(Topic ID: 276728)

Stern price increase on ALL machines 1/1/2021

By Wanimal

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20210827-200026_Samsung Internet.jpg
    icarus (resized).jpg
    IMG_4486 (resized).JPG
    E71B0527-1F4F-4C58-9FA4-30BEBDEF7C71.gif
    IMG_4459 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4461 (resized).JPG
    AE61C7EF-3DB6-43B3-A3DE-8313F7416A4A (resized).jpeg
    4204E77B-4104-446D-B9C7-0282594AF74D (resized).jpeg
    snap.gif
    your-so-funny_o_1035046 (resized).jpg
    6a00d83452403c69e2017ee408b998970d (resized).jpg
    1324C443-4692-454E-80A4-10EB6162ADFF (resized).jpeg
    001163B9-83C4-48E6-8649-F51E521DC04E (resized).jpeg
    who_designed-tech_support_3_laughing_man (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 358 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
    #1 3 years ago

I saw this on Facebook from a distributor. It looks like the $100 price increase to Avengers will be retroactive on all machines beginning New year. I am newer to the hobby and actually just got my first Stern (Star Trek Pro). It's only my second machine after a WCS 94 and I couldn't believe how much cheaper it was made. No support rails for the playfield, plastic apron, stamped metal back box, etc.

Kind of ridiculous they're increasing prices across the board while they continuously cut corners. Icarus is flying too close to the sun.

Screenshot_20200904-182420~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200904-182420~2 (resized).png
    #2 3 years ago

Absolute joke stern should be ashamed of themselves

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wanimal:

Kind of ridiculous they're increasing prices across the board while they continuously cut corners.

Yeah, you are indeed new here.

Unfortunately this isn’t a surprise to anyone who has bought Stern games for the last few years.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Absolute joke stern should be ashamed of themselves

I would put 100% of the blame on the Federal Reserve instead. They are the ones distorting prices for everyone. My guess is the $100 increase is for the cost of the lumber that more than doubled these past several months.

#5 3 years ago

Then you’d be blown away to look at a Seawitch, Classic Stern in the 80s was mega cheap and bleeding money.
    And then when they became Data East, always cutting costs. I love DE games and they had neat innovations coupled with garbage cost-cutting.
    There’s a reason they’ve been able to reinvent so many times and stay in business. It sucks but the profits keep coming.

#6 3 years ago

Operators aren't buying. Location pinball is dead until covid is cured. They need to make money somehow with the lower demand. Hobby keeps attracting noobs with pockets full of cash. Why not raise prices. Good job Stern!

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Flipper_McGavin:

I would put 100% of the blame on the Federal Reserve instead. They are the ones distorting prices for everyone. My guess is the $100 increase is for the cost of the lumber that more than doubled these past several months.

From July to August lumber jumped 29%. The same house I framed in July, was $7800 cheaper for the framing lumber, than in August...Ouch....

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from elcolonel:

From July to August lumber jumped 29%. The same house I framed in July, was $7800 cheaper for the framing lumber, than in August...Ouch....

So their BOM for wood might have increased, but they keep cutting corners to increase their profit margin. They are not a publicly traded company. they can eat some of their profits temporarily since they cut so many corners instead of keep screwing over consumers.

I don't understand the attitude of some people saying "yay" to this sort of attitude. I have a small business and my costs have changed this year significantly as I do dealings with China, but I'm not going to push that on to my customers as I can still keep my lights on.

#9 3 years ago

I’m guessing licensing costs have gone up as well. My guess is Disney is being squeezed by falling revenue as well. Until theaters and theme parks are full again, the mouse is going to have to go after $$$ some other way.

#10 3 years ago

Why wouldn’t they raise prices, the Avengers LE sold out in hours by showing a picture of it!

#11 3 years ago

For my personal buying they've been going up around (average) of $133 per year since my first NIB in 2014

Quoted from Wanimal:

I don't understand the attitude of some people saying "yay" to this sort of attitude..

Let me explain it to you. Hobby is filled with DEEP pockets who really don't give a shit aboot $100. Not that hard to grasp.

#12 3 years ago

I'm good it provided they reinvest a bit so I don't have to spend hours tinkering on a NIB. They're churning out fun games and kept torch alive, hope gary is sitting on a pile of cash

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

For my personal buying they've been going up around (average) of $133 per year since my first NIB in 2014

Let me explain it to you. Hobby is filled with DEEP pockets who really don't give a shit aboot $100. Not that hard to grasp.

