14 days ago

Topic Stats

• 332 posts
  • 119 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by fosaisu
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 15 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4486 (resized).JPG
    E71B0527-1F4F-4C58-9FA4-30BEBDEF7C71.gif
    IMG_4459 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4461 (resized).JPG
    AE61C7EF-3DB6-43B3-A3DE-8313F7416A4A (resized).jpeg
    4204E77B-4104-446D-B9C7-0282594AF74D (resized).jpeg
    snap.gif
    your-so-funny_o_1035046 (resized).jpg
    6a00d83452403c69e2017ee408b998970d (resized).jpg
    1324C443-4692-454E-80A4-10EB6162ADFF (resized).jpeg
    001163B9-83C4-48E6-8649-F51E521DC04E (resized).jpeg
    who_designed-tech_support_3_laughing_man (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200904-182420~2 (resized).png

There are 332 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
    #301 8 days ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Some would say they were " in their prime" during 1964.

Don't tell that to the dude with a fat Elvis avatar

#302 8 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Your theory - like most here about Stern and their business practices - is terrible and not related to reality.
    Stern saved no money "reskinning" a game designed in the 1970s. It's not like they just popped in an old floppy disk and slapped new art on an old game called it a day.
    Every single post in Beatles is in a different position than the seawitch game. It's a different layout, and it had to be designed fresh just like any other new game.
    People were begging Stern for YEARS to "update" old layouts. They finally did it and there was a meltdown here. SHOCKER!

Beatles rocks. Folks should really give it a shot. Not only is it better than sea witch with the loop actually working, but it added the magnets, the spinning disk, the opto spinners, the super jackpot behind the left hand drops. And all of that comes with the modern super snappy Stern flippers to make the game a blast.

#303 8 days ago

Licensing with the Beatles is simple.

You pay what they want and you get what they give you.

No way Stern had a choice in Era, Images or Song selection.

#304 8 days ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Some would say they were " in their prime" during 1964.

I am sure to some people.. I like many people enjoy the Beatles once they got hopped up on the pot etc in 65.

before that it was mostly well written but banal crap about "oh girl this and oh girl that".

Even McCartney says that.. they were pandering to their fan base and didnt start writing for themselves until later.

#305 8 days ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

I am sure to some people.. I like many people enjoy the Beatles once they got hopped up on the pot etc in 65.
    before that it was mostly well written but banal crap about "oh girl this and oh girl that".
    Even McCartney says that.. they were pandering to their fan base and didnt start writing for themselves until later.

I hate to break it to you...but SOMEBODY must have liked the "Beatlemania" era of Beatles. They sold millions of records and became a global phenomenon. I want to Hold your Hand sold 12 MILLION copies. No rock band in the past 60 years has reached that kind of worldwide grip on pop culture that the Beatles had from 1963-1965.

That didn't just disappear when they took acid and started hanging out in India.

Stern Beatles is a great game, and it is based upon their most popular period. Fun, looks cool, sounds cool, it's the Beatles. I'm not sure what a two-year old game has to do with Stern's annual price increase in 2020 but I'm sure somebody will tell me. Or is this just another rolling Stern pinball crime grievance thread?!

#306 8 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I hate to break it to you...but SOMEBODY must have liked the "Beatlemania" era of Beatles. They sold millions of records and became a global phenomenon. I want to Hold your Hand sold 12 MILLION copies. No rock band in the past 60 years has reached that kind of worldwide grip on pop culture that the Beatles had from 1963-1965.
    That didn't just disappear when they took acid and started hanging out in India.
    Stern Beatles is a great game. Fun, looks cool, sounds cool, it's the Beatles. I'm not sure what a two-year old game has to do with Stern's annual price increase in 2020 but I'm sure somebody will tell me. Or is this just another rolling Stern pinball crime grievance thread?!

Its not like I am saying the Beatles suck or something..

All I am saying is for them to do the machine they did they must have been restricted as to what they could do. Thats all.

Its one of the most difficult and expensive licenses on the planet

#307 8 days ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

All I am saying is for them to do the machine they did they must have been restricted as to what they could do. Thats all.

Every single license in the history of pinball came with restrictions as to what they could do. They don't just hand over the IP and say "go at it boys, whatever you do is cool with us no need for sign off!"

Can you offer us any other earthshaking licensing/business insights?

