(Topic ID: 276728)

Stern price increase on ALL machines 1/1/2021

By Wanimal

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20210827-200026_Samsung Internet.jpg
    icarus (resized).jpg
    IMG_4486 (resized).JPG
    E71B0527-1F4F-4C58-9FA4-30BEBDEF7C71.gif
    IMG_4459 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4461 (resized).JPG
    AE61C7EF-3DB6-43B3-A3DE-8313F7416A4A (resized).jpeg
    4204E77B-4104-446D-B9C7-0282594AF74D (resized).jpeg
    snap.gif
    your-so-funny_o_1035046 (resized).jpg
    6a00d83452403c69e2017ee408b998970d (resized).jpg
    1324C443-4692-454E-80A4-10EB6162ADFF (resized).jpeg
    001163B9-83C4-48E6-8649-F51E521DC04E (resized).jpeg
    who_designed-tech_support_3_laughing_man (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CrazyLevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

they were $3700 shipped around family guy, potc, bdk, spiderman time....
    think about that one. not long ago.

13 years seems like a long time to me.

#105 3 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

Can’t agree more. I feel the same way about my Seawitch. You can get 2 to 3 classic Sterns for the price of a new Stern premium. It will be interesting to see how Stern’s price increase impacts, if any, the secondary market for older pins.

All games, except ems, will go up about $100 in value just like every year.

So it won’t be very interesting. We’ve been seeing this for 10 years now.

#108 3 years ago
    Quoted from chooch:

It's amazing all the excuses people will make for Stern. While some commodities go up in price there are also others that come down. Everyone seems to be OK when Stern raises prices due to commodities increasing however I doubt they reduce prices when commodities drop in price such as steel. I don't blame Stern for constantly raising prices because they are in the business to make money and when Avengers LE's sell out within a few hours then they clearly left money on the table. However call a spade a spade and just say Stern is increasing prices to get the most money from their product and quit blaming it on the economy, commodities, taxes, inflation, licensing, or whatever other bull shit excuses you want to make to justify their increases. I guarantee if people stopped buying their machines prices would magically come down even if the fucking price of lumber was still increasing because they are selling these machines well above their BOM.

It’s amazing all the people who engage in this same ritual every year when stern raised prices $100, which is as inevitable as Tax Day. A dumb outrage thread which immediately becomes a rolling stern grievance thread going back 33 years of alleged pinball crimes.

Don’t you people ever get sick of this useless endeavor?

Find a new hobby. Does the peace corps still exist?

#112 3 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

I think you are over simplifying your analysis. The past doesn’t always predict the future. At some point Stern will hit the ceiling with its NIB prices whether it’s due to inflation, increases in cost of materials or just trying to maximize profit. At that point, people will start looking elsewhere for their pinball fix. Maybe it will be classic Sterns, maybe it will be the Bally Williams pins. I think it will be interesting. Everything about this hobby is interesting. In the end, I guess every pin doesn’t increase exactly $100 across the board every year. Anyone that follows this hobby knows that’s not correct.

The past predicts that stern will raise prices every year just like everybody else on everything and the past also predicts the same dozen idiots plus a few “look at me!” Newbies will engage in the “shame on stern!” Circle jerk which inevitably becomes another ghosting, dimpling, and topper thread.

The present proves this is correct.

#138 3 years ago

I’m trying to figure out if everybody here knows why they get a raise every year.

Hint: it’s probably not because you are doing a good job.

#140 3 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

This guy thinks we all get raises every year.

Well don’t you think you should? Surely you are performing well enough that you deserve a measly cost of living increase annually.

Or else your pay is actually going down every year.

#234 3 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

I have no dought Sterns been hurt with the number of arcades and barcades closed

I have my doubts it's hurt that much. Seems like business as usual over there.

Home sales are through the roof. I know many people who NEVER before talked about buying games and they've pulled the trigger the last few months. Gotta do something with that canceled vacation trip money.

#240 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

That is ridiculous.

Yeah I don't see anybody here clamoring for a return to the Sharkey's Shootout/Striker Extreme days.

