Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Tuukka
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

So today I got my Led Zep Premium...my first NIB game and my first Stern.

Like the rest of my games, it's plugged into a wall outlet that is attached to a wall switch. So when I'm done with the gameroom for the night, I just hit the wall switch and leave.

Tonight, as I did that, I looked back and saw that somehow my LZ stayed on.
Okay, so I guess modern Stern games have some sort of a battery back-up? If that's the case, is there any reason why I should be concerned about leaving the pinball on and allowing it to sit there running off the battery backup until it depletes?

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from gwarrior:

so I guess modern Stern games have some sort of a battery back-up?

For memory. Not to remain on.

Your wall switch isn't turning that outlet off.

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago

Obviously it feels you weren't done playing it!

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from gwarrior:

So today I got my Led Zep Premium...my first NIB game and my first Stern.
Like the rest of my games, it's plugged into a wall outlet that is attached to a wall switch. So when I'm done with the gameroom for the night, I just hit the wall switch and leave.
Tonight, as I did that, I looked back and saw that somehow my LZ stayed on.
Okay, so I guess modern Stern games have some sort of a battery back-up? If that's the case, is there any reason why I should be concerned about leaving the pinball on and allowing it to sit there running off the battery backup until it depletes?

I think iirc they take a bit to boot and they must use big or super caps to help, but they stay on a few seconds after the power is cut.

How long did the game stay on?

Also most outlets that are switched. Usually only one plug of the two are actually switched. Have you verified that is the case?

#5 2 years ago

If you only have 1 pinball plugged into each switched outlet you are probably be ok but it wouldn’t hurt to check to make sure the switch isn’t connected via the spring loaded push clamp connector thingy. Can you tell I don’t know the technical name? Rather it’s better to use the screw mounts on the switch. Not sure your age of house tho either. (This isn’t addressing your issue brought up but if you have several games on one switch it’s best not to use those spring connectors)

Yeah if you turned off your switch for just a second you may still have some residual power for maybe 3 seconds. If your switch is off for more than 5 or 6 and the game is on…you got the wrong outlet.

#6 2 years ago

Switching power supplies, such as in Stern games, take a big current surge at turn-on, because there is a large filter capacitor directly at mains input (behind a rectifier of course). This surge can cause wall switch contacts to weld together and stay closed.

Most often this occurs with remote controlled sockets, but I would not be surprised if it happens with a wall switch also.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 105.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 65.99
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 9,499.99
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Edenton, NC
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Plastics
Inscribed Solutions

$ 39.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-power-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.