#308 8 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Every single license in the history of pinball comes with restrictions. Price of doing business.
    Can you offer us any other licensing/business insights that will blow our minds and completely reshape our worldviews?

No... but I can tell you as Beatles fan that machine was the biggest disappointment by far in my time as a pinball collector.

If you think of the songs and themes they could have done and what a wasted opportunity it was.. its kinda sad.

glad some people like it though.

#309 8 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Stern saved no money "reskinning" a game designed in the 1970s. It's not like they just popped in an old floppy disk and slapped new art on an old game called it a day.
    Every single post in Beatles is in a different position than the seawitch game. It's a different layout, and it had to be designed fresh just like any other new game.

Yes. Agreed.

It looks similar to Seawitch, but that is about all. I like my Seawitch, don't get me wrong, but there is so much more to do on Beatles. Seawitch is 11 drop targets; Wash, rinse, repeat. Beatles offers the modes, music, and 2-3 other tricks. Whether you are a fan of the art and colors doesn't really matter. When you are playing, everything fades into the back ground.

#310 8 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People were begging Stern for YEARS to "update" old layouts. They finally did it and there was a meltdown here. SHOCKER!

If I remember correctly, people were begging Stern to update old layouts at less than the pro price point.
    When Beatles was released the "meltdown" wasn't over the reskin as much as the price and the artistic choices.

#311 8 days ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

If I remember correctly, people were begging Stern to update old layouts at less than the pro price point.
    When Beatles was released the "meltdown" wasn't over the reskin as much as the price and the artistic choices.

Of course you are correct about why people really melted down but Levi loves his revisionist history.

#312 8 days ago
    Quoted from Extraballz:

Of course you are correct about why people really melted down but Levi loves his revisionist history.

People had dumb, unrealistic ideas that a game without ramps can somehow be sold for $3500. The STILL do. That’s not my fault.

Drop target banks cost more than ramps.

#313 8 days ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Yeah, people talked themselves (hard to believe I know) into games being cheaper! The high price sucked indeed for such a fun game.

#314 8 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I hate to break it to you...but SOMEBODY must have liked the "Beatlemania" era of Beatles. They sold millions of records and became a global phenomenon. I want to Hold your Hand sold 12 MILLION copies.

The early Beatles were better than what came before them, but the later Beatles were even better than that.

I don't know if Stern passed on the later stuff due to no availability, costs or whatever. Doesn't matter either, we got what they made. Game plays fine but I'll always see it as a missed opportunity.

#315 7 days ago

Maybe they couldn't do Sgt. Peppers because of all the likenesses on the album cover? Including Taxi's own Marilyn, err I mean Lola!

You're gonna need more than just the Paul Faris kid and Gary's face to photoshop all those famous people!

Or would you rather have a White Album theme? All white playfield, cabinet, and backbox.

Then we would be reading: "Why couldn't they do Beatlemania with Ed Sullivan clips!?! Missed the mark!!!"

#316 7 days ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

As Ren and Stimpy would say...
    It's Log...It's Log...It's big - It's heavy - It's Wood.
    It's Log...It's Log...It's better than bad, It's good!

No sir, I don't like it.

#317 3 days ago

Speaking of price increases, Fed Ex is boosting its rates in January.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/14/business/fedex-hiring-holiday-season/index.html

"The company says it's also increasing its shipping rates in January 2021."

#318 3 days ago

Speaking of price increases vs. making the package smaller., I wish DeWalt had just raised its price instead. And the same for Milwaukee drill bit indexes, as well.

Do you see what is missing? You won't notice until you go to reach for it and it is not there. And I am not talking the 5/64" bit that is obviously missing.

IMG_4486 (resized).JPG

Stern is not doing anything any different from any other company with regards to annual price increases.

#319 3 days ago
    Quoted from pb456:

No sir, I don't like it.

Do u have any rubber walrus protectors. Classic
    What a great theme for a pin.

#320 3 days ago

One question please, in Stern website, the prices are with or without taxes? Regards.

#321 3 days ago
    Quoted from Galvez1978:

One question please, in Stern website, the prices are with or without taxes? Regards.

The prices they list is MSRP, so you should never actually be paying that amount. It should always be less.

#322 3 days ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

The prices they list is MSRP, so you should never actually be paying that amount. It should always be less.

