(Topic ID: 154797)

Stern: Powdercoating the naughty plastic bits

By Damonator

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0767_(resized).JPG
    IMG_0772_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg
    #1 8 years ago

On most Stern games, there are 3 plastic pieces on the armor that don't play nice with powdercoat and/or plating: the tournament button plug in the lockdown bar, the coin chute frames and the coin returns.

I see that PinballLife sells a "no hole" lockdown bar, but it states several games in the description that it will not fit (TSPP, LOTR, RBION, etc). Will it fit these games with modification...or does it require a new lockdown receiver to go with it?

For the coin door - not sure how to get around this one. The only thing I can think of is to use the Stern frame with a WPC-95 door, but I've never tried this so I'm not sure if it would work.

Thoughts?

#2 8 years ago

You have a couple options. First for the lockdown bar, just get the pinball life bar and the matching lockdown receiver and you're set there.

For the coin door you have to decide what you want to do. You can leave the plastic parts black and that actually looks pretty good. Especially if you leave the bolts that hold the coin door black and get black leg bolts.

The other option is to use a powder from say cardinal as they sell touch up paint cans that are a perfect match for their powders. Then you can just paint those pieces. I've done it both ways. Here is a blue coin door powder coated leaving it black as I suggested. In this case, it stands out with the plunger tip.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#3 8 years ago

That Iron Maiden looks incredible! Thanks for the ideas - I think I know what I'm going to do now. I'll post back when it's finished...

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

On most Stern games, there are 3 plastic pieces on the armor that don't play nice with powdercoat and/or plating: the tournament button plug in the lockdown bar, the coin chute frames and the coin returns.
    I see that PinballLife sells a "no hole" lockdown bar, but it states several games in the description that it will not fit (TSPP, LOTR, RBION, etc). Will it fit these games with modification...or does it require a new lockdown receiver to go with it?
    For the coin door - not sure how to get around this one. The only thing I can think of is to use the Stern frame with a WPC-95 door, but I've never tried this so I'm not sure if it would work.
    Thoughts?

The new Happ doors in my opinion up close don't look good powdered in anything but black. The old WPC doors were smooth and cleanly pressed. The newer happ doors that both stern and jjp use are rough and not uniform in look and texture and powdered in bright colors it stands out like a sore thumb. And of course the coin chute issue. Ask Mark said you can try to paint them but if you get into textured or 2 stage powders you will never find a paint to match. Only solid RAL colors can truly be matched with paint.

#5 8 years ago

Here is another idea for the door. Just do the frame.

IMG_0772_(resized).JPGIMG_0772_(resized).JPG

IMG_0767_(resized).JPGIMG_0767_(resized).JPG

#6 8 years ago

I think the black coin chutes add the needed contrast.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

The new Happ doors in my opinion up close don't look good powdered in anything but black. The old WPC doors were smooth and cleanly pressed. The newer happ doors that both stern and jjp use are rough and not uniform in look and texture and powdered in bright colors it stands out like a sore thumb. And of course the coin chute issue. Ask Mark said you can try to paint them but if you get into textured or 2 stage powders you will never find a paint to match. Only solid RAL colors can truly be matched with paint.

Thanks for pointing that out - I have a WPC skin that I can use instead of powdering the original door.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

Here is another idea for the door. Just do the frame.
    IMG_0772_(resized).JPG

IMG_0767_(resized).JPG

That looks good coupled with the powder in the shooter housing!

#9 8 years ago

Does the Iron Maiden pin have it's own thread?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-powdercoating-the-naughty-bits and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.