#243 3 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

which is a big part of prices going up...
    everything now is a licensed theme and they need to recoup their money on those fees.
    I would imagine one of the bigger expenses per game is the license.

It's not rocket science.

Everything goes up in price every year.

Supply costs go up. Labor costs go up, from the guys designing games to the people assembling them on the lines to the truck drivers hauling games to the airport or distributors. I guess people here don't think designers like Keith and all the people involved in designing, building, and distributing these mega successful games should get raises every year, but I'd guess these employees - and management - disagree.

People here really think the extra $100 they need to spend on a new game every year just goes to buy Gary Stern another ivory backscratcher. WHy aren't they sending angry letters to the Frito Lay CEO over the fact that a bag of Doritos goes up 10 cents a year? WHy aren't they bitching at the cable company for the annual $9 increase in their bill? Are you on some La-Z-boy forum ranting about the fact that the Murray Recliner with built in cooler and massage rollers went up $30 this year?

WHy do people here seem to think the laws of finance and inflation apply to everything but pinball, and that these MEAGER nominal annual price increases are some kind of a personal affront and cash grab?

Are pinball people really that stupid they can't understand what is going on here? Stop trying to isolate pinball from everything else in the world. Pinball is not some magical product assembled on a secret island by slave labor Oompa Loompas where they are immune to the same financial pressures and cost of living adjustments as everybody else, and every price increase is somehow 100 percent padded profit. You are making fools of yourselves and inviting ridicule!
    snap.gifsnap.gif

And yes, I just posted a Cher gif. My mom makes us watch this goddamn movie every Thanksgiving!

#298 3 years ago

They did the early Beatles and cut dev costs and do a reskin to make it work financially.

Your theory - like most here about Stern and their business practices - is terrible and not related to reality.

Stern saved no money "reskinning" a game designed in the 1970s. It's not like they just popped in an old floppy disk and slapped new art on an old game called it a day.

Every single post in Beatles is in a different position than the seawitch game. It's a different layout, and it had to be designed fresh just like any other new game.

People were begging Stern for YEARS to "update" old layouts. They finally did it and there was a meltdown here. SHOCKER!

#305 3 years ago

I am sure to some people.. I like many people enjoy the Beatles once they got hopped up on the pot etc in 65.
    before that it was mostly well written but banal crap about "oh girl this and oh girl that".
    Even McCartney says that.. they were pandering to their fan base and didnt start writing for themselves until later.

I hate to break it to you...but SOMEBODY must have liked the "Beatlemania" era of Beatles. They sold millions of records and became a global phenomenon. I want to Hold your Hand sold 12 MILLION copies. No rock band in the past 60 years has reached that kind of worldwide grip on pop culture that the Beatles had from 1963-1965.

That didn't just disappear when they took acid and started hanging out in India.

Stern Beatles is a great game, and it is based upon their most popular period. Fun, looks cool, sounds cool, it's the Beatles. I'm not sure what a two-year old game has to do with Stern's annual price increase in 2020 but I'm sure somebody will tell me. Or is this just another rolling Stern pinball crime grievance thread?!

#307 3 years ago

All I am saying is for them to do the machine they did they must have been restricted as to what they could do. Thats all.

Every single license in the history of pinball came with restrictions as to what they could do. They don't just hand over the IP and say "go at it boys, whatever you do is cool with us no need for sign off!"

Can you offer us any other earthshaking licensing/business insights?

#312 3 years ago
    Quoted from Extraballz:

Of course you are correct about why people really melted down but Levi loves his revisionist history.

People had dumb, unrealistic ideas that a game without ramps can somehow be sold for $3500. The STILL do. That’s not my fault.

Drop target banks cost more than ramps.

11 months later
    #345 2 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

Death, taxes, and Stern price hikes...

Don’t you mean all pinball price hikes?

Is there a single manufacturer who doesn’t raise prices regularly?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CrazyLevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-price-increase-on-all-machines-1-1-2021?tu=CrazyLevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.