Thanks!!! In Spain there are only one Distributor, and in rare occasion make a discount, i just buy a Jurassic Park Premium and the prices are very high in comparison with USA, the price of the Premium is 9075€ around 10700USD

#323 3 days ago
    Quoted from Galvez1978:

Thanks!!! In Spain there are only one Distributor, and in rare occasion make a discount, i just buy a Jurassic Park Premium and the prices are very high in comparison with USA, the price of the Premium is 9075€ around 10700USD

I think prices for NIB Sterns are always higher in Europe and Australia than in the US. Nature of the beast.

I wonder if you could shop around at other EU distributors to find better NIB pricing? Of course shipping could kill the deal, and then you’d have to go through a remote distributor for service if needed.

#324 2 days ago
    Quoted from Galvez1978:

You could always shop around with US distriputors to see what the cost is with shipping they still need dollers so that would still need to go into the equation

#325 2 days ago

It is doubtful US distributors are allowed to sell into Spain. Not only voltage differences but sales agreements.

#326 2 days ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

It is doubtful US distributors are allowed to sell into Spain. Not only voltage differences but sales agreements.

Almost certainly the case. You'd probably have to get a friend in the US to buy for you and arrange for shipping to Spain. And then you've got the import process (and taxes) to deal with. Might still be worth it financially but a lot of logistics to work out.

#327 2 days ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Almost certainly the case. You'd probably have to get a friend in the US to buy for you and arrange for shipping to Spain. And then you've got the import process (and taxes) to deal with. Might still be worth it financially but a lot of logistics to work out.

He did say $10,700 US dollars

#328 2 days ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Right. So if a Premium Stateside would be $7,400 + tax (just a guess, haven't looked at it in a while), you'd have to figure out if the $3,300 difference would cover shipping to Europe, US sales tax (if any), import taxes/duties (I'm assuming these would suck), and whatever you have to pay your stateside buddy to buy and ship it for you, and leave enough leftover to make it all worthwhile given the likely delay and risk of game damage and other inevitable headaches in shipping something this large and valuable.

$3,300 is a significant difference, so it could still make sense, but it's not exactly free money.

#329 2 days ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Right. So if a Premium Stateside would be $7,400 + tax (just a guess, haven't looked at it in a while), you'd have to figure out if the $3,300 difference would cover shipping to Europe, US sales tax (if any), import taxes/duties (I'm assuming these would suck), and whatever you have to pay your stateside buddy to buy and ship it for you, and leave enough leftover to make it all worthwhile given the likely delay and risk of game damage and other inevitable headaches shipping something this large and valuable.
    $3,300 is a significant difference, so it could still make sense, but it's not exactly free money.

Yes i'm agree, it's a difference, and there are a lot of thing in these amount, intercontinental transport, import taxes, country taxes (21%), and here we have two years of warranty too.
    In USA have one or two years of warranty?

Regards!!

#330 2 days ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Quoted from fosaisu:

Right. So if a Premium Stateside would be $7,400 + tax (just a guess, haven't looked at it in a while), you'd have to figure out if the $3,300 difference would cover shipping to Europe, US sales tax (if any), import taxes/duties (I'm assuming these would suck), and whatever you have to pay your stateside buddy to buy and ship it for you, and leave enough leftover to make it all worthwhile given the likely delay and risk of game damage and other inevitable headaches shipping something this large and valuable.

Part if the cost differential is the exchange rate. Currently the the rate is .85 Euros to the dollar. So, something costing $9,000 US funds is going to cost 9,000 / .85 = Euros 10,588.00

Quoted from Galvez1978:

9075€/ .85 = $ 10.676.47

#331 1 day ago

Won't work - spike games check for 50/60hz. After converting the game to 220v, the american imported game will give an error on the display here in Europe.
    Only thing he can do is check if there are dealers in other countries that are cheaper and buy it from them.

#332 1 day ago
    Quoted from aeneas:

Won't work - spike games check for 50/60hz. After converting the game to 220v, the american imported game will give an error on the display here in Europe.

Wow, so Spike games aren't convertible between voltages?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 10.50
    Playfield - Protection
    The MOD Couple
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 29.99
    $ 69.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 47.95
    Lighting - Interactive
    MicksPinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.95
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 5,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 99.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 7.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 229.99
    $ 49.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 159.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 99.00
    Playfield - Other
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    There are 332 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside