(Topic ID: 276728)

Stern price increase on ALL machines 1/1/2021

By Wanimal

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20210827-200026_Samsung Internet.jpg
    icarus (resized).jpg
    IMG_4486 (resized).JPG
    E71B0527-1F4F-4C58-9FA4-30BEBDEF7C71.gif
    IMG_4459 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4461 (resized).JPG
    AE61C7EF-3DB6-43B3-A3DE-8313F7416A4A (resized).jpeg
    4204E77B-4104-446D-B9C7-0282594AF74D (resized).jpeg
    snap.gif
    your-so-funny_o_1035046 (resized).jpg
    6a00d83452403c69e2017ee408b998970d (resized).jpg
    1324C443-4692-454E-80A4-10EB6162ADFF (resized).jpeg
    001163B9-83C4-48E6-8649-F51E521DC04E (resized).jpeg
    who_designed-tech_support_3_laughing_man (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Lermods.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#150 3 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

Certain LE’s sell out quickly but they would obviously sell more pros and premiums at lower prices.
    When your factory is full you can either raise prices or invest to expand. Increasing capacity is usually better if you can consistently fill it up over time, especially in a low capital cost business like pinball. But Stern has apparently decided that the longer term outlook isn’t strong / clear enough right now to make another major investment.
    It wouldn’t surprise me if they expanded and/or actually lowered prices to trounce the competition if any actually ever emerges. Economies of scale is their biggest advantage and they’d be stupid not to use it to derail a serious competitor.

I’m not sure price is the main issue. JJP makes much better games imo, and I’m ok paying more for them because I always feel like I get a more substantial machine. Compare a wonka/DI standard to a tmnt premium.

#155 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Who cares about that? I would take the one I enjoy playing the most, the fact that its feels substantial is inconsequential to my fun factor.

So if you like tmnt and di equally, you would be good paying the same price for them and feel like the value is the same?

#184 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I bought a Munsters last year. It plays 100%. I play the hell out of it. All the cab decals are on straight. No pooling on the play field. ETC.
    A friend has several late models Sterns that are great playing pins. They were routed so there is some dimpling on the play fields which don’t bother with play action at all.
    He also has WOZ that is a great player. Other than there is no dimpling on the play field, sitting side by side I see no difference in appearance presentation between the brands.
    What quality issues should I be looking for?
    Speak up. Be specific, please. You make it sound like I need to get educated.

Look at the construction of the cabinets, quality of the rail system, number of mechs/coils/leds, toys, wiring gauge, Video and sound system, etc. you’ll find plenty of differences between the two. How many people are replacing their speakers on stern games? You never hear that happening with JJP games. My hobbit sounds amazing. There is just a lot more to a jjp game. Perhaps most importantly, there is one cpu board on stern spike games that is not repairable by most people, it goes down, it’s like $1000 to replace and a few weeks to get a new one ( and they do fail). JJP is still using through hole technology that can be repaired (and diagnosed) relatively easily.

To be clear, I’m not saying stern games are bad, they aren’t, are a lot of fun and they put out great themes. But at the same price point, I feel you get more from a JJP.

#189 3 years ago

Six years ago? Cmon, gotta do better than that. Maybe never wasn’t the right term, should have said rarely.

#190 3 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I guess. I just expect more than thicker wiring gauge and few more coils when spending that much on a pin. Wonka was priced down to compete with Stern and doesn't seem that far off feature-wise to me. Remember fans being quite critical about lack of features when released. Other games more impressive but price points much higher. Not sure I would bank on JJP pins being cheap to repair down the road but whatever.

Wonka actually has a lot, though. 4 flippers, playfield lcd sceeen that has a lot of info, spinning gobstopper, subway, Lighted interactive wonka tower, outlane kickback, magnets...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Lermods.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-price-increase-on-all-machines-1-1-2021?tu=Lermods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.