I understand that and I can grasp that LOL, but why celebrate raising prices while CONSTANTLY cutting corners?

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from elcolonel:

Pressure treated is even worse. Building a deck and a 5/4x6x16' board just cost me $27.40 plus tax! That was a "premium" board, close to clear but even the #2 grade is $20 when you can find one.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wanimal:

I understand that and I can grasp that LOL, but why celebrate raising prices while CONSTANTLY cutting corners?

No one is celebrating it and certainly no one is happy with cutting corners. Fortunately some of the changes have been reversed (cabinet quality, support pegs) but there’s a long way to go to get back to the build quality of 6-7 years ago.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wanimal:

Because a lot of folks don’t care about quality of materials and any attention to detail. Over the last half decade, Stern games feel more like toys than commercial gaming equipment.

And I’m certainly guilty of padding their coffers.

#17 3 years ago

Well they're off to a great start with that.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

No one is celebrating it and certainly no one is happy with cutting corners. Fortunately some of the changes have been reversed (cabinet quality, support pegs) but there’s a long way to go to get back to the build quality of 6-7 years ago.

You say no one is celebrating but there is literally a comment on this post with 5 upvotes right now that says good job stern lol.

#19 3 years ago

I’m sorry but everything goes up every year, typically 2-3%. Sometimes more sometimes less. 3% of $7599 is $227.97 so $100 is a bargain.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

I’m sorry but everything goes up every year, typically 2-3%. Sometimes more sometimes less. 3% of $7599 is $227.97 so $100 is a bargain.

Is it really a bargain if they keep cutting corners though? What is it a bargain for if the machine is continuously built with lesser quality parts and you are paying more...

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wanimal:

So their BOM for wood might have increased, but they keep cutting corners to increase their profit margin. They are not a publicly traded company. they can eat some of their profits temporarily since they cut so many corners instead of keep screwing over consumers.
    I don't understand the attitude of some people saying "yay" to this sort of attitude. I have a small business and my costs have changed this year significantly as I do dealings with China, but I'm not going to push that on to my customers as I can still keep my lights on.

The people saying "Good job Stern for raising prices" are likely 3 star generals in the Stern Army lol.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from Sluggo39:

Why wouldn’t they raise prices, the Avengers LE sold out in hours by showing a picture of it!

That's not how limited editions work LOL. I collect posters and art prints as well. Most drops that I collect sell out instantaneously, but the artists don't keep increasing prices or making more.

#23 3 years ago

Reminder that cost to manufacture and the sales price are not really related. The sales price is based on the market.

#24 3 years ago

When mimimum wage is $15 an hour, a skilled worker is worth way more. Cost of goods always go up when wages go up. I don't like paying more either, but quit crying about it. Does no good. I can guarantee prices will not be going down any time soon.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

Reminder that cost to manufacture and the sales price are not really related. The sales price is based on the market.

I'm aware. It's just really odd to me the market bends over for increasingly inferior products. Like I said in my initial post I think it's Icarus flying too close to the sun.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

When mimimum wage is $15 an hour, a skilled worker is worth way more. Cost of goods always go up when wages go up. I don't like paying more either, but quit crying about it. Does no good. I can guarantee prices will not be going down any time soon.

I'm not crying just trying to have open discussion about a company who keeps increasing prices while producing an increasingly inferior product. sounds like you could use a new pair of knee pads with your mindset.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wanimal:

I'm aware. It's just really odd to me the market bends over for increasingly inferior products. Like I said in my initial post I think it's Icarus flying too close to the sun.

you can always start your own pinball company and lower the cost. Just curious, do you work for free, have you ever wanted or received a raise. Because most people want that, and never knew that profit was a bad word.

Also curious, i just looked at you collection page, and you have never owned a stern, so really odd complaining about constant cut corners when you never had one

#28 3 years ago

Classy guy ain't ya? Just making a point that prices go up every year on everything. Why you makin it sexual?

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Classy guy ain't ya? Just making a point that prices go up every year on everything. Why you makin it sexual?

aimed at wanimal

#30 3 years ago

What about $100? Folks pay $15k for POTC, $12.5 for MMRE, $10k+ for RaM, +$1000 over street for TMNT LE and will pay likely pay up to +$1000 more for TAV LE. Only $100 is a bargain! Manufacturing costs must have gone down this year with all that has been going on. No?

Also Folks demand a 2%+ a year pay raises each year but also want to pay the same price for clothes, food, healthcare, transportation, utilities and other important “needs“ such as a “Loaded” “deeply coded” pinball machine. Somethings gotta give I guess?

#31 3 years ago

They are just getting warmed up. Wait till they add internet conductivity. They will start selling you DLC. Modes for your game that should have been included from day one.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

you can always start your own pinball company and lower the cost. Just curious, do you work for free, have you ever wanted or received a raise. Because most people want that, and never knew that profit was a bad word.
    Also curious, i just looked at you collection page, and you have never owned a stern, so really odd complaining about constant cut corners when you never had one

Indeed. Profit is not a bad word!

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Inflation has been no where near 3%; especially excluding food and healthcare. And should be more than offset by the positive impact of technology and productivity like Spike and their new, more efficient factory. Their pricing has little to do with inflation and everything to do with maximizing profit - as it should be with any well run business; especially one that dominates the market with 80-90% share.

#34 3 years ago

The “it’s only 100” “you pay 10k anyway” mentality is what causes the prices in this hobby to get out of control... random price hikes, 1000 toppers, it’s not cool.,,

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

Did you read the initial post lol? I said I had a Star Trek.

"yOu CaN sTaRt YoUrE OwN CoMpAnY" or I can be a customer that has valid concerns? If I had a complaint about my health care bill would you tell me to start a hospital?

Making a profit is okay. Cutting corners is not.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

You weren't "just making a point". If that were the case you wouldn't have said I was crying?

#38 3 years ago

Wages up, prices up. Good for income equality! We need to pay more support them

Despite PPP they got when taxes go back up for them in 2021 you can add another few hundred

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wanimal:

You weren't "just making a point". If that were the case you wouldn't have said I was crying?

Ok you win.

#40 3 years ago

Honestly? $100 is a joke when you live in Canada and pay 13% taxes on TOP of the exchange rate.
    Fortunately, the f/x isn’t too bad right now so on Avengers LE, it’s 13% x 1.31 x pin price.
    I’ve previously purchased when the CDN was much weaker resulting in an increase of a 10% higher price!
    TEN PERCENT!
    So $100? I’m far more concerned that Stern has Keith Elwin, Zombie Yeti, Lyman Sheats, Steve Ritchie, John Borg, George Gomez, Dwight Sullivan and the rest of the pinball A-team hard at work, making games that are worth the price tag.
    Not to mention the Deadflip videos that are produced, explaining the rules and showing off all the toys.
    But of course, to each their own. If you don’t think the games are worth it, that’s an opinion that you’re entitled to.

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wanimal:

Did you read the initial post lol? I said I had a Star Trek.
    "yOu CaN sTaRt YoUrE OwN CoMpAnY" or I can be a customer that has valid concerns? If I had a complaint about my health care bill would you tell me to start a hospital?
    Making a profit is okay. Cutting corners is not.

Respect your elders (edit)

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Respect your elders noob motherfucker.

I'm aware who Troy is. he obviously commented without even reading my post. It doesn't make my points any less valid?

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wanimal:

I'm aware who Troy is. he obviously commented without even reading my post. It doesn't make my points any less valid?

Is that a question?
    Are you asking me?
    (edit)

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Is that a question?
    Are you asking me?
    Cause my answer is always FUCK YOU, regardless of the question.

Tell me how you really feel!

Sure it's a question. Is my point less valid? I didn't DiSrEsPeCt anyone. Maybe he should have read before commenting.

#45 3 years ago

(edited by mod team)

#46 3 years ago

Salty from not finding a trade on that Vette?

#47 3 years ago

Lol. Naw., just drunk and always salty.
    That Vette has been there for 7 years, no hurry now.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Lol. Naw., just drunk and always salty.
    That Vette has been there for 7 years, no hurry now.

I can tell you're always salty so I don't really take offense . I'll go fuck myself now.

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wanimal:

Is it really a bargain if they keep cutting corners though?

Yep. I’d actually prefer it if they cut MORE corners.

#50 3 years ago

I don't get it. this is how business works? almost everything costs more over time.

There are 358 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-price-increase-on-all-machines-1-1-2021?hl=swampy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.