS AVAILABLE
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY PRO PINBALL - $8350.00
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY PREMIUM PINBALL - $10,800.00
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY LIMITED EDITION - $12,350.00

and in comparison with Stern's USD MSRP release

March / 2018 / Iron Maiden / Pro / $5999
March / 2018 / Iron Maiden / Premium / $7599
March / 2018 / Iron Maiden / LE (500 of) / $8999

October / 2017 / Guardians of the Galaxy / Pro / $ 6,199
October / 2017 / Guardians of the Galaxy / Premium / $7,899
October / 2017 / Guardians of the Galaxy/ LE / $8,999

#32 6 years ago

Pins out of box resale is at 85-90% even with raising prices. When the resale percentage gets lower than this will slow NIB sales.

These games earn well on location. The new games earn great and are still worth the cost.

When resale gets to a lower level or games don’t earn that’s when street pricing will start leveling out.

#33 6 years ago

I think everyone got a price drop but "us"

Us = collectors buying under MAP

Every one else = people not on Pinside

If we make up the minority then are pin prices dropping finally from manufacturers pricing folks out?

NPO says he knows something.

I welcome the info. That's why I started the thread. I'm not the NIB authority, just sharing what I've noticed & asking for more info.

MAP, the price every buyer but "us" pays has indeed dropped. No?

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

Isn't that the way it SHOULD be? It's an unlimited product. Dealers want to cut people a deal on shipping or paying cash vs. credit...okay...but what you're paying for the game itself really shouldn't be different. Entitled babies want their "rich guy discount" NOW, after supporting years of price-Jack'ing, while all the rest of us living on a median income were like "NOPE NOPE NOPE" and ya'll told us to stop whining?

#35 6 years ago

I think all the manufacturers have implemented a "no discounts" pricing strategy. This is a bummer - but it is STILL a good idea to buy from a distributor as they can help you out with issues and have a direct line back to Stern, JJP, AP, etc., and you definitely get the game to your door faster.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I think all the manufacturers have implemented a "no discounts" pricing strategy. This is a bummer - but it is STILL a good idea to buy from a distributor as they can help you out with issues and have a direct line back to Stern, JJP, AP, etc., and you definitely get the game to your door faster.

There are ALWAYS discounts if you're willing to be patient.

#37 6 years ago

In the USA, new in box street prices (that are generally the norm from a distributor) for Iron Maiden

PRO: Increased from $5,400 (previous model) to $5,600
Premium: Held at $7,300 from previous model
LE: Increased to $8,800+ from $8,500 before they sold out

So overall definitely an increase, despite MSRP holding or dropping.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

There are ALWAYS discounts if you're willing to be patient.

For sure - but I thought we were talking NIB

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It's NIB as well. I'm sure if you called around you could find a GOTG LE for less than the $8500 minimum. Same for past games like WWE and KISS. Distributors aren't going to keep their money tied up in dead inventory.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Everyone will have a different experience, I guess, but I was able to buy 3 of 4 of my last NIB games for fairly good discounts off what seemed to be a universally held "you can't find it for less" $number$. Not the case with TNA. TNA was full asking... and the other games were hot titles.

I also had a bizarre mixup with a well known distributor about 1.5 yrs ago where he thought I was going to be purchasing a game to sell direct to a client. When in reality, I had done some work on some games for a local guy and he asked me to help him find a certain title. Before I was able to clarify, the distributor quoted me a price that was about $500 less than what I'd expect to find on a good street deal (which revealed - to me - an even bigger profit than I thought was baked into pricing).

So, in sum, I think there's always decent wiggle room if you're willing to be patient and shop around, despite the appearance of line-in-the-sand pricing.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

It's NIB as well. I'm sure if you called around you could find a GOTG LE for less than the $8500 minimum. Same for past games like WWE and KISS. Distributors aren't going to keep their money tied up in dead inventory.

KISS and WWE have always been exempt to the minimum pricing rules.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Everyone will have a different experience, I guess, but I was able to buy 3 of 4 of my last NIB games for fairly good discounts off what seemed to be a universally held "you can't find it for less" $number$. Not the case with TNA. TNA was full asking... and the other games were hot titles.
I also had a bizarre mixup with a well known distributor about 1.5 yrs ago where he thought I was going to be purchasing a game to sell direct to a client. When in reality, I had done some work on some games for a local guy and he asked me to help him find a certain title. Before I was able to clarify, the distributor quoted me a price that was about $500 less than what I'd expect to find on a good street deal.
So, in sum, I think there's always decent wiggle room if you're willing to be patient and shop around, despite the appearance of line-in-the-sand pricing.

Those days are over - that's what the minimum pricing is about. Stern and JJP have stopped allowing distributors to discount - or I'm being lied to.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Those days are over - that's what the minimum pricing is about. Stern and JJP have stopped allowing distributors to discount - or I'm being lied to.

No, you're right. Officially the distributors can't go below the price floor. Unofficially a distributor might, but they could technically get in trouble for doing so. If you score a deal below the price floor, don't be spreading that info or it might be the last time you get that deal.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You can believe what you want.

#45 6 years ago

Remind me to never ask to borrow your iPad.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Remind me to never ask to borrow your iPad.

lol, well played sir.

FWIW many of my Pinside posts are done on the toilet.

Maybe even this one?

#47 6 years ago

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 2.18.03 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-04-16 at 2.18.03 PM (resized).png

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

lol, well played sir.
Maybe even this one?

Was kind of a shitty post.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

No, you're right. Officially the distributors can't go below the price floor. Unofficially a distributor might, but they could technically get in trouble for doing so. If you score a deal below the price floor, don't be spreading that info or it might be the last time you get that deal.

Ok so that’s probably the best way to put it.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

lol, well played sir.
Maybe even this one?

Well i guess that explains all of your BS posts then!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Palm Springs, CA
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Wanted
$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pricing-